Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How To? Button Opens PPT Presentation

Community Beginner ,
Aug 09, 2012 Aug 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My version:  Captivate 5.0

What I wish to occur:  When a student clicks the 'Show Me' button, I want a PowerPoint to open in a NEW window in presentation mode.

My concerns/questions:  Is there an ability to add the PPT to the Captivate Module library I'm developing and direct the path/action to it?  I prefer not to store the PPT on a shared drive because I'm not sure it will work in many of the global locations we have if the students don't have access to that shared drive.

Hope that makes sense?

Thanks, in advance, for any help.

Chuck

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Chuck,

As per your question, you can define it as a relative path and copy this PPT in your Published folder. You don't need anyone to access the shared drive. Here the screenshot and let me know if you have any question.

Untitled.jpg

As I mentioned after publihing the project, make sure you check the pubished folder if file is there well and good however if not please copy and paste the PPT in the same folder. Also as you can see, select the new window which will open the PPT in New window and will not effect your presentation.

Hope this helps.

Thanks

Priyank

Thanks,
Priyank Shrivastava

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Priyank,

All of that is good, so far, except one thing.

I've tried saving the file as 'filename.pps' and 'filename.ppsx' and putting that in the URL properties.  Then, I add the PPS/PPSX file to the published folder.

However, when it runs/launches, it continues to open in the regular PPT/PPTX view and I want it to launch in slide show mode immediately.

Any thoughts?

Chuck

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 16, 2012 Aug 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Disregard.  Yet another one of these Captivate issues that remains 'open' and 'unresolved'...<sigh>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI Chuck

I'm not sure you can blame Captivate. Likely it's a browser thing. Captivate can send a command to open a file, but it's my own understanding that exactly how that file is attempted to be opened is largely dependent on the browser and the way it handles working with certain file types.

For example, IE often presents a dialog asking if you want to run or save a file. And if you choose to run it, the application used depends on the file type configured. Firefox never even presents the dialog allowing you to run. Instead, it prompts where you want to save the file. I'm unsure how Google Chrome behaves.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

Captivate Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Adobe Certified Captivate Training

SorcerStone Blog

Captivate eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Rick, thanks for the reply.  You're always very responsive and helpful and I appreciate that.

I've added instructions to the students that they'll have to launch the PPT as a slide show on their own. 

Now a second problem has cropped up with the LMS whereby the PPT won't even open.  I get the window prompt for either 'saving' or 'opening' but then the dreaded HTTP 404 error appears followed by 'navigation cancelled'.

Chuck

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Chuck,

I apogize for the delayed response, do you have the PPS file in your root folder which you uploaded to LMS?

Priyank

Thanks,
Priyank Shrivastava

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Priyank,

I've given up on the .pps and reverted back to just trying to open the file as .pptx

Check out this image.  My file name is android.pptx but I'm not 100% certain what a 'root folder' is when you look at the compressed files generated by publishing to Scorm 1.2

What I am doing is this:

1)  After publishing the Captivate file for Scorm 1.2, it puts a zipped folder on my desktop

2)  Then, I right click and select 'open with' and then 'compressed zip folders' which displays the image you see below.

3)  Then, I drag and drop the PPTX into the applicable folder.

Is that method correct?

lmsprob.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi,

Please check the screenshot.

PPTX.jpg

Thanks,
Priyank Shrivastava

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources