8 Replies Latest reply: Aug 15, 2012 4:23 PM by areohbee RSS

Displaying Metadata in Lightroom 4

1MickMick

I want to display the IPTC metadata in Lightroom 4 in the same way as in Bridge CS6 so that it only displays the fields I want to use - is this possible without having to install 3rd party software? I've tried the metadata pop-up menu selections but these either omit items I want to see or include many items which I don't use. I bought Lightroom because it was designed for photographers but I am discovering that there are a number of areas where it is not as flexible as Bridge.

• 1. Re: Displaying Metadata in Lightroom 4
          -Agfaclack- Community Member

yep the metadata menu should have user configurated presets.... but it does not have that yet.

• 2. Re: Displaying Metadata in Lightroom 4
            dj_paige Community Member

I bought Lightroom because it was designed for photographers but I am discovering that there are a number of areas where it is not as flexible as Bridge.

Lightroom was never designed to have all the features of Bridge. Lightroom was designed to be itself ... something different than most (all?) other photographic applications. While Lightroom WAS indeed designed for photographers, it does not have every feature you can imagine, and it certainly does not fit the needs of every photographer.

• 3. Re: Displaying Metadata in Lightroom 4
              1MickMick

Thanks for your thoughts fellas. Hmm - I'm beginning to suspect that Lightroom is going to fall somewhat short of expectations. Metadata and keywords are important to photographers so I was expecting that LR would at least match Bridge in these areas. I think that the speed of the LR catalogue is fantastic compared to Bridge so perhaps the developers will be able to spend some time overhauling metadata in time for LR 5??

• 4. Re: Displaying Metadata in Lightroom 4
                CR Henderson Community Member

You might try Jeffrey's Metadata-Viewer Preset Editor plug-in.  It is third party, but will do what I believe you want.

• 5. Re: Displaying Metadata in Lightroom 4
                  dj_paige Community Member

I think that the speed of the LR catalogue is fantastic compared to Bridge so perhaps the developers will be able to spend some time overhauling metadata in time for LR 5??

Near the top of the main forum page for Lightroom is a link for you to submit bugs and feature requests. If you choose to submit this feature request, please be specific about the metadata you would like to see. (In fact, for the benefit of those of us reading this thread, it would be a good idea to indicate what metadata you want to see in this thread as well)

• 6. Re: Displaying Metadata in Lightroom 4
                    1MickMick

Thanks CR - I previously saw a link to Jeffrey's Metadata on another thread but noticed that the plugin is only a beta release but may revisit it once the final version appears.

• 7. Re: Displaying Metadata in Lightroom 4
                      1MickMick

Thanks DJ I'll start the ball rolling and start to identify the metadata which I frequently use and post it here to see whether others share my selection before submitting it as a feature request

• 8. Re: Displaying Metadata in Lightroom 4
                        areohbee Community Member

1MickMick wrote:

the plugin is only a beta release but may revisit it once the final version appears.

I recommend trying while it's in beta. The only reason it's in beta is due to recent enhancements that concerned dynamic acquisition of other plugin's metadata. If you're not using that feature, it's beta-ism shouldn't affect you. This is otherwise a mature plugin - very low risk.

I "alpha" tested it, and only turned up one problem, which Jeffrey promptly fixed.

If you want to develop your own metadata viewer presets without resorting to a 3rd party plugin or add-in, you can develop your own:

Put in 'Metadata Field Lists' (you must create folder if not already existing) subfolder of "Lightroom Presets Folder" (see Preferences, Presets tab), a .lua file containing stuff like this:

return {

version   = 1, -- format this file is in (format version #1)

title     = "Rob's Minimal",

id        = "com.robcole.metadatafieldlist.minimal",

type      = "MetadataFieldList",

-- keep plugins alphabetical

items = {

--   A D O B E

{ "com.adobe.label", label = "File Info" },

'com.adobe.filename',

'com.adobe.folder',

'com.adobe.dateTimeOriginal',

'com.adobe.dateTimeDigitized.onlyIfUnique',

'com.adobe.imageCroppedDimensions',

'com.adobe.separator',

{ "com.adobe.label", label = "Title & Caption" },

'com.adobe.title',

{ 'com.adobe.caption', height_in_lines = 3 },

'com.adobe.separator',

{ "com.adobe.label", label = "Shooting Info" },

'com.adobe.exposureBiasValue',

'com.adobe.flash',

'com.adobe.software',

'com.adobe.separator',

{ "com.adobe.label", label = "Genre, Scene, & Location" },

'com.adobe.intellectualGenre',

'com.adobe.scene',

'com.adobe.location',

'com.adobe.city',

'com.adobe.state',

'com.adobe.country',

'com.adobe.isoCountryCode',

'com.robcole.lightroom.CustomMetadata.*',

'com.robcole.dev.ChangeManager.*',

'com.robcole.ChangeManager.*',

'com.robcole.lightroom.metadata.RC_CustomMetadata.*',

'com.robcole.lightroom.develop.DevAdjust.*',

'com.adobe.separator',

--   D E V   M E T A

{ "com.adobe.label", label = "RC Dev Meta" },

'com.adobe.separator',

'com.robcole.lightroom.metadata.DevMeta.lastUpdate',

'com.adobe.separator',

'com.robcole.lightroom.metadata.DevMeta.ProcessVersion',

'com.adobe.separator',

{ "com.adobe.label", label = "Camera Calibration" },

'com.robcole.lightroom.metadata.DevMeta.CameraProfile',

'com.robcole.lightroom.metadata.DevMeta.ShadowTint',

'com.robcole.lightroom.metadata.DevMeta.rgbColorMods',

'com.adobe.separator',

{ "com.adobe.label", label = "Basic" },

'com.robcole.lightroom.metadata.DevMeta.WhiteBalance',

'com.robcole.lightroom.metadata.DevMeta.Temperature',

'com.robcole.lightroom.metadata.DevMeta.Tint',

'com.robcole.lightroom.metadata.DevMeta.Exposure',

'com.robcole.lightroom.metadata.DevMeta.HighlightRecovery',

'com.robcole.lightroom.metadata.DevMeta.FillLight',

'com.robcole.lightroom.metadata.DevMeta.Shadows',

'com.robcole.lightroom.metadata.DevMeta.Brightness',

'com.robcole.lightroom.metadata.DevMeta.Contrast',

'com.robcole.lightroom.metadata.DevMeta.Clarity',

'com.robcole.lightroom.metadata.DevMeta.Vibrance',

'com.robcole.lightroom.metadata.DevMeta.Saturation',

'com.adobe.separator',

{ "com.adobe.label", label = "Tone Curve" },

'com.robcole.lightroom.metadata.DevMeta.ToneCurveName',

'com.robcole.lightroom.metadata.DevMeta.toneCurveParamMods',

'com.robcole.lightroom.metadata.DevMeta.toneCurvePointMods',

'com.adobe.separator',

{ "com.adobe.label", label = "HSL / Color / B & W" },

'com.robcole.lightroom.metadata.DevMeta.colorType',

'com.robcole.lightroom.metadata.DevMeta.colorMods',

'com.adobe.separator',

{ "com.adobe.label", label = "Split Toning" },

'com.robcole.lightroom.metadata.DevMeta.splitToning',

'com.adobe.separator',

{ "com.adobe.label", label = "Detail" },

'com.robcole.lightroom.metadata.DevMeta.Sharpness',

'com.robcole.lightroom.metadata.DevMeta.SharpenRadius',

'com.robcole.lightroom.metadata.DevMeta.SharpenDetail',

'com.robcole.lightroom.metadata.DevMeta.SharpenEdgeMasking',

'com.adobe.separator',

'com.robcole.lightroom.metadata.DevMeta.LuminanceSmoothing',

'com.robcole.lightroom.metadata.DevMeta.LuminanceNoiseReductionDetail',

'com.robcole.lightroom.metadata.DevMeta.LuminanceNoiseReductionContrast',

'com.adobe.separator',

'com.robcole.lightroom.metadata.DevMeta.ColorNoiseReduction',

'com.robcole.lightroom.metadata.DevMeta.ColorNoiseReductionDetail',

'com.adobe.separator',

{ "com.adobe.label", label = "Lens Corrections" },

'com.robcole.lightroom.metadata.DevMeta.lensDistortion',

'com.robcole.lightroom.metadata.DevMeta.lensVignetting',

'com.robcole.lightroom.metadata.DevMeta.lensCa',

'com.robcole.lightroom.metadata.DevMeta.perspective',

'com.adobe.separator',

{ "com.adobe.label", label = "Effects" },

'com.robcole.lightroom.metadata.DevMeta.postCropVignette',

'com.robcole.lightroom.metadata.DevMeta.grain',

'com.adobe.separator',

{ "com.adobe.label", label = "Crop, Locals, & Retouch" },

'com.robcole.lightroom.metadata.DevMeta.retouched',

'com.robcole.lightroom.metadata.DevMeta.redeye',

'com.robcole.lightroom.metadata.DevMeta.gradients',

'com.robcole.lightroom.metadata.DevMeta.brushes',

'com.adobe.separator',

{"com.adobe.label", label="RC Exif Meta" },

'com.robcole.develop.ExifMeta.lastUpdate',

'com.adobe.separator',

{ 'com.adobe.label', label = 'SubIFD1' },

'com.robcole.develop.ExifMeta.SubIFD1_BitsPerSample',

'com.adobe.separator',

{ formatter = 'com.robcole.develop.ExifMeta.bigBlock', topLabel=true },

--   N X   T O O

'com.adobe.separator',

-- { "com.adobe.label", label = "RC Nx Too" }, -- The label is automatic when * is used.

'com.robcole.lightroom.NxToo.*',

},

}

PS - Lemmeno if you want more details...

Rob