• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CFMAIL - Constant 'Exception reading response'

Enthusiast ,
Jan 18, 2012 Jan 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does anybody have any idea if there is a hotfix or way to resolve the problem with CFMAIL constantly dumping perfectly good emails into the undelivered folder, with the logged message Exception reading response?

I put them back in the spool and they work fine, even test emails to myself sometimes end up in there

BTw This is CF8.01

Thanks

Mark

TOPICS
Advanced techniques

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 15, 2012 Feb 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been seeing the exact same problem on our VPS starting two days ago.

Running CF9.0.1 on Windows server 2008

"Error","scheduler-0","02/15/12","14:02:47",,"Exception reading response"

I did a restart on the CF server so maybe that will help some.

Doug

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Feb 15, 2012 Feb 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I already tried reboots, did not seem to make any difference

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
May 10, 2012 May 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wondering if anybody has any solutions to this ongoing problem

I am still seeing perfectly good emails (even emails back to myself) going into the undeliver folder, drop them back into the spool and sometimes they do it again, sometimes they go through with no problem.

Thanks

Mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 15, 2012 Aug 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue. I believe it started a few months ago.   Can't seem to find a pattern.  Sometime the same e-mail will go through one day but not the next - so its not my SMTP server or the recipient email address.  Has anyone solved this yet?

running ColdFusion version  8,0,1,195765

this is an example in the mailsent.log:

"Information","scheduler-5","08/15/12","11:34:44",,"Moved undelivered mail: Mail30590.cfmail to C:\ColdFusion8/Mail/Undelivr directory"

and i have thousands of these in the mail.log

"Error","scheduler-4","08/15/12","11:30:39",,"Exception reading response"

"Error","scheduler-5","08/15/12","11:34:44",,"Exception reading response"

"Error","scheduler-3","08/15/12","11:50:12",,"Exception reading response"

"Error","scheduler-1","08/15/12","11:55:24",,"Exception reading response"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Aug 15, 2012 Aug 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We never found a solution to it, and like you, there's no clear reason and it does appear to be random. We know there is nothing wrong with the email addresses we're sending to.

We can do a small bulk mailing to a few hundred people, including ourselves, and find a small percentage end up in the undelivr folder, we immediately drop them back in the spool and they send fine, sometimes a few don't , repeat the process, and out they all go, rather annoying

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 16, 2012 Aug 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has been happening to us for years so we set up a couple of scheduled jobs to handle it.  The first one moves the files from the undeliverable folder to the spool and sends a notification that this has happened.  The second runs 15 minutes later and checks the undeliverable folder.  If it finds anything, it send notification and then we check to see what happened.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That was one method of taking care of it that did cross my mind. I just needed to be careful that I was not moving genuinly bad emails into the spool and then repeating the process. I could move them and delete what's left a minute later but run the risk of deleting a good email that found it's way in there in-between or one that was moved and bounced back in there again. I could record dates and times but now it's getting messy. Ultimately I would like to fix the problem but it looks like there is no fix for this

Could you upload your 'move' script?

Thanks

Mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you move a genuinely bad mail file back to the spool it will go back to the undeliverable folder and you can look at it when the second job runs.  Then you can decide what to do about it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Understood. It's just a pain when there is a constant flow of email going in as the genuine bad email will find its way back into the undelivr folder, but there will also be good ones in there again that need moving.

It's strange how there don't seem to be more complaints about this, I wonder why it does not happen to everybody.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Regarding, " It's just a pain when there is a constant flow of email going in as the genuine bad email will find its way back into the undelivr folder, but there will also be good ones in there again that need moving."

Those types of pains tend to go away every payday.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 23, 2013 Feb 23, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I know this thread is one year old, but in case you didn't find the reason of your problem, here is what I found in my case.

I discovered that my mail server (Mail Enable) has a default limit of 1000 messages sent per hour. So whenever CF has more than 1000 messages to send, it gets blocked by Mail Enable.

I just remove this limit, restarted the SMTP service, tranfered all messages in the spool and POOF!, all messages were gone!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for taking the time to post in here I never did find a solution, I don't have access to the mail server as we're using the ISP's mail server, even when there is a very low amount of mail going out it still happens, it can literally be on a single email, and nothing has been sent for hours as we're not big emailers (from the server), It may still very well be related to the mail server, although the word 'exception' tends to point me back towards CF, but if you managed to resolve it with a mail server tweak then perhaps it is indeed the mail server. I guess one way would be to try another mail server somewhere, the only problem is that we'd probably suffer from mail delivery issues then as the reverse look ups would not be accurate to the SPF records etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I don't have access to the mail server as we're using the ISP's mail server, even when there is a very low amount of mail going out it still happens,

Then you're probably not the only one using the server.

I got a hint from my mail server logs :

"Postoffice Internetique user xxxx has sent too many messages this hour and message rejected."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation