• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to make update method permanent once and forever?

Aug 17, 2012 Aug 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Every time I get an update to Flash and install it, at the end of the install I get the three update choices of ‘Allow Adobe to install updates (recommended)’, ‘Notify me to install updates’ and ‘Never check for updates (not recommended)’. Every time I choose the second option and every single subsequent time there is an update I have to go through the same procedure again because the first option becomes selected. I do NOT want Adobe to perform automatic updates. Is there a way to set it to notify me of updates but never bug me to change my update method? I have tried changing the setting through the Control Panel but this doesn’t make any difference either. I just want to be notified of updates but not be pestered with those same three options EVERY time.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 17, 2012 Aug 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe that dialog will show up after each install, but you can override this my modifying the mms.cfg file in your C:\windows\syswow64\macromed\flash folder (or if you are on a 32 bit system, c:\windows\system32\macromed\flash).

Just add the following to this text file:

SilentAutoUpdateEnable=0

For more information on this file and the options available to you, please see this guide:

http://wwwimages.adobe.com/www.adobe.com/content/dam/Adobe/en/devnet/flashplayer/pdfs/flash_player_1...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 15, 2013 Oct 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This answer is NOT working. The line "SilentAutoUpdateEnable=0" is already present. And it still queries for the annoying question, even when asked and answered ad nauseum.

Adobe should in the very next update, as a minimum, make it such, that the chosen value in "Choose your update method:" remains PERMANENT and FOR EVER until the user changes it. It is WILDLY annoying to have to answer this question over and over and over and over and over and over again. Make a new value or something that will be written to the mms.cfg file, that will permanently understand this setting, I Want to update, but I want to know when and how and why, and I especially want to do it myself - Automatic updates can for novice users be nice, until it screws up the entire system - but for super user level or above it is an annoyance, that programs do not respect the answers of the user. It SHOULD ask this question ONCE, and never ever there after - unless the user changes the behaviour, in e.g. the mms.cfg file.

I hope this is crystal clear --- it should be, and I cannot fathom that millions of other users are not annoyed by this popup box ... When i press "DONE" ... it should be EXACTLY THAT - notify me to install updates, BUT NOT to ask it every time what "update method" i want to use -- i've only told you a million times before --- just freaking get the answer and understand it.

Annoyed regards : CyberstormXIII

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines