28 Replies Latest reply: Aug 19, 2012 6:16 PM by able123 RSS

green frog, documentary, snow

Community Member

I'm new to this town and am thinking of doing a documentary about it.

Pulling the ideas together in my head...and talking to historians etc...and also the tech aspects ( cameras available, editing suites, end product ( broadcast etc )...is fun to deal with.

Meantime, in order to keep in shape ( or more precisely " get " in shape ) I am becoming a golfer.

I find that walking up and down the hills and listening to the early bird chirping over his worm gives me good exercise mentally and physically.

As far as the actual skill of golf goes, I am still very much bothered by my visits to the green frog.

frog.jpg

This is a diagram of the amazingly smart slice I must make to get to the frog...

the green frog slice.jpg

If I could do that on purpose I would be happy.

But since I am aiming for the green, and end up in another county behind the frog, I have become the laughing stock of the golf course. Kids gather around me as if I was the " village idiot".

Anyway, I am thinking about a documentary about this cool town and slightly anxious about the cold winters and all the snow that comes with that season.

So, of course, these " elements" of storytelling come into play... like, what can I do during the snowy winter to keep working on this documentary ? What will the green frog look like covered with snow ? How can I keep in practice regarding my golf prowess when I can't see the ground due to all the snow ??

Any suggestions welcome !

• 1. Re: green frog, documentary, snow
          the_wine_snob Community Member

Now, if you can get that slice attenuated a bit, it will be a good shot to take to a Jack Nicklus designed course. Nearly all of his holes are some form of dog-leg right, as that was his shot - a power-fade. I can only recall a few Jack Nicklus holes, that were dog-leg left, for a draw, though I have certainly not played all of his courses.

Are there any indoor driving ranges near you? Seems that in MN, there are indoor everything, including whole shopping centers that are sealed from the outside, and buildings, that connect via heated pedestrian tubes.

Just shoot for about 3 Seasons, and then edit in the Winter. Throw a 12-pack of Coors Lite into a snow drift (don't let 'em stay too long), and make sure that you have wood for the fire, where you can get to it. That was kind of how we did it in Colorado, though our "cold spells" usually only lasted a few days, where in MN, they last all Winter.

Also, and I am sure that you remember this from NYC and CO, but do NOT eat yellow snow!

Hunt

• 2. Re: green frog, documentary, snow
            JSS1138 Community Member

in order to keep in shape ( or more precisely " get " in shape ) I am becoming a golfer.

That's funny.  When was the last time you saw a golfer with ripped abs or tree trunks for arms?

• 3. Re: green frog, documentary, snow
              Community Member

I think I just saw one on tv...by name of john daly  ???  plus rainbow colored pants !

You cant see the abs due to the beer consumption

• 4. Re: green frog, documentary, snow
                JSS1138 Community Member

And lack of exercise.

• 5. Re: green frog, documentary, snow
                  Community Member

speaking of lack of exercise... it occurred to me that having help holding up a heavy camera might be nice.. .so I ordered some surgical tubing from a place in nyc ( dive shop if you can believe it .. as the movie vendors only sell full rolls ( 500 ft etc ).. so I got the little length for way less money, but way more per foot... which worked out OK...got 30 feet....

I had to check it out when UPS delivered it and it snapped into this snakey shape right out of the bag...and started to move around on the floor all by itself... as if it was some sort of demon possessed snake thing.... YIKES !

snakey surgical tubing1.jpg

• 6. Re: green frog, documentary, snow
                    Chuck A. McIntyre Community Member

Keep us updated on the documentary progress.

My wife put me in charge of entertainment. I shop the bargain bins at Walmart and Cherokee Coin (pawn shop) here locally for DVDs and Blu-rays.  The other night we watched Extreme Habitats.  The video footage was great.  The dialog not so great and the actual Blu-Ray programming layout was poor.  For instance the host would announce something like; next we travel to Tahiti.  You get your hopes up for Tahiti and they take you to Mongolia or Lapland.  That was strange and disappointing. Could be what brought the price down to $5 in the Walmart bin.

It seems every nature documentary builds in a mini lecture on how man is destroying the planet and global warming is killing the polar bears and shrinking the ice caps.  Do foundations offer documentary producers funding if they mention  global warming and melting ice caps?  We have another documentary called Under the Sea.  It's an IMAX 3d Blu-ray narrated by Jim Carey.  Carey gives a similar spiel as the host did in "Extreme Habitats".  Carey goes on about how global warming is killing fish.

I have a friend whose last name is Carey.  Bet he's glad his mom and dad didn't name him Harry.

BTW, let us know if you get approached by a foundation and offered funding for reminding viewers of your documentary that man is ruining the golf courses of Minnesota.  (Didn't mean to imply that you are personally.)  The frog in the picture still has an eye at least on the one side.

• 7. Re: green frog, documentary, snow
                      Community Member

Chuck,

I think people making the documentaries are genuinely concerned about keeping environments healthy etc.. but that "tree hugger" vs " horrible mankind " has been going on for ages...

Someone in Wyoming having his calfs on ranch attacked by coyotes can't shoot the things cause he'll get fine ...so the ranch guys ( cattlemen's association etc ) get all crazed about those type laws for endangered species made by people in the city..and it goes back and forth all the time.

The global warming thing doesn't pit people against people quite a much as some other issues ( whale hunting etc ) but gives almost everyone something to worry about.  Unless you're trying to build 16 new Nuke plants or Oil refineries and coal burning elect generators, or making cars, I guess most everyone worries about melting ice caps etc...

Beats me... but I'd rather focus on something a bit more positive and upbeat...

Although the zebra mussel thing here in lake area is now a big deal and the next " big worry " ....I hope to avoid that sort of thing where you try to get people's attention by alarming them and inflaming issues.

As for detroying the golf course...and the green frog's anatomical well being....I am now required to

a) sound air horn when I drive

b) give everyone a chance to scurry for cover

c) donate $ 100 per week directly to the golf course for " repair of natural surroundings and course "

d) put money in cup near frog to repair damages ( at this point is honor system...if I knock out an eye, I pay $20 for a new eye to be installed ).

• 8. Re: green frog, documentary, snow

Rod wrote:
                        "I think people making the documentaries are genuinely concerned about keeping environments healthy etc."

I hope so.  Some claim to have seen plies of garbage the size of cities floating by while on ships out in the ocean.  IMO, this should be of greater concern than Global Warming.  Carbon taxes are a money maker and Global Warming stories provide the excuse for a new tax  How about tax breaks for homeowners planting trees and oxygen producing plants on their property?  I believe it's about money and new ways to tax the masses as opposed to tax breaks.  Iceland jailed the bankers, refusing their austerity solutions and bailed out the victims of banker fraud.  Their economy is now doing well.  In America we bailed out the banks and failing corporations while the little guy who paid for 20 years on a 30 year mortgage only to lose his home to foreclosure got nothing.  Our economy is not doing so well.

• 9. Re: green frog, documentary, snow

Although the zebra mussel thing here in lake area is now a big deal and the next " big worry " ....I hope to avoid that sort of thing where you try to get people's attention by alarming them and inflaming issues.

See, you need to import a bunch of Cajuns, tell them that zebra-mussels are good to eat, and out of season. The problem will be gone instantly.

As for the indigenous species vs native species, there have been some interesting developments over the years. Going back some years, there was a big, vocal and active movement in Colorado to eliminate ALL non-native species (they actually wanted that to go all the way up the food-chain to man). They did PSA's, and newspaper ads, plus picketed the Game and Fish, and the Capitol. Of course they had chosen "ugly" critters to mark for total elimination. Then someone pointed out that the Mountain Goat was NOT a native species in Colorado, and would have to be hunted down. Whoa pardner! Those Mountain Goats were cute as heck, and everyone loved them, including the activists. Suddenly, the "cute factor" won out, and much of that campaign came to a screeching halt.

In West Texas and New Mexico, there is a big push to "save" a lizard, that no one has ever seen in those areas, but speculated to live near the oil/gas exploration areas by a Berkeley biologist, who theorizes that they might just live in such areas, though no one has ever seen one. The thrust is just to stop all oil/gas exploration, in the name of an invisible lizard. While some "save the ____ " campaigns start out with noble intentions, one needs to look beyond the posters to the real thrust of the program. I am surprised that Disney/Pixar has not done a film about those invisible lizards, and how evil energy exploration has caused them great harm. Maybe next Summer's animated blockbuster?

Hunt

• 10. Re: green frog, documentary, snow

Bill:
                            When I lived in California someone I knew in the 80's had plans to build an RV park.  The environmental experts came out and determined that there was a Kangaroo Rat on the property.  The cost of capturing and relocating the rat came to around $20,000.

• 11. Re: green frog, documentary, snow

You know Charles, I just cannot imagine a poor Kangaroo Rat having to grow up in a "trailer park." Think of the implications!

Now, I think that for $20k, one could have bought the rat a cute little rat-bungalow somewhere, but what do I know? Heck, I saw "tarpaper shacks" in Sherman Oaks going for $ 1.8M.

I could be wrong on this, but I imagine some folk just go around with a bag of Kangaroo Rats and a bag of Spotted Owls, and maybe one with invisible lizards, and just drop one out, where they want to stop development, sort of Johnny Appleseed style.

Now, if someone wanted to develop several thousand acres for a pot farm, I would think that the protesters would move on, regardless of what lived on that acreage - then development would be quickly OK'ed. However, maybe not?

Hunt

• 12. Re: green frog, documentary, snow
                                Community Member

==========

Now, if someone wanted to develop several thousand acres for a pot farm, I would think that the protesters would move on, regardless of what lived on that acreage

==========

I imagine anyone walking and protesting near that would end up looking for ' a horse with no name, where the desert dont give you no pain, and you cant remember your name ' and they would simply get the munchies and eat a dozen hot dogs ( feeding the kangeroo rat hot dog leftovers to make friends with it )

Then the kangeroo rat dot org people would say, " Hey, hot dogs are NOT good food for them so STOP THAT ! " ...

And then ( still being in the thousand acre pot plantation ) eventually everyone would start singing, ' I got a peaceful easy feeling...with the stars all around '....and the protesters would end up getting married to each other in Vegas...

• 13. Re: green frog, documentary, snow

and the protesters would end up getting married to each other in Vegas...

In that little pink chapel, by an Elvis impersonator preacher...

I think that you have a screenplay on your hands there. It would also provide a lot of work for some burned out hippie actors, who do not get much work these days. Not sure if Nevada has tax incentives to film there, but might be worth a look.

You also already have the makings of a soundtrack too.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 14. Re: green frog, documentary, snow
                                    Community Member

===========

You also already have the makings of a soundtrack too

==============

jailhouse rock....when the newly wedded couple in vegas get busted for the roaches in their car ashtray ??

• 15. Re: green frog, documentary, snow
                                      Community Member

As I go out to the short course and start shaking from fear of meeting the green frog again.... I can't help but imagine the frost in the morning of this northern climate...the snow on patches of the fairway...and my wool sweater that gives me enough room to " swing" without being hampered by inferior material ...

And I begin to sing, " mares eat oats and does eat oats, and little lambs eat ivy, a kid will eat ivy too, wouldn't you ? "

and I realize I've had enough coors lite for the moment...

• 16. Re: green frog, documentary, snow

the roaches in their car ashtray

"Better get Orkin!"

Hunt

• 17. Re: green frog, documentary, snow
                                          Community Member

Orkin probably is a good idea to contact for my documentary about Mound. They know about insect life in the area, and these insects have been around for thousands of years. Some of them are embedded in shale whatdoyacallits...you know, artifacts from a zillion years ago...where you find dinosaur bones and stuff like that...

Sooo, insect warriors are probably very knowledgable about the geological and biology and animal kingdom etc... like Bill Murray said in " Caddyshack" to " kill a Gopher, you have to THINK like a Gopher" or something like that.

Unfortunately for the retarded character of Bill Murray, the Gopher was smarter and liked to dance...

• 18. Re: green frog, documentary, snow

"They know about insect life in the area".

Just snapped this large dragonfly in our front yard.  Wish I had a better camera.  Georgia has to be one of the bug capitols of the world.

dragonfly.jpg

• 19. Re: green frog, documentary, snow
                                              Community Member

thank gawd those things aren't 20 feet in length....or I would have to carry a 10 gauge shotgun with me all the time !

• 20. Re: green frog, documentary, snow

Rod:

Talk about a bug...  Our friend let us use his cabin in Helen Georgia.  We drove from the cabin to the German-style town of Helen for some river rafting.  My friend who drove our two families up in his van, lost his car keys in the river.  While we were looking under his car for a spare key, we found the following strange bug.  I didn't know what it was so I later Googled large insects of the South East.  This thing is called a Dobsonfly.  The female's are known for their painful bite:

dobsonfly_handful.jpg

• 21. Re: green frog, documentary, snow
                                                  Community Member

yikes...

Years ago I met a girl on the lower east side of nyc who was known for her very painful bite...and my exclamation that she was " cute as a bug " does your creature credit !

• 22. Re: green frog, documentary, snow
                                                    Steven L. Gotz Community Member

able123 wrote:

And I begin to sing, " mares eat oats and does eat oats, and little lambs eat ivy, a kid will eat ivy too, wouldn't you ? "

I have had that song stuck in my head, on an off, for over 50 years.

Apparently my Mother would sing it while she was pregnant with me. She said it got stuck in her head while my father was overseas during World War II.

"If the words sound queer and funny to your ear, a little bit jumbled and jivey,"

• 23. Re: green frog, documentary, snow

I vaguely remember that song. I think my mom sang it a couple of times when I was a kid. I totally got the lyrics wrong.  It's one of those kind of tunes that sticks in your head.  Thanks for posting the REAL lyrics Rod.  Did you always know the real lyrics or did you recently look them up on the Internet?

Here we go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3oSyr8mHY4

• 24. Re: green frog, documentary, snow
                                                        Steven L. Gotz Community Member

My memories of the refrain go back to the mid to late 1950's.

I had to look up the bridge about 20 years ago.

Isn't it interesting that the meaning of the word "queer" has changed so much that the recording you linked to from 2009 changed it to "weird"? But weird doesn't rhyme with ear. So it kind of throws it off a bit.

• 25. Re: green frog, documentary, snow
                                                          Community Member

I think the reason the silly tune " lambs eat oats..etc " got into my head was cause as a kid it was a rhyme easy to remember, was nonsense which appealed to my sense of childish anarchy ( kids breaking away from 'authority' ), and adults liked it too ( could laugh like an idiot with them while singing it ).

It was a lot easier to sing that song than to say, " sixty six pairs of sharp scissors " when I had a childish lisp.

Plus, who doesn't like sheep which are nice fluffy animals who eat grass ?  I mean, isn't that why everyone wants one of those mattress company stuffed animals for their bedroom ?  Going to sleep and counting sheep goes a long way to making ME feel safe at any rate.

So when I am about to maybe see the scary green frog golf course 'obstacle' and add 10 strokes to a par 3 hole...my brain goes into this self preservation mode, and I sing out, " mares eat oats and does eat oats... " etc.

Like you, it is probably some prenatal comfort mom instilled in me... along with rocking gently...and craving pickels without reason.

As for the meaning of queer and gay ...the english language just hasn't figured out how to deal with 'strange' and ' happy' ....and apply that to anything slang that implies less than complimentary attitudes... so if I play golf and have a gay time, and then find myself behind the frog and get a queer feeling... I am doomed.

At least I don't have one of those prehistoric ugly bugs in my hand ....which I wouldn't touch for a zillion dollars !

• 26. Re: green frog, documentary, snow

"Which i wouldn't touch for a zillion dollars."

If I can get the embed code to work, you will see a snake we found in our backyard.  I tried and it didn't work Apparently the forum doesn't support urls from facebook uploads. Holding snakes are possibly worse to some than holding a tarantula.

• 27. Re: green frog, documentary, snow
                                                              Community Member

My personal opinion, and you have to know that I had 2 pet snakes as a kid on long island, who I liked a lot, even though one of them thought my finger was a frog one day and bit me ( basically tried to eat me ... she was confused at the moment is my best guess ) is that pets are very cool to have and take care of cause they teach kids how to respect natural stuff ( animals and plants or whatever ) and form a sort of " bond" with those things.  If I never had a vegetable garden in Queens NY I would never have had the appreciation I now have for farmers and agriculture businesses etc...what they are dealing with in terms of work, weather, cost, time waiting, and our beautiful country with good soil etc...

For example, if I lived in the south sudan I wouldn't try to grow a tomato in my back yard....cause of the desert there and so on.

But I do know about some things that I've tried to do on my own, and what that takes to do in a hobby atmosphere, to at least get some clue what it might mean to do those things as a business.

Growing " snakes" hasn't been a big hit in the agribusiness industry yet....( some taste just like 'chicken' ) ....but my pet snakes would never have become food for me even though one of them accidentally bit me.

I guess dogs in vietnam were similar in my experience...some people eat things and make my sneakers and jeans today , who frankly I don't understand when it comes to hunger and diet.... but if you get really hungry , even snakes probably taste good ??  I just hope Target doesn't outsource all our jobs in the U.S. so we end up eating our pet dogs someday.

• 28. Re: green frog, documentary, snow
                                                                Community Member

Soooo... as I continue to read the history of Mound, Mn.... I find that there have been some spooky incidences over the years.  I won't be tempted to focus on the spooky stuff ( I dont think so .... ) even though vampires and zombies and ghosts etc are very popular now in the movie biz etc.

But basically.. this is perfect for spooky stuff... when I think about it.

For example, " Mound" is the name of the city because it was built on prehistoric burial grounds !  The Dakota indians considered the place " sacred" for that reason...

White people were clueless about that aspect of the place and when they DID find out about the burial mounds....they actually advertised to tourists to come and dig stuff up to find trinkets and stuff...which was great fun for the tourists.

They would come to visit the hotels and go on the lake and in their spare time could mosey over to the nearest " mound" and start digging for stuff.  Toss a bone over your shoulder and keep digging and hope you find a cool arrowhead ??

Soooo, needless to say, on some dark nights in the foggy areas of the marshes, it is no surprise maybe that some weird things have happened to adventurous children and young adults out for a night of romantic " fun " ....

Then there's the unexplained bounty of missing pets, missing hitchhikers, screams and screaches over the dark waters....when the clouds skud across the full moon at midnight...