21 Replies Latest reply: Sep 16, 2013 9:37 AM by TomT-shirts RSS

SVG handling

jmlg12 Community Member

is it normal that Bridge don't generate thumbnails from SVG files ? and can't add xmp metadatas ?

Thanks

• 1. Re: SVG handling
          Community Member

What exact OS and Photoshop version?

FWIW, I do get thumbnails and previews in Bridge CS4 and CS6 on my Mac.  I have SVG files set to open in (an old version of) Adobe Ilustrator (v.10,x).  Never tried to add any metadata to them.

• 2. Re: SVG handling
            jmlg12 Community Member

The mac is running Lion 10.7.4 and neither Bridge CS5 nor CS6 generate previews of my SVG files (even if this one is generate by Illustrator CS6)

I've also a PC running Windows Seven and have the same issues...

• 3. Re: SVG handling
              Community Member

Maybe having Adobe Illustrator makes a difference in my case, I don't know.

As a matter of fact, Illustrator may have created and embedded the preview in them when I opened them.  Again not sure.

• 4. Re: SVG handling
                jmlg12 Community Member

Hi,

I don't know what happens, but I've found a CS3 version of Bridge and yes, it is able to preview the SVG files...

Why it's not working in CS5 or 6 ?

• 5. Re: SVG handling
                  Community Member

jmlg12 wrote:

…Why it's not working in CS5 or 6 ?

I wish I could tell you, but as I said in post #1, it is working for me on my Mac in CS4 and in CS6.

• 6. Re: SVG handling
                    jmlg12 Community Member

Which app (with version) do you use to generate your SVG ?

I've tried on another mac with CS5 installed and I get the same...

• 7. Re: SVG handling
                      Community Member

I have never created an SVG file myself.  The ones I have all come from external sources.

All the vector files I have created myself over the last two decades I've generated in Adobe Illustrator and saved as AI files.

• 8. Re: SVG handling
                        Community Member

Here's an example of an SVG file displaying its Thumbnail and Preview in Bridge CS6.  Identical results are obtained in Bridge CS4 and Bridge CS5.

CS6_Bridge_svg_file.png

Control+click on thumbnail here to bring up contextual menu on Mac and go to full-size image on new tab or window.

Message was edited by: station_two

• 9. Re: SVG handling
                          jmlg12 Community Member

Hi,

Thanks for your efforts, but for any reason it don't work for me...

It works like this with my CS3 version of Bridge, but not with the last (CS5, CS6)...

I've tried copying the plug-ins folder of CS3 to CS6 in cas of, but no it don works.

(although there is no SVG plugin in this folder)

May be I have an installation Pb...what is making me confused is that I have the same issue on a PC running win7 and a CS6 too...

• 10. Re: SVG handling
                            Community Member

There's something weird about SVG files, for sure.  That's why I always re-save them as ".ai" files.

Sorry I couldn't help.

• 11. Re: SVG handling
                              jmlg12 Community Member

Ok,

There are also some interesting features in SVG like display directly in a webbrowser, linked graphics with URL file path,etc...

I'm trying to "clean" re_install my CS6 and will post here the result if the things get better...

Thanks for your feed back

• 12. Re: SVG handling
                                Community Member

Don't go to great lengths, as it has occurred to me that there's a chance that the previews in the few SVG files I have may have been created when I opened them in Illustrator.

jmlg12 wrote:

…There are also some interesting features in SVG like display directly in a webbrowser, linked graphics with URL file path,etc...

That makes sense.  SInce I generally don't deal with the web, I had not given that any thought.  Thanks.

• 13. Re: SVG handling
                                  AndrasFuchs Community Member

There is a free extension for Windows (both 32bit and 64bit) to have SVG thumbnails in Windows Explorer. I know that you wasn't exactly looking for this, but I had the same problem with Bridge CS6 and that's the only workaround I found for Windows 8.

It's open-source, so someone might want to port it to Mac as well. You can download it from here: http://code.google.com/p/svg-explorer-extension/

• 14. Re: SVG handling
                                    TomT-shirts Community Member

This has been a problem ever since CS4, and you're not alone. There are previous forum threads (with plenty of vitriol), such as here:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/310560

It is bewildering - every web browser can view these fine, Illustrator can create them, but Bridge will not view them. It appears that it can view preview files the operating system has a associated with SVG's, but not a raw SVG files alone. Bridge used to have this functionality before CS4.

Can anyone reccomend graphic asset management software that does show SVG's? Apple iPhoto won't show them either, even though quickview and preview show them fine. There must be something out there.

• 15. Re: SVG handling
                                      shawninvancouver Community Member

Does anyone know of an answer to this problem?

I expected that Bridge CS6 (6.0.1.6 64 bit) on Win 7 would be able to view thumbnails of svg files... but it doesn't! Why not?

BTW, huge thanks to AndrasFuchs for the Windows svg thumbnails extention. This, at least, helps a huge amount. Now I don't need to open each .svg into AI to see it! Thank you.

http://code.google.com/p/svg-explorer-extension/

• 16. Re: SVG handling
                                        LibbieCStagers Community Member

Click the 'more options' button in the modal box that appears when you save as SVG, and make sure the Include XMP check box is ticked, and Bridge will give you previews for SVG files.

• 17. Re: SVG handling

Libbie,

That assumes you're the one saving out the SVG's you need to browse. We're not.

• 18. Re: SVG handling
                                            Gohunter Community Member

I'm also not able to see the thumbnail of SVG file in Bridge CC. It is really frustrating, I have tons of svg files sort through. agh...

• 19. Re: SVG handling

If you're on a Mac, Pixa is an image manager that handles SVG preview.

• 20. Re: SVG handling
                                                Gohunter Community Member

I have both Mac and Windows.

Is that a plugin for bridge or it's individual software?

• 21. Re: SVG handling

It's a stand-alone image manager. It's cheap and good at SVG's, though.