10 Replies Latest reply: Aug 21, 2012 6:22 AM by SAFEHARBOR11 RSS

Ultra Long Render

Preditor Corbett Community Member

I am unsure if this is taking a long time because i am rendering a dynamicly linked file or because there is something going on with my system.

The file type/codec is mts / avchd @1080p24. It is only 3m40s long. The Dynamic link is with AE out of the CS5 Masters suite.

so far it has been rendering for 3h32m. That sems incredibly long on a Macpro 3.0 quad with 8gigs ram.

What the deal here?

long premier render.png

• 1. Re: Ultra Long Render
          lasvideo Community Member

Heres a tip. Render any dynamically linked clips in AE then export as a movie and replace the DL clip on the time line. AE renders much faster then AE. I know...it flies in the face of DLs, but thats what an Adobe employee once told me to do..

Once you get the DL link locked down so you like it, do as I suggested. If you have fast processors AE will do it quicker.

• 2. Re: Ultra Long Render
            JSS1138 Community Member

AE renders much faster then AE.

In my testing, I actually got slightly faster render times when PP rendered the linked comp than when AE rendered it out directly.

• 3. Re: Ultra Long Render

i am testing this theory of going out from AE instead of rendering in PP via Dynamic link.

I will post the outcome later.

• 4. Re: Ultra Long Render
                lasvideo Community Member

One cool bonus thing is this. After exporting your movie from AE and importing it into PP, there is XMP data included in your movie file. That means if you decided later you need to change anything on the AE movie clip in PrP, just right click on that clip (on the timeline) and select Edit Original. It will then open that AE project so you can make revisions. Bing, bang, boom!

• 5. Re: Ultra Long Render
                  Jim Curtis Community Member

You've probably figured it out by now, but it's unusual for a render to take that long, given your specs, with our without Dynamic Link.  You probably got faster renders by rebooting or simply relaunching your app.  Or, by trashing prefs or removing corrupt media from your sequence.

Lasvideo, that's a pretty cool tip.  I didn't know about that. 

But, I wonder if using XMP data in Ae is similar to in Pr.  I have found a serious downside there.  I forget which check box does it (one of the two with XMP in them), but media files are modified whenever they're opened in a project.  This is only really a problem when I do backups, which is daily or sometimes, even more often:  I keep my media and project data together in the same folder.  My cloning software sees that the media has changed, and then re-copies and verifies the media to my backup disk.  When I have over 100 GB of media in a project (which is not that unusual), the backup process can take hours, and not seconds, which is the case when just the project, auto-saves, and Previews have been changed.  Because of this, I keep those XMP boxes unchecked, and live with the consequences.

• 6. Re: Ultra Long Render

Well, I did save about 30mins on the render. But still longer than anything that i have rendered before. I did use something new in AE and that was RedGiant DeNoise2.

I have a 25min project i did in pp using all DL clips for CC & effect and it did not take this long. It is MTS and while i like the fact that Pr can handle that I have always wondered what is Pr's favorite codec. I dont like to do intermediate codecs but i do like having which ever nle use run smoothly at high performance levels.

I think its a system bottle neck now. So i will repair permissiions, dump system caches, trash prefs and restart to see if that helps.

• 8. Re: Ultra Long Render
                      SAFEHARBOR11 Community Member

Magic Bullet Denoiser works wonders, but does render incredibly slow...maybe a frame per second on an average system. There's your issue.

Jeff Pulera

Safe Harbor Computers

• 9. Re: Ultra Long Render

Have ever tried neat video pro. I have heard its a better denoiser and that it renders faster.

• 10. Re: Ultra Long Render
                          SAFEHARBOR11 Community Member

I did try the Neat Video trial, but  could not get it working. Tried the Red Giant trial and that worked, so that's what I went with, happy with results, although it needs to render overnight.

Thanks

Jeff