7 Replies Latest reply: Sep 8, 2012 3:05 PM by RickCP RSS

About the Reader 9.5.2 Update

RickCP Community Member

Hi Everybody:

Yesterday, Adobe Reader successfully updated to 9.5.2 - CPSID_83708 as correctly shown on my "Add or remove programs" feature.

However, the app still shows version 9.5.1 in the Help > About Adobe Reader 9... page, same as half of the plug-ins (whether loaded or not) shows version 9.5.1.283 instead of 9.5.2.295.

Also, Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape "9.5.1.283" in Firefox 13 finds no updates for it, and interestingly, I just found a rare "PLUGINS" folder containing this plugin for Firefox but in the IE program folder?

Is this a known issue or a problem my side?

Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: About the Reader 9.5.2 Update
          pwillener CommunityMVP

I do not have Reader 9.5 installed, so I cannot verify it on my system.

Not all modules are necessarily rebuilt for a security update, so some modules may still remain on the previous version.

Can you check what version the following modules have:

• C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Reader 9.?\Reader\AcroRd32.dll
          • C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Reader 9.?\Reader\AcroRd32.exe
          • C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Reader 9.?\Reader\Browser\nppdf32.dll

In Reader X they all have been updated to 10.1.4.

• 2. Re: About the Reader 9.5.2 Update
            RickCP Community Member

Hi Pat:

Not all modules are necessarily rebuilt for a security update, so some modules may still remain on the previous version.

I wouldn't have thought of that, being that it's a "quarterly" update.

Can you check what version the following modules have:

• C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Reader 9.?\Reader\AcroRd32.dll
            • C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Reader 9.?\Reader\AcroRd32.exe
            • C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Reader 9.?\Reader\Browser\nppdf32.dll

You're correct: They still pointing to version 9.5.1.

If main file AcroRd32.exe is still 9.5.1, I suppose the update (contrarily to what I previously thought) did not install successfully at all.

As it was an automatic update process and being that the installer did not show any error message but a successful completition, plus the fact that new version 9.5.2 is listed in my Programs feature - so creating a false impression of a successful installation - I would think that can be classified as a "bug"...... What would you say?

Could it be a factor that the update installed over 9.5.1 and not over its base 9.5.0? meaning that 9.5.1 should've been uninstalled first. This is to say that the automatic mechanism does not work properly for these updates. I don't know - just wondering!

How to troubleshoot this now?

In Reader X they all have been updated to 10.1.4.

I was planning to upgrade to X in the near future (before 9.x EOL) but now I may do it earlier.

Await your advices with interest. Thanks,

• 3. Re: About the Reader 9.5.2 Update
              pwillener CommunityMVP

I do not know what happened; unless someone else with 9.5.x can tell us what they see in their installed files.

What I would do in your situation is download the 9.5.2 patch and run it: http://ardownload.adobe.com/pub/adobe/reader/win/9.x/9.5.2/misc/AdbeRdrUpd952_all_incr.msp

• 4. Re: About the Reader 9.5.2 Update
                RickCP Community Member

Thanks Pat. You mean just running it without previously removing actual 9.5.2 and 9.5.1?

• 5. Re: About the Reader 9.5.2 Update
                  pwillener CommunityMVP

Yes, the patch will update Reader 9.5.1 to 9.5.2.

• 6. Re: About the Reader 9.5.2 Update
                    RickCP Community Member

Hey Pat, just to confirm running the patch fixed the issue and all modules are now at new v9.5.2.295. Thank you.

I would however still need to figure out why would that PLUGINS (nppdf32.dll) folder be at my IE Program folder?

Could you help me with that?

Thanks

• 7. Re: About the Reader 9.5.2 Update
                      RickCP Community Member

I would however still need to figure out why would that PLUGINS (nppdf32.dll) folder be at my IE Program folder?

So, Nobody on this one? If so, please see my reposted/new thread here > http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1062845?tstart=0

Thanks!