Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

cannot (automatically) update to 11.3.300.270 on Windows 7 64-bit systems

New Here ,
Aug 14, 2012 Aug 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I'm trying to build an SCCM deployment for the latest Adobe Flash package.  I registered for the licensing program/access with Adobe, and downloaded the MSI file, which I understand is supposed to work on both 32-bit and 64-bit systems.  However, I'm struggling to get the update/upgrade to work on 64-bit Windows 7 systems.

My command line is very simple:

msiexec /i install_flash_player_11_active_x.msi /qn

This seems to work fine on my 32-bit systems, but not so much joy on my 64-bit systems. On the 64-bit systems, it appears to uninstall the previous version of Flash (the majority of my clients are currently at Flash version 11.2.202.228, if that matters), but it does not successfully install the 11.3.300.270 version.  When clicking on the msi and running it by hand, I am getting the following message on my 64-bit systems:

Error 1312.  Cannot create the directory C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash.  A file with this name already exists.  Please rename or remove the file and click Retry, or click Cancel to exit.

Looking at that folder, there appears to be a single file called "Flash", 1kb in size, no apparent file extension.  I can manually delete that 1kb file, and rerun the msi by hand or via the command line, and Flash will successfully install.  However, I need to deploy this software automatically/silently to a very large number of machines.

Any ideas on what's going wrong?  I imagine I can come up with a script to remove that problem file, but it seems like a "hack" for something that should probably work out of the box.  Thanks for any insight.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Aug 15, 2012 Aug 15, 2012

Thanks for the tips, Chris.  You led me in the right direction.  It looks like that "rogue" flash file is really the custom mms.cfg that we attempted to copy to the machines, but in some particular cicumstances in our environment, the file copy/naming did not work properly.  That is the fault of the script we were using, not anything to do with the Flash player install files themselves.

I think we can close this case.  Thanks again for your pointers; they helped us look in the right place and thi

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 14, 2012 Aug 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

This "flash" file is a new one for us.  I've forwarded your post to our installer team and they'd like the following info from you if possible:

- What is the contents of the rogue flash file

- What is the creation date (and does that date coincide with any Flash Player deployments)

- What is the DACL info on the flash file (including owner) - I've got a script that will grab this info, just run steps 1, 2, 4 and 5 on one of the machines with this file.

The silent command line execution of the MSI could be failing due to lack of permissions. He should try launching the command prompt “as administrator”.

Thanks,

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 15, 2012 Aug 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the tips, Chris.  You led me in the right direction.  It looks like that "rogue" flash file is really the custom mms.cfg that we attempted to copy to the machines, but in some particular cicumstances in our environment, the file copy/naming did not work properly.  That is the fault of the script we were using, not anything to do with the Flash player install files themselves.

I think we can close this case.  Thanks again for your pointers; they helped us look in the right place and think about things differently.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 15, 2012 Aug 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for the update, glad you were able to figure this out!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines