11 Replies Latest reply: Aug 17, 2012 1:25 AM by Prodigy9 RSS

What is the best way to port a entire website?

Prodigy9 Community Member

I need to elevate my test site to the production site...  Can anyone tell me if there is an "easy way to just copy the site from one remote ftp to another ftp w/ dreamweaver?

This would include any subdirectories, jquery, images, PHP, etc... at one time.  Can I just select the root and have it copy everything underneath over?

What is the best practice for transferring the new site?  Bring down the old site and erase from the production server?  If I leave the old site live like the client wants I could run into conflicts and then need to go back and delete any remnants of the old site (Which would be a major hassle).

Thanks!

• 1. Re: What is the best way to port a entire website?
          mytaxsite.co.uk CommunityMVP

Can I just select the root and have it copy everything underneath over?

Yes that is the only way to make sure all your file structure is still in place.  When you upload this site, do exactly the same i.e. upload everything to the root folder on your server and the rest will take care of itself.

Good luck.

• 2. Re: What is the best way to port a entire website?
            Ken Binney CommunityMVP

Prodigy9 wrote:

I need to elevate my test site to the production site...  Can anyone tell me if there is an "easy way to just copy the site from one remote ftp to another ftp w/ dreamweaver?

This would include any subdirectories, jquery, images, PHP, etc... at one time.  Can I just select the root and have it copy everything underneath over?

What is the best practice for transferring the new site?  Bring down the old site and erase from the production server?  If I leave the old site live like the client wants I could run into conflicts and then need to go back and delete any remnants of the old site (Which would be a major hassle).

Thanks!

Don'y know about DW's FTP, but other FTP programs allow you to run two instances of the FTP and you can just drag theentire site folder from one remote server to the other.

• 3. Re: What is the best way to port a entire website?
              SnakEyez02 CommunityMVP

If you have root access (dedicated,VPS, etc) or some way to host multiple sites on the same server I'd upload the new site right along side the old site and then point the domain to the new folder/account.  If you don't have that access, first thing I would do is setup a catch-all redirect to push everything at first to a construction page, and then afterwards to the new homepage in case paths have changed with the new site.  Something like the following in htaccess will do the trick:

RewriteEngine On

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !=/index.php

RewriteRule .* /index.php

And I will second what Ken said about a 3rd party FTP client.  Personally I use Transmit as an alternative FTP client and would highly recommend them for a stand-alone client. 

• 4. Re: What is the best way to port a entire website?
                MurraySummers CommunityMVP

Why not just add the new remote site definition to the existing site definition, select that new remote as the active FTP site, and upload everything from local to new remote?

• 5. Re: What is the best way to port a entire website?
                  osgood_ CommunityMVP

Also remember if any of the old site pages have good Google rankings you'll probably want to have some kind of redirect from those to the reciprical pages in the new site or at the very least redirect to the new homepage.

• 6. Re: What is the best way to port a entire website?

Interesting...  Seems like there is multiple ways of doing this...  There is one small thing I'd like to mention.  I need to copy over a database from my test server to their server.  I guess I could do a back-up so the physical database would be on my server.  Once this happens I (If my thinking is clear) I could just copy the backup database file over via FTP. Then rename it if necessary.  But how would I get the Database into their workflow?  I've never had to do this so I'm new to the whole (proper way of doing) the whole process.  I guess I can live and learn...  I just don't want to use the host account other than ftp and I don't think they want to give me access to their web hosting account.  But I do have ftp access...   They did create an ftp account for me.

• 7. Re: What is the best way to port a entire website?
                      MurraySummers CommunityMVP

What database are you using?  Only Access would rely on files.  All others operate in a totally different way.

• 8. Re: What is the best way to port a entire website?

It's basically just an Excel comma delimited spreadsheet;  I imported into a MySQL database.  I'm not sure why but it doesn't show up on the host server until I back it up.  then it gets stored on my test server.  I can then do a restore from back up on the database and I should be up and running at least according to their tech support. 

But seeing as I've never done this before I want to be sure before proceeding.  I don't really want to have access to their main host info...  I was hoping to do everything via FTP.  One other thing is the database has it's own IP address...  I'm not sure if I copy the file over if all this would change...  ahhh  So many questions?

• 9. Re: What is the best way to port a entire website?
                          SnakEyez02 CommunityMVP

Databases being on their own server is not uncommon. It's usually done to help the load balancing.  But as Murray eluded to, you won't be doing this over FTP.  If you have been building this in a SQL server, you can usually export the file as a zip or gzip via phpMyAdmin.  With a new, presumably small database, this probably won't be necessary, but depending on your connection speed most hosts download much faster than they upload so having the smallest file possible can be a time saver.

• 10. Re: What is the best way to port a entire website?

I have access to phpMyAdmin I believe.  And the file isn't really very large.  I was just thinking I could just copy the database after backing up and restoring it on the test server.  Then copy the restored file (or Backup) over via FTP to the prod server.

• 11. Re: What is the best way to port a entire website?

I've transferred/exported the MySQL DB to the client's server/host.  However my question still remains what about the IP address which goes with the database?  Currently I have a sort web address where the MySQL database is stored.  But I don't want this database permanently stored under my hosting account.  I want it to be part of the client's hosting plan.  How can get the IP address or Web Address to point to the server for just their use?

I'm trying to bascially wipe my hands clean after I get the site up and running.  Actually, I have it running the way I like it except for the database and I need to finish web gallery.