5 Replies Latest reply: Aug 17, 2012 10:36 AM by MurraySummers RSS

DW CS6 403 Forbidden

flashdan

I have just used DW6 for the first time to simply upload a new html file and found that when I go to view it in the browser I get a 403 Fobidden error:

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /roti.html on this server.

There is nothing odd about the file. I created another file which simply had the word "test" in it and uploaded it as test.html and got the same result. I checked the forum and found somehting about hidden access files but there aren't any.

• 1. Re: DW CS6 403 Forbidden
          osgood_ CommunityMVP

This usually happens when you don't have the correct permissions set on the file or the folder.

Do you know what permissions it has set?

I don't use DW for uploading but I believe it has a 'passive upload mode'. Do you have that check box selected?

• 2. Re: DW CS6 403 Forbidden
            flashdan Community Member

I checked the permissions on the folder and it is read, write, execute for owner and for all so I can't see that being the problem. The FTP settings for the site are not set to 'passive'.

• 3. Re: DW CS6 403 Forbidden
              flashdan Community Member

I have just managed to upload the file using the hosting service's own file manager (FTP) through the web browser and the file works fine so this is definitely something to do with the set up in Dreamweaver. Still can't figure out what though.

• 4. Re: DW CS6 403 Forbidden
                osgood_ CommunityMVP

flashdan wrote:

The FTP settings for the site are not set to 'passive'.

It should be set to passive. Although in my opinion youre much better off using a stand alone ftp client. I've never personally been a great fan of the inbuilt one but I believe it has been upgraded a few times since I used it about 8 years ago...so it may be better now.

• 5. Re: DW CS6 403 Forbidden
                  MurraySummers CommunityMVP

It should be set to passive.

That's not necessarily a good general recommendation. If you are having Firewall problems, then passive FTP is surely the way to go.

And by the way, the DW FTP is all I have ever used....

Notwithstanding those comments, I'm not at all convinced that this has anything to do with user-adjustable FTP parameters.  The fact that uploading the file with a 3rd party FTP application suggests that it's definitely something to do with DW, however.  If I had this experience, I'd just use the 3rd party FTP application.