• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Strange tags in master pages - any idea how they got there?

Participant ,
Aug 14, 2012 Aug 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

NOTE: This issue is related to my posting (1/2 way down) in http://forums.adobe.com/message/4539747#4539747

but I wanted to start a new thread to separate it as its own problem.

I just noticed that when I create a new topic, I see this unusual local formatting <p class="TABELBODY"> tag in HTML view (see below, 4rth line from bottom). This is where the mysterious "TABLEBODY" formatting is originating that I've been plagued throughout my current project.

1 Default Topic HTLM.jpg

If I delete the default text in this new topic (in Design mode), this <p class="TABELBODY"> still winds up in the topic when viewing in HTML view (see below, 3rd line from bottom).

2 Deleted Default Topic Text HTML.jpg

When you start adding new text in the topic in Design mode, it attaches itself to your first line of text as local formatting (see below, 9th line from bottom):

3 Copied Topic Text HTML.jpg

When you view the topic in Design mode and place your cursor on the first line of text, you'll see this local formatting TABELBODY display in the syle dropdown (see below).

4 Copied Text Design View with Local Style.jpg

I decided to open up a new topic using my other master page, and also noticed strange tags in it  (<?rh-region_start type="body" ?> ). See below, 3rd and 12th lines from bottom.

5 Default Topic Master Page 2 HTML.jpg

Consequently, I finally figured out that both my master pages had junk HTML tags in them, which carried over to all of my topics. I have now fixed the master pages by editing out the junk in the HTML mode.

I did some further investigation and found out that the originating project that was the basis for my current project also had master pages with the same tag issues. So now I'm wondering, how did this start? Maybe someone imported a RH html output file into a project by mistake a long time ago, and it corrupted the master pages right up until this time? Or, could it have been from upgrading from RH 7 to 9?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Boy, this is really getting stranger by the moment...every time I think I have solved a problem in RH, another layer of problems emerges...

I made the minor edits on my two master pages to get rid of the junk tags shown above and did a Save All. Here is the result (see screens below):

Master Page 1 After Edits

6 Master Page 1 HTML View after Editing.jpg

Master Page 2 After Edits

7 Master Page 2 HTML View after Editing.jpg

That's ALL I touched. However, now when I view any topic using these master pages with either the Preview mode (eyeglass icon) or as a final output file, the default text from those master pages displays on top of the topic. Interestingly enough, the master page text does NOT display in these topics in Design mode.

Preview Mode of Topic Using Master Page 1, Displaying Default Text from Master Page 1 on Top

7 Master Page 1 Text Showing on Topics.jpg

Preview Mode of Topic Using Master Page 2, Displaying Default Text from Master Page 2 on Top

9 Master Page 2 Text Showing on Topics.jpg

HTML View of Topic Using Master Page 1

10 Topic Using Master Page 1 HMTL View.jpg

HTML View of Topic Using Master Page 2

11 Topic Using Master Page 2 HMTL View.jpg

I'm crying "uncle" now - help!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update - I restored my two master page files from yesterday's backup (xxxxxx1.htt and xxxxx2.htt) and the topics are back viewing normally again. However, I still have the "junk" html code in them.

Any one know what value this "junk" code brings to RH, and how I can remove it without messing up the browser display of my topics?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 15, 2012 Aug 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

If you remove the junk code and your page looks off, it seems the code was not junk after all

A script might help you here. It can do a fine grained remove of any tag that you don't want.

Greet,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 15, 2012 Aug 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You are right Willam. I reviewed my HTML edits on my master pages and decided to only change <p class="TABLEBODY> to just plain <p>. Everything still works fine. Evidently, this was the real "junk code".

I guess the (<?rh-region_start type="body" ?> ) tag is required for my master pages for proper generation of HTML output files. The reason I thought this tag was junk code was that this tag does not show up in the default master page file (when viewing in HTML mode) when you open a new WebHelp project in RH. I wonder why?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp