9 Replies Latest reply: Aug 17, 2012 1:43 PM by Peter Spier RSS

facing pages

r_tist Community Member

Hi

If I am going to layout a book, which I know needs to be set up in printer spreads...to accomplish this, I just select 'facing pages' when setting up in InDesign? Is that correct?

But when I lay it out, the pages really would come out as 'reader spreads' by way of threading, right? So, when exporting as press-ready what settings do I need to access in InDesign for the pages to automatically switch round properly for the printer?

Thanks for the refresher!

• 1. Re: facing pages
          Scott Falkner Community Member

r_tist wrote:

If I am going to layout a book, which I know needs to be set up in printer spreads...to accomplish this, I just select 'facing pages' when setting up in InDesign? Is that correct?

Yes.

But when I lay it out, the pages really would come out as 'reader spreads' by way of threading, right? So, when exporting as press-ready what settings do I need to access in InDesign for the pages to automatically switch round properly for the printer?

You don’t worry about this. Ask your printer what export preset to use, or they might provide one for you to use. Whichever you do, export with bleed and marks as required by the printer with spreads off. The printer will impose the pages into the proper signatures.

• 2. Re: facing pages
            Daniel Flavin Community Member

You design as Facing Pages.

You properly define bleeds if needed, and ask the technique here if you have an object spanning two pages.

The printer will impose your exported pdf document.

• 3. Re: facing pages
              r_tist Community Member

Thank you for the confirmation!! Good info.

• 4. Re: facing pages
                r_tist Community Member

For the cover, would it be recommended I keep as a separate file as one wide artboard with margins so the art can span from back cover - to spine - to front?

Is that advisable if the illustration is to cover all areas? If not, how would you recommend I handle?

Thank you!

• 5. Re: facing pages

If the cover is a different size  (like on a hardcover book) or includes a spine I would make the cover a separate file. The spine can be tricky because younger not initially know the width of the spine as it is a function of page count, paper used, and binding method.

S c o t t   F a l k n e r

• 6. Re: facing pages
                    Michael Gianino Community Member

Scott, your phone numbers are showing.

• 7. Re: facing pages
                      Peter Spier ACP/MVPs

Covers should also be a separate file if they will be printed separately (color cover on a B&W book, or on differnt stock, for example).

• 8. Re: facing pages

Michael Gianino wrote:

Scott, your phone numbers are showing.

Yeah. Replied by email because stupid forum won’t work on my phone. Forgot to delete sig. Thanks (guessing) Peter.

• 9. Re: facing pages
                          Peter Spier ACP/MVPs

You're welcome.