12 Replies Latest reply: Sep 26, 2012 6:31 PM by emil emil RSS

About color

community help Community Member
        • 1. Re:  About color
          dontcallmekathy

No matter what color I use, even the ones in the gradient drop down (black and white, orange, blue sky) when I try to use a gradient on lettering, it goes to solid black...every time.

What am I doing wrong?

• 2. Re:  About color
            [scott] Community Member

Live text can not contain a gradient fill on the base of the character.

To apply a gradient to text, first add a new fill via the Appearance Panel, then apply the gradient to that new fill.

• 3. Re:  About color
              dontcallmekathy Community Member

Ok, not sure how to do that. Say I make the word, which happens to be Cellular,

yellow from the swatch panel for Type. Then if I "select" Cellular and go to the

gradient panel ( on the far right side of the artboard) the only way I can get

a color for the tabs is to double click the tab and choose say yellow on the

left tab and white on the right tab...but the word Cellular turns black.

Is it possible to give me detailed instructions? 

Kathryn

A Better Place:

Paperback: https://www.createspace.com/3555275

EBook: www.smashwords.com/profile/view/kateraffordy

A Better Place: The Search for Robert

Paperback: https://www.createspace.com/3597841

• 4. Re:  About color
                [scott] Community Member

Snap_001.png

• 5. Re:  About color

ok, first off, I have cs6 and the panel for fill does not look like what you

sent to me. However, I click on the text to "select" it, then went to the fill

panel, on left side of art board, and chose my color...yellow. The box next to

fill is gradient and when I click that and choose a color...black.

I have attached a screen shot of the panel in succession that I go to.

Note: I did not use AI for the attached document, but another program that I

have. However, the screen shoots are of AI.

Kathryn

A Better Place:

Paperback: https://www.createspace.com/3555275

A Better Place: The Search for Robert

Paperback: https://www.createspace.com/3597841

• 6. Re:  About color
                    [scott] Community Member

I posted a screen shot of Illustrator CS6 on the Mac.

It may look different in overall color based upon how you have your UI preferences set. By default the panel backgrounds are dark. I've chosen to use a lighter UI color.

It is a screen shot of the Appearance Panel. (Window > Appearance) Note the text in the panel's tab. There is no "fill panel" in Illustrator which I'm aware of.

There is no screenshot in your posts. If you wish to insert an image, use the little camera icon in the reply area.

It may also be helpful to remove your advertising links to your posts, since they have nothing to do with the issue and only serve to offer confusion.

• 7. Re:  About color

Ok, I got it...thank you

• 8. Re:  About color
                        ali@rbc

Why does Illustrator export to JPG, TIF EMF etc but change the cmyk colour specified (yes I am using cmyk model on export) to a different cmyk colour? It seems to choose the RGB version of the colour not the cmyk one?  So if I pas the exported file on to someone Ihave to tell them to chang the colour back to the originalcmyk reference.

• 9. Re:  About color
                          emil emil Community Member

Most likely you are not using a document in CMYK color mode. To check, open your document and  look at the title bar of the document window. At the top left corner is displayed the name of your document ending with the color and preview mode in brackets - it should end with (CMYK/Preview) not with (RGB/Preview). To change and also verify the color mode use File > Document Color Mode.

• 10. Re:  About color
                            ali@rbc Community Member

Thanks but no, document is cmyk.  I have never had this colour shift happen before on earlier versions, I am beginning to put this down to a glitch in AIcs.

Ali

• 11. Re:  About color
                              Wade_Zimmerman Community Member

Are you embedding the profile? Thee is an option to do so in the export to tiff and jpeg but I am not sure emf supports cmyk?

• 12. Re:  About color
                                emil emil Community Member

ali@rbc wrote:

Thanks but no, document is cmyk.  I have never had this colour shift happen before on earlier versions, I am beginning to put this down to a glitch in AIcs.

Ali

If this is a glitch / bug it should be reproducible if you describe the steps that demonstrates this problem.