7 Replies Latest reply: Aug 19, 2012 5:32 PM by jsherlock21 RSS

Dreamweaver 5.5 will not start after system restore help?

jsherlock21

I have a purchased copy of the software.  I installed it late last year.  I restored my system back to a backup of July 15.  Note an update to Dreamweaver  was done using the site suggestion.  Now it will not launch..  HELP.  Photoshop Elements launches not problem,  I lost my Photoshop CS6 installed earlier in the week. 

I downloaded Support Advisor and it says I have no issues but nothing happens when I try to launch the application.

• 1. Re: Dreamweaver 5.5 will not start after system restore help?
          Mylenium MVP

You cannot restore Adobe apps from backups. They must be properly reinstalled. Download the installers from the Adobe site directly or using this method:

Direct Download Links for Adobe Software

After that, run the Creative Suite Cleaner Tool and then reinstall everything. Call support to reset activations, if you've busted them in the process.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Dreamweaver 5.5 will not start after system restore help?
            jsherlock21 Community Member

The dreamweaver CS5.5 is not listed on the link you provided.  So I can no longer use the DVDs I got for these products?  Can I remove and reinstall them in windows?

• 3. Re: Dreamweaver 5.5 will not start after system restore help?

When I try to uninstall Dreamweaver I get an error that says Adobe Application Manager is needed to remove the application but is damaged or missing a file.  I tried to download Adobe Application Manager it fails and says download support assistant to determine why.  I downloaded Support Assistant and it checked for errors and could find none.  I tried to turn on logging and nothing is captured when the Application Manager install fails... stuck!

• 4. Re: Dreamweaver 5.5 will not start after system restore help?
                Jeff A Wright Adobe Employee

Please try the steps offered by Mylenium.  The link to Dreamweaver CS5.5 is on the page he listed if you scroll the page down.  Alternately I have copied the link for you.  http://prodesigntools.com/adobe-cs5-5-direct-download-links.html.  You will need to follow the directions proceeding the links exactly if you wish to download the software.  If you receive the message Access Denied then please try the steps listed again.

Also I would assume your system got compromised in some fashion for you to utilize the system restore feature.  Please keep in mind that this feature does not guarantee you computer will now function properly.  You may want to consider backing up your documents and settings, formatting and reinstalling Windows, restoring your documents and settings, and then reinstalling your Applications.

• 5. Re: Dreamweaver 5.5 will not start after system restore help?

Reinstalling WIndows and all my applications is not an option.

I have internet connectivity now and everything is work except the Adobe applications. I have all of the DVDs but nothing will install. I have tried to use the cleanup tool to remove Dreamweaver, it appears to be totally gone but still will not install again either using the site you provided or my original DVD. I also tried to install Photoshop CS6 using my DVD and I get the same error messages missing file. Need to install Adobe Application Manager which when I follow the link produces an error saying failed to install use Adobe Support Advisor which I follow the link and download it, run it, says no errors. I tell it in settings to capture errors. I have closed it and left it open when attempting the installs of products or Application Manager and nothing is captured. I give up!!!! Nothing should be that difficult to remove or fix after a system restore. I have a Dell Inspirion laptop with Windows 7 and do not have the complete Windows 7 installation disk. I had no idea that Adobe would not be able to be removed and wiped clean and reinstalled if there were system issues.

John Sherlock

• 6. Re: Dreamweaver 5.5 will not start after system restore help?
                    Jeff A Wright Adobe Employee

You should be able to locate the source of your difficulties by reviewing the installation logs.  You can find complete directions on how to accomplish this at Troubleshoot with install logs | CS5, CS5.5, CS6 - http://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite/kb/troubleshoot-install-logs-cs5-cs5.html.  The key step is searching for Error and Fatal.  Most often the text near Error will contain the error code which is causing the installation to fail.

• 7. Re: Dreamweaver 5.5 will not start after system restore help?

All the install logs found at the location mentioned in the link you provided are previously successful installs all prior to the system restore I was forced to do yesterday. Both CS5.5 Dreamweaver and CS6 Photoshop. Like I mention when I attempt to do the install it fails immediately with missing file and to install the Adobe Application Installer which also fails but no log is created for the that failure either. I was able to get the Adobe Support Advisor to provide this message http://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite/kb/troubleshoot-error-messages-bootstrapper-cs5.html. I followed the instructions at this location and there was no key in the registry for the value specified. So again another dead end. There must be a way to remove directories and or installation components from my machine to just start over! I have a registry cleaner utility tool which should also be able to remove missing components and or registry entries. Again, re-installing software should just not be this difficult. I appreciate your attempts to help but believe me spending hundreds of dollars for a top notch tool should not provide this much grief when reinstalling. Adobe needs a cleanup tool that will remove all of the adobe directories, registry entries and files from a users machine so installation can start over.

None of the tools I have executed have done this so far. What a mess!