9 Replies Latest reply: Aug 17, 2012 10:03 AM by photodrawken RSS

Crash after launch

jdeline Community Member

I am receiving an error message immediately after launch of Elements 10.  Win 7. See attached image.  Any ideas?photoshopElementsCrash.gif

• 1. Re: Crash after launch
          photodrawken Community Member

Is this happening to the Editor or the Organizer?

How are you launching the affected application?  From the Welcome Screen or from Desktop shortcuts that you created?

Ken

• 2. Re: Crash after launch
            mytaxsite.co.uk CommunityMVP

The standard solution for situations like yours is to clear the preference file (make sure you have exited from PSE completely).

1) Go to this folder:

<C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Photoshop Elements\10.0>

2) Rename: "10.0" to "10.0-old"

3) Close your Windows Explorer

4) Restart your PSE10.

This should re-create fresh copies of all preferences files.

Good luck.

• 3. Re: Crash after launch
              jdeline Community Member

I'm launching it from the task bar.  I also tried from the shortcut on the desktop, from the Start menu and from PhotoshopElementsEditor.exe from Windows explorer.  Same results.

• 4. Re: Crash after launch
                jdeline Community Member

mytaxsite, I'll try your suggestion tomorrow morning.  Thanks all for the suggestions.

• 5. Re: Crash after launch

So I take it that you'e only having the problem with launching the Editor?

Ken

• 6. Re: Crash after launch
                    jdeline Community Member

I tried mytaxsite's suggestion regarding recreating the preference files.  No luck, even after a fresh reboot.  I have these download files from my original purchase last week - should I go ahead and reinstall or is there another tack to take?

PSEinstallationFiles.gif

• 7. Re: Crash after launch

Yep, that "suggestion" wasn't indicated by the problem.

No to re-installing. Just delete these two files -- they're in the hidden "\ProgramData" directory, so you'll need to temporarily change your folder options to show hidden files.

"C:\ProgramData\Adobe\Photoshop Elements\10.0\ThumbDatabase.db3"

"C:\ProgramData\Adobe\Photoshop Elements\10.0\Locale\en_us\MediaDatabase.db3"

Start PSE, and wait while it automatically rebuilds those database files.

Added:

I changed the directory names to PSE10.

Ken

Message was edited by: photodrawken to correct typos.

• 8. Re: Crash after launch
                        jdeline Community Member

Thanks, photodrawken.  That did the trick.  Out of curosity, does anyone have a hunch as to why these files got corrupt?  The only thing I can think of that might be a culpurit is a download of Splashtop, which is an app that will synch your desktop with your droid.  It had an agressive downloader that exhibited bad behavior, like resetting my Firefox home page to startfunmoods.com's search page and perhaps some other stuff.  I was unhappy with the app, and have since uninstalled it on both my laptop and droid.  But I'm wondering ...

Again, photodrawken, thanks.

• 9. Re: Crash after launch

You're welcome, jdeline.

Those PSE files control what appears in your Content and Effects panels.  The usual culprits that affect those files are installing 3rd party plugins, or actions, although I suppose it's possible that a malfunction of PSE while launching could, too.  Non-PSE apps are always a candidate, and your suspicions about Splashtop because of its behaviour is likely correct.

Ken