Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Problems with broken links + moving folders

New Here ,
Aug 15, 2012 Aug 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all -

I'm currently reorganizing the folders in my project using Robohelp 9, and I've been having a lot of issues with topic links being broken. I will move the folders (which, theoretically, should be all I need to do because the links reset when things are moved) and rename them which will then cause my program to crash.

I'll reopen the program/project after the crash and receive warnings that folders are missing and will be recreated... the folders are then recreated but with broken links. HOWEVER, wherever I moved the folder to, everything will still be there and the links will be fine. So essentially the program is duplicating folders; it recreates the folder in the old spot with broken links even though everything still exists in the project. It says these things don't exist but they really do.

Ideas? I save after every single move and rename but this still happens. It's getting really frustrating. I have to restore the broken pages/folders and then delete them again to get the project functioning properly.

Thanks!

Erin

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Erin

Are you moving folders using Windows Explorer or using RoboHelp? If using Explorer, you have to use RoboHelp.

Where is the project? Is it on a network? If on a network, you need to move it to a local C drive.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7, 8 or 9 within the day!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rick!

I am using Robohelp, the Project Files pod, to be exact. I've been saving after every single thing I do and it hasn't crashed on me for about an hour... hooray! But still...

It is local, so no network.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 21, 2012 Aug 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Do you get broken links in tpic hyperlinks or do you get missing topic references in the project POD?

Greet,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there!

I get the missing topic references in the project pod... they also appear in the Broken Links folder in the Project Manager pod.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Back up your project and then delete the CPD. Still broken on reopening?

Are the paths from the root of you C drive to the lowest project folder level very long? Is the project in My RoboHelp Projects or directly off the root of your C drive?

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 22, 2012 Aug 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this hasn't been happening too much lately.. I save after every move and rename, which has cut down significantly on this happening. It seems that now the issue is that if I *don't* save after every change, the program times out and then ultimately crashes. When I restart, it tells me that the topics/folders are missing because I couldn't save before the crash.

I guess now the question is... why the crash?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

The simple and snarky sounding answer here is another question.

Why do thunderstorms or hurricanes or tornadoes occur?

And I'm very serious with asking that question. I'm not being flippant. The answer, of course, is that a specific set of conditions exists that leads up to the manifestation of the event.

A crash may occur on any system for any number of reasons. Just as a thunderstorm may occur in pretty much any area of the world. Now we just happen to notice that certain areas are more prone to them, because these specific areas have some factors that lend themselves to making a thunderstorm easy to manifest. Likewise, with your computer, there could be factors that come into play. For example, maybe you have a specific set of drivers that load in a specific order that factors into things. Or perhaps you have a specific spot in your RAM that becomes unreliable. And maybe RoboHelp just happens to always use that specific memory space.

About all you can do is to report the issue to Adobe as a bug and hopefully something might happen there. Or troubleshoot your own system. Remove certain things from the picture and test. See if things stabilize.

Unfortunately, you have to don your Sherlock Holmes hat!

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7, 8 or 9 within the day!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

After moving stuff I would instinctively save before renaming. I'm thinking RoboHelp is trying to rename stuff when its database has not been updated re the new location and is just getting its knickers in a twist. Move > Save > Rename.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp