Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Apply Redactions

Community Beginner ,
Aug 15, 2012 Aug 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone,

I need help with applying redactions. Even though I have redacted in many pdf documents, I have a specific document in which I can "Mark for Redaction" but I am unable to click "Apply Redactions". The button does not seem to be active.

Does anyone have an idear what the problem could be and provide a solution?

Thanks in advance.

TOPICS
Security digital signatures and esignatures

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Sep 13, 2012 Sep 13, 2012

It is indeed an XFA form that was created in LiveCycle Designer, and is also Reader-enabled. Even when you perform a "File > Save a Copy" to remove the usage rights, it remains an XFA form and Acrobat has very limited ability to modify XFA PDFs (apart from form filling). One thing you can do is print to PDF in Acrobat, which will generate a standard PDF. This new PDF will be editable in Acrobat, but the interactive form fields won't remain. However, this may be suitable for your needs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you follow all these steps for applying redaction on PDF file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, of course I did. I just cannot do step 8 (Select Apply Redactions from the Redaction Toolbar) because the button is not 'clickable'

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 16, 2012 Aug 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What type of file is this? Scan? Perhaps you need to run Text Recognition first.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 17, 2012 Aug 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The file is not a scan, it is a regular pdf file. However, it is a form in which information has to be entered as text.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 17, 2012 Aug 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it's a form, perhaps it has been reader-extended. If you open the File > Properties > Security tab, what does it say about the file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 20, 2012 Aug 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Security Method: No Security (However, I have also tried to protect the file with Security Method: Password Security and it also didn' work)

Can be Opened by: All versions of Acrobat

Printing: Allowed

Changing the Document: Not Allowed

Document Assembly: Not Allowed

Content Copying: Allowed

Content Copying for Accessibility: Allowed

Page Extraction: Not Allowed

Commenting: Allowed

Filing of form fileds: Allowed

Signing: Allowed

Creation of Template Pates: Not Allowed

Any ideas about what the problem could be?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 20, 2012 Aug 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe it's a Designer form? If so, these aren't really PDF and redaction isn't likely to be an option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 23, 2012 Aug 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try doing a File > Save a Copy of your form first - you cannot apply redaction to a reader-extended form.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 10, 2012 Sep 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately the save a copy of for did not work either. I still cannot apply redactions...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 11, 2012 Sep 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this by chance a PDF/A document? Do you see any messages in the Standards Navigation pane? If you have this preference set, try turning it to the following: Edit > Preferences > Documents category "View Documents in PDF/A mode" Never.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 12, 2012 Sep 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the info. It is not a PDF/A document and even if I change the settings to what you suggested, it still does not work. Thank you very much for your input though!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 12, 2012 Sep 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is interesting. I haven't found a way to create a document for which Acrobat shows those exact restrictions, either for an Acroform or a static or dynamic XFA form, even if signed (locked or not) of certified, so there must be something else involved. Is there any chance you could post the file somewhere or send it by email?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 13, 2012 Sep 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi George,

Here is the link to download the file. http://www.ilo.org/global/statistics-and-databases/WCMS_161394/lang--en/index.htm

Let me know if you can figure anything out. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is indeed an XFA form that was created in LiveCycle Designer, and is also Reader-enabled. Even when you perform a "File > Save a Copy" to remove the usage rights, it remains an XFA form and Acrobat has very limited ability to modify XFA PDFs (apart from form filling). One thing you can do is print to PDF in Acrobat, which will generate a standard PDF. This new PDF will be editable in Acrobat, but the interactive form fields won't remain. However, this may be suitable for your needs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, that works! Thank you so much!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines