27 Replies Latest reply: Aug 16, 2012 6:21 PM by Ryadia™ RSS

Win 7 refuses to open jpg in Photoshop using explorer

Ryadia™ Community Member

Recently I installed an update to Corel X6 after I had updated CS6 of Photoshop. Now despite choosing Photoshop as the default application, jpgs open in Acrobat.

Just choosing Photoshop as the default application doesn't change anything. They still open in Acrobat unless I first start Photoshop and open the file I want. Can anyone tell me the registry key to fix this please?

R.

• 1. Re: Win 7 refuses to open jpg in Photoshop using explorer
          Noel Carboni Community Member

Try going into Adobe Bridge CS6, choosing Edit - Preferences - File Type Associations and either setting the specific type association you want or using the big [ Reset to Default Associations ] button.

-Noel

• 2. Re: Win 7 refuses to open jpg in Photoshop using explorer
            Ryadia™ Community Member

Thanks for the suggestion Noel but that's not the answer. I've already done that in all 4 versions of Bridge. I don't have an issue using bridge for finding and opening files except for the bulk of the program. I'm not a big fan of bridge.

I've got four (4) versions of Bridge running on my PC. CS5 and CS6 in 64 bit and 32 bit and four versions of Photoshop (CS5, CS6 and 32 plus 64 bit. I think with the advances made in drivers and 64 bit computing with Windows 7, it's time to decide on cleaning up the mess and getting rid of the 32 bit stuff altogether - which I never use anyway. I remember one of Microsoft's evangalists telling me years ago that backwards compatibility is holding back real advances in computers. He could be right.

But the problem with Acrobat opening JPG files as their default is a real problem I can't figure out. Somehow Acrobat is locked into doing this. When I use Windows to associate file extensions with specific programs, I can't change the jpg default.

When I upgraded Corel (unknown to me) the upgrade set all the file opening defaults to Corel software but I haven't got a clue about how Acrobat (version 9 pro) got to be the default for opening a jpg. It converts it to a PDF to open it. I've only recently (2 months ago) installed a new drive and fresh installation of everything only to find I needed to upgrade programs that had no upgrade when I did fresh installs.

I don't even have Photoshop as an option when in explorer and using right click to choose the program to open them with. I'm thinking this is more of a Microsoft problem than an Adobe one but still... If it is happening to me, it must be happening to others or so my reasoning says. Any other ideas Noel?

Ryadia

• 3. Re: Win 7 refuses to open jpg in Photoshop using explorer
              stormy.boy Community Member

Are you going to Control Panel > Programs >Default Programs > Set Associations

or either get there by typing "file association" in the search box?

When you highlight the .jpg (.jp2, .jpe, .jpeg, .jpg) and press "Change program,"  nothing happens?  Are you logged in as administrator?  If none of these work, I'd reboot into Safe Mode and try to change it before other programs get their "hooks" into play.

Tom

• 4. Re: Win 7 refuses to open jpg in Photoshop using explorer
                acresofgreen Community Member

Follow the instructions described in this thread http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-files/file-association-fix-for- windows-7/2120d7eb-3f9d-464b-bff9-8b5132e72b3a

If Photoshop is not in the list of programs you see you can opt to browse your hard disk for the program you want.

• 5. Re: Win 7 refuses to open jpg in Photoshop using explorer
                  Ryadia™ Community Member

Thanks Storm Boy...

I can't change anything to do with any Adobe product using 'default programs'. No Adobe program (including Acrobat) is listed and I cant find any way to include Photoshop in the list of programs. If I use explorer to browse to a folder with a jpg file in it, I should be right clicking the file be able to select one of all the programs that can open it. Photoshop is not listed.

If I then browse to ..\program files\adobe\adobe photoshop CS6 (64bit) and choose to make this thedefault for opening a jpg, the file opens in acrobat 9 Pro as a PDF.  Somehow or another my whole installation which ran cleanly using the Beta of CS6, now refuses to open anything except a camera raw file in Photoshop.

• 6. Re: Win 7 refuses to open jpg in Photoshop using explorer
                    Ryadia™ Community Member

Hi Acresofgreen.

Basically your suggestion is the same as Noel's and it doesn't work. Lets see if I can be absolute about this. The file association of a jpg is set to acrobat and none of the gui solutions will change that. What I need is information on which hive of the registry I need to edit to allow changes. I don't know which program caused my PC to not present any Adobe program in the file associations. With XP it was relative easy to hack the registry but 64 bit Win7 has got me beat.

If I don;t get an answer soon, I'll have no choice but to take the drastic measure of formatting the drive (again) and re-installing my software. A 14 hour marathon I shouldn't have to do. It's quite unfair of Microsoft to want my credit card before telling me how to fix it or allowing their technician to remotely access my PC.

Surely this problem can't be mine alone.

• 7. Re: Win 7 refuses to open jpg in Photoshop using explorer

I should ask:  Did you log off Windows and back on again after making the change?

-Noel

• 8. Re: Win 7 refuses to open jpg in Photoshop using explorer

Ryadia,

It's still not clear to me that you are following my or acresofgreen's suggestions.  This change should be effected within the "Set Associations" window.  If no Adobe program is listed, then you press the "Change program" button.  Here you don't right click anything then in explorer!  You navagate to the actual photoshop.exe file on your hard drive and choose it. 

• 9. Re: Win 7 refuses to open jpg in Photoshop using explorer
                          Ryadia™ Community Member

Well Noel ... That's a new one on me. I wasn't aware when changing a program's default file types you had to log off and on. I tried doing that but although I'm administrator on both logins, I can "choose" photoshop right enough but Acrobat remains the default program for jpgs. I have never set this. It should just allow me to record Photoshop as the default program, it does not.

Stormboy... Let me assure you I followed your instructions and they did not work. Even when my gut tells me advise is wrong, I'll still try it. Your advise didn't work.

The process of changing the default program to open a jpg file to be Photoshop by using the GUI is where the problem lies. Sure,  I can navagate to the Adobe folder and select Photoshop to become the default but it has no effect. The file will still be opened by acrobat and converted to a PDF. Since posting this issue, I found plenty on the subject in the Microsoft Tech site.

Even to the point of a helpful guy providing me with what I asked for at the beginning of this thread... The name of the registry hive I need to edit to fix the issue. All too often we get so used to working with a GUI that we forget Windows is ultimately controlled by command line instructions.

Armed with information from Microsoft knowledge base, I reset the default for JPG files to Photo Viewer. In doing that I also killed the registry instruction that was preventing me from changing the default. From there I added Photoshop to the list of programs that could open a JPG file.

Now when I use explorer to locate a file, right clicking it will give me the option to "open with" and amongst the programs that can open a JPG, Photoshop is top of the list. It was a Windows 7 problem, not an Adobe issue. I suspect it was caused by using a registry cleaner to defrag the registry but I guess I'll never really know for sure.

Thanks for your help gents,

R

• 10. Re: Win 7 refuses to open jpg in Photoshop using explorer
                            the_wine_snob CommunityMVP

I suspect it was caused by using a registry cleaner to defrag the registry but I guess I'll never really know for sure.

Not that long ago, I downloaded and used a very highly-recommended cleanup utility, rather than my "go-to" one. I let it do its thing, and then had to do Repair Installs for most of my Adobe Production Studio! Teach me to deviate. My regular cleanup utility always wants to do a full Registry backup, and I let it. To date, it has never messed up. I once had similar issues with another utility, that just flat did not like things about Adobe products. It went into the trash pretty quickly. Yes, stuff CAN happen.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 11. Re: Win 7 refuses to open jpg in Photoshop using explorer

>Well Noel ... That's a new one on me. I wasn't aware when changing

>a program's default file types you had to log off and on.

You normally don't have to but I have run across systems where Explorer fails to accept changes until restarted.  I've always suspected I'll-behaved Shell Extensions in that problem.

-Noel

• 12. Re: Win 7 refuses to open jpg in Photoshop using explorer
                                Ryadia™ Community Member

Speaking of Shell Extensions... Corel Draw x6 which I installed after upgrading Photoshop has a shell extension that is said to be "essencial" for use of Postscript, level 3 printer drivers. My press and digital lasers all use Photoshop. 90% of my publishing work ends up as a postscript file that gets distilled down into a PDF.

I'll pay careful attention to what transpires from here. Thanks for that kernel of knowledge Noel... The more useful our software gets, the more complex any flaws become.

Cheers,

R

• 13. Re: Win 7 refuses to open jpg in Photoshop using explorer

I'm glad you were able to fix things!  You might post the registry entry for other people who stumble across this thread.

• 14. Re: Win 7 refuses to open jpg in Photoshop using explorer
                                    rudytheelder Community Member

Fine, but, as stormy boy says, why haven't you posted the registry entry to help the rest of us?

• 15. Re: Win 7 refuses to open jpg in Photoshop using explorer
                                      gener7 CommunityMVP

Bill Hunt wrote:

Not that long ago, I downloaded and used a very highly-recommended cleanup utility, rather than my "go-to" one. I let it

Good luck,

Hunt

Bill,what is your "go to" clean up utility? While I am leary about registry cleaners,I understand there are reliable ones. I like CCleaner by Piriform,but I'm open to suggestions.

Gene

• 16. Re: Win 7 refuses to open jpg in Photoshop using explorer

Gene, what problem do you feel you need to solve with a "registy cleaner"?  Just curious.

On my main workstation I'm running a Windows 7 system that was installed in 2009, and I use hell out of it every day.  It's still as fast and reliable as when it was new (more so actually for several reasons) and I've never needed nor used a registry cleaner. 

The Windows registry is not something that needs "cleaning".  It's a made up market.

That's not to say Windows doesn't need some maintenance to be kept at its best, but this is mostly already handled (it regularly defrags its disks all on its own, for example), and what's left is limited to clearing out TEMP area files and managing what application software is slated to run when you log in.  The former is simple Explorer work, and the latter is best handled with a free tool called AutoRuns, which lets you review everything that's set to start, and disable items you don't need.  That's necessarily an interactive task, since a registry cleaner application can't know what you want running and what you can do without.

-Noel

• 17. Re: Win 7 refuses to open jpg in Photoshop using explorer
                                          gener7 CommunityMVP

Thanks for the response,Noel. I guess I had thought cleaning the registry was a maintenance since some uninstallers leave keys or file associations around.  At least that what I thought the point of running one is.  But to be honest,while I was told it was a good idea I never came across anything definite on whether doing so made a second of performance difference. I'm also aware reg cleaners can make bad judgement calls just like virus checkers,although I'm not sure that's happened to me.

What TEMP directories should I be cleaning out and which are best left alone? I simply use the Windows Disk Cleanup Utility.

• 18. Re: Win 7 refuses to open jpg in Photoshop using explorer

The Disk Cleanup Utility is all you need, really.

Look for the environment variable named TEMP on your system to see where your main TEMP folder is.

I suggest looking into virtualization (i.e., the creation of virtual Windows machines) to support your needs for installing and testing things, vs. installing and uninstalling a lot of stuff on your main system.  VMware makes some good products (I use VMware workstation).

-Noel

• 19. Re: Win 7 refuses to open jpg in Photoshop using explorer
                                              gener7 CommunityMVP

I found the Temp file and cleared over 700MB of filles out of that.  Strange,I would have thought Disk Cleanup would take care of that.

Anyway I upgraded to a Dell 15R/5520 i5-3210M. I've been waiting for this new generation Intel CPU for the USB 3 ports and the HD4000 integrated graphics.

In any case all the installs,upgrades and backups are all done so I want to use this laptop and not do more than necessary.  That's the old "if ain't broke,don't fix it" wisdom.

Anyhow,thanks for your advice.

• 20. Re: Win 7 refuses to open jpg in Photoshop using explorer
                                                Ryadia™ Community Member

One of the most significant services on the registry you need to perform at least every few months  is to defragment it. The notion of "cleaning" the registry is only needed perhaps yearly at the most and only if you have a habit of installing trial software you later remove with Windows itself.

I prefer to use a commercial software removal program that scans the registry and drive for left over entries and files after the uninstaller has removed the program itself. Adobe is one of the software vendors that leaves a lot of numbered but unidentifiable registry keys when one of its applications is removed.

I recall Microsoft saying it was good practice to back up your main drive, reformat it and restore the content every two years. I've never done this because I often update my PC every few years and start with a fresh install of everything.

ANYWAY... In answering myself (who started this thread). If you remove JPG as Photoshop default from bridge, Bridge will also remove Photoshop as the native for JPGs. All I had to do was re-enter Photoshop as the JPG opener in Bridge and the registry was altered to make Windows 7 open JPGs with Photoshop. What I originally asked for was the registry key to alter so that Explorer would allow me to choose Photoshop from other (faster viewing) alternatives when I was comparing detail between near identical photos.

Photoshop (and bridge) are far too smart now. The registry key that would let me open JPGs with photo viewer by default but choose Photoshop when I wanted to is hidden by virtue of the number and not a description. I guess one day I might find the answer but for now, Bridge will not let you remove Photoshop as the JPG opener and still give you (or Explorer) the option to open with Photoshop or another program if you choose to.

• 21. Re: Win 7 refuses to open jpg in Photoshop using explorer

Ryadia™ wrote:

One of the most significant services on the registry you need to perform at least every few months  is to defragment it.

What makes you think so?  It's simply not necessary.

-Noel

• 22. Re: Win 7 refuses to open jpg in Photoshop using explorer
                                                    Ryadia™ Community Member

It's not just me Noel. A huge number (over 200,000) heavy users of PCs also believe as I do that significant recovery of processing speed can be had by defragmenting the registry of a Windows PC... Provided that PC has been heavily used. From where I sit, that is compelling evidence a product works. For Photographers who continually add and remove thousands of files from their PCs each week, it is an essencial part of maintaining a fast and reliable system.

It's no cheap matter to buy a dozen seats of commercial disk and registry de-fragmentation software. To upgrade that software whenever a new version arrives would be a waste of money if it did not do what was claimed of it. I spent the money buying it and will continue to upgrade the software as long it continues to work.

When you tell the readers of this forum the use of 3rd party tools to defragment the registery of a heavly used PC is "simply not necessary" it is an insult to the developers of such software. But then people who spend significant time on forums probably don't have enough time left to use a PC long enough and hard enough to benefit from such software. That is no reason to claim it's existance and use "is simply not necessary".

Ryadia

• 23. Re: Win 7 refuses to open jpg in Photoshop using explorer
                                                      gener7 CommunityMVP

What is the product you are talking about,Ryadia? It wouldn't hurt for me to do research and see whether or not I can use it.

Gene

• 24. Re: Win 7 refuses to open jpg in Photoshop using explorer

LOL, Ryadia, as a career computer/software engineer I'll wager I know more about Windows than most of the billion Windows users on the planet.  I also use my workstations harder than most.  Ever wonder how I can develop software, run a company, and still have time to be here?  It's because I'm not futzing around with my computers - they just work day in and day out, efficiently and without fault, doing any number of things I ask them to do.

And honestly I do hope I have gravely insulted the writers of snake oil products who mislead users!

I don't blame you for being duped into buying it - their marketing is very good - and I'm sorry if I've insulted you. 

It's just something you don't need, and I "tell the users on this forum" because I have the knowledge, intelligence, and experience going back to the days before Microsoft even existed to back up what I write.  I even know the internals of the VMS operating system Dave Cutler created before creating Windows NT in its image, so not only do I know how things work but in many cases why they work that way.  I even have some popular books published on the subject of configuring and running Windows to get real work done.

But hey, it's not my money you're wasting on registry and TEMP folder maintenance.  I truly hope the product does no harm for you and makes you feel better about using your computers.

-Noel

• 25. Re: Win 7 refuses to open jpg in Photoshop using explorer
                                                          Chris Cox Adobe Employee

The registry is a database - it doesn't really get "fragmented".

And most of the utilities that offer to "clean your registry" are just so much snake oil (though some are malware acting as a trojan download).

• 26. Re: Win 7 refuses to open jpg in Photoshop using explorer
                                                            station_two Community Member

Perhaps the OP would now want to unmark their own answer as correct. 

If not, perhaps Admin should. 

• 27. Re: Win 7 refuses to open jpg in Photoshop using explorer
                                                              Ryadia™ Community Member

Well I guess in every group there has to be one. Someone leading the duped to further duplicity. Where in anything I said did I say any application or program "cleaned a registry"?

I'll give you a tip I learnt in the Army Noel... Never pick a fight with a stranger. 

The next gem of knowledge I have to offer doesn't need a computer scientist to figure it out, plain common sense will be enough... Every database is made up of data. When it gets re-written, deleted and written again, as happens with the registry,  it will eventually become part of a fragmented group that will cause a drive to thrash its heads looking for those fragments in order to produce a complete file. Read that as waste time collecting the fragments so it can deliver whatever it is you wanted.  Your "database" description of the Registry is correct but trying to make out a database like Windows registry does not get fragmented is weird in the extreme, coming from someone claiming the knowledge you claim of yourself has me wondering where you learnt all this knowledge.

I'm so amazed at your claims of greatness that I wonder now ...with your self proclaimed knowledge of Windows in mind, why you couldn't tell me right from the start of this thread, the name of the registry hive containing "file extension to program associations". I guess the great one was too pre-occupied with all those tasks that made him so knowledgeable, he couldn't find spare the time to find the answer or (shock horror) didn't actually know it.

So here's tip #3 Noel. If you have to boast about your achievements to gain respect rather than be able to demonstrate them and get acknowledged by others for your ability, it might be time to read some books on how Microsoft Windows handles files and it's registry.

Good luck arguing with your screen Noel, LOL.