8 Replies Latest reply: Aug 19, 2012 1:39 AM by pwillener RSS

Photoshop Type Tool

pwillener CommunityMVP

Windows 7; Photoshop 13 (CS6).

Sorry, quite new at Photoshop...

I am typing some text in a new layer; no problem so far.  I need to insert some special characters that are not on the keyboard, e.g.

Tōkai

That also was not a problem; I copied the character from the Windows Character Map.

Now I want to copy/paste more special characters from the Character Map, e.g.

(U+260F) or

(U+2709).

Now all of a sudden this does not work; the pasted characters appear in Photoshop  as a boxed X.

The font I have been using was Arial, but when I pasted these Unicode characters, the font automatically changed to Myriad Pro.  Changing the font back to Arial does not alter the boxed X.

I took these Unicode characters from the Character Map using font Arial Unicode MS.  That font does not appear in Photoshop.

Questions:

1. are there any Unicode fonts available in Photoshop?
      2. is there any other way to paste such characters into Photoshop?

Thank you kindly for any suggestions.

• 1. Re: Photoshop Type Tool
          pwillener CommunityMVP

I have circumvented the situation by using the stupid old Wingdings fonts.

However, I still need to know how to insert other Unicode characters that are not part of the Wingdings fonts.

• 2. Re: Photoshop Type Tool
            Chris Cox Adobe Employee

All Unicode fonts you have installed are available in Photoshop.

The X is because the font you have chosen has no glyph for that character value.

Some other programs will substitute another font when you enter a character that a font does not contain.

You need to choose a font that contains the character you are entering.

• 3. Re: Photoshop Type Tool
              pwillener CommunityMVP

Thank you, Chris; I will do some more testing using a variety of fonts.

• 4. Re: Photoshop Type Tool
                pwillener CommunityMVP

Just a follow-up, in case anybody else ever has the same question...

I tested various fonts, and these are able to display glyphs above U+2660:

• Microsoft Himalaya
                • Microsoft New Tai Lue
                • Microsoft PhagsPa
                • Microsoft Sans Serif
                • Microsoft Tai Le
                • Microsoft Yi Baiti
                • all Japanese fonts, e.g. MS ゴシック

An interesting thing is that when I insert any of these Unicode characters, both Photoshop and Illustrator automatically switch the font to Myriad Pro, which has all the glyphs between U+2660 and U+2770 missing.

• 5. Re: Photoshop Type Tool
                  Chris Cox Adobe Employee

How did you test them? 

In what other application?  (again, many, including most from Microsoft, lie about the available characters)

• 6. Re: Photoshop Type Tool
                    acresofgreen Community Member

Pat Willener wrote:

I copied the character from the Windows Character Map.

As Chris has indicated (with a rather unkind choice of words), the Windows character map shows extended characters from some other font if the one selected doesn't have a glyph for them.  At least that has been my experience. I would love to know if there is some handy tool out there to accurately display the actual glyphs in a font under Windows.

• 7. Re: Photoshop Type Tool
                      pwillener CommunityMVP

Chris Cox wrote:

How did you test them?

By selecting the pasted characters (in Ai & Ps), then applying every available font to them (one by one).

One thing I am wondering is why 'Arial Unicode MS' is not showing up in the list of available fonts...

• 8. Re: Photoshop Type Tool
                        pwillener CommunityMVP

acresofgreen wrote:

I would love to know if there is some handy tool out there to accurately display the actual glyphs in a font under Windows.

The Character Map does that, more or less, although it's a bit cumbersome.  Maybe I should do a bit more research on that, and write such a tool if no-one else has done it already.