• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Will Canon 5d Mark III Raw files work with Lightroom 3

New Here ,
Aug 18, 2012 Aug 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just tried to upload Raw files from a Canon 5d Mark III to Lightroom 3.  The file were not recognised.  I believe there were some update issues but my Lightroom 3 is updated.  Do I need to get Lightroom 4?  I need to know urgently as I have a shoot tomorrow and will go back to my Mrk II if I can't get an update for Lightroom 3.

Message title was edited by: Brett N

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Aug 18, 2012 Aug 18, 2012

The last version of LR3 was updated last December, and the 5D.3 is newer than that, so yes you need LR4. 

You can download the LR4 trial ( or just the LR 4.1 update from www.adobe.come/downloads/updates/ ) and have 30 days before you need to purchase and input a serial number.

The other choice is to use the DNG Converter 7.1 that knows about your new camera but allows the converted DNGs to open in LR3.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The last version of LR3 was updated last December, and the 5D.3 is newer than that, so yes you need LR4. 

You can download the LR4 trial ( or just the LR 4.1 update from www.adobe.come/downloads/updates/ ) and have 30 days before you need to purchase and input a serial number.

The other choice is to use the DNG Converter 7.1 that knows about your new camera but allows the converted DNGs to open in LR3.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LR3 DOES NOT support Canon 5D3, 1Dx, Nikon D800 or Nikon D4.

Newer cameras wont work in it, and require LR4 for RAW processing (Tethering in LR4 STILL is not supported)

However,

LR4 is massively buggy, and slow to a point where it is practically unuseable for anything other than a handful of images to edit.

Also, LR4 will not tether to the new cameras (for that, try ANY of the competing professional software, Aperture, Capture One - They work just fine)

You can, convert your 5D3 files to DMG, and then open them in LR3 that way, or you can get LR4 and deal with it's massively awful slow issues that Adobe has still not resolved 5.5 months after launch, or you can use other software.

Those are your options.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LR4 is not slow for most people, I don’t think, but obviously you would want to check how it works on your computer, tonight, so you know if you need to deal with using the DNG Converter, tomorrow, or not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's slow for a massive amount of people, run a google search, forum after forum after forum of complaints.

I dont personally know a single working professional that is having positive speed results from the software.

But I sure know first hand how bad it is.

Sprengel, do you not have any issues?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mine runs fine. I have seen people on this forum say theirs runs fine, even as recently as yesterday, for even huge D800 images, but others have many-second delays on very fast systems, so there is a big problem with LR4 for some users, yes, which is why it is wise to check the trial on a particular computer to make sure it works ok.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LR4.1 is running fine for me on Win 7. No issues to date.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 19, 2012 Aug 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jameskachan wrote:

It's slow for a massive amount of people, run a google search, forum after forum after forum of complaints.

A tiny - and extremely vocal - subset of the total Lr user base.

No issues here, and I know pros who are as happy as a clam with Lr.

It is not - by any stretch of the imagaination - "massively buggy".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Aug 19, 2012 Aug 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not Sprengel, but I don't have any current issues with LR4.1 on my fast homebuilt desktop PC, nor on my much cheaper Samsung laptop. But I did do various things after upgrading from 3 to 4 which speeded things up.

bob Frost

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Aug 29, 2012 Aug 29, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Runs fine on my two year old custom built Windows PC and newer Dell Laptop.  No issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines