Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Problems with jpeg2000 in pdf

New Here ,
Aug 17, 2012 Aug 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

with release 10.1.4. of Adobe Acrobat, support of scanned and embedded jpeg2000-images by Adobe Acrobat has obviously gotten much worse !? Whereas with version 10.1.3 everything was OK, Acrobat can neither display nor print a lot of jpeg2000 images due to "insufficient data". Also export images to tiff or other formats does not work anymore. As mentioned, the same files / images were opened and displayed and exported correctly in Version 10.1.3. I have checked whether there are syntax or other errors in the named file (the answer is no). This occurs obviously with files created or treated by Acrobat itself as well as many other software creating pdfs with embedded jpeg2000. I hope this bug will be fixed as soon as possible, cause on the base of my understanding, this is a bug in Adobe Acrobat and maybe Adobe Reader too. Jpeg2000 is used in the whole world by many users and created by many software companies on the base of an ISO-certified standard. Note: the files are pdf/a 2b files! At the moment the alternative is to leave pdf and to go back to tif-images or pdfs with embedded ZIP-TIF-Files with exploding storage space needs. Does anybody know already about this issue?

Thanks for your help!

TOPICS
Scan documents and OCR

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Dec 13, 2012 Dec 13, 2012

Acrobat engineering would like to inform users facing this issue that the latest Reader XI release (available for download from http://get.adobe.com/reader) fixes this problem. Users are requested to download the latest version at the earliest to avoid encountering this error going forward. As mentioned earlier, the team is working actively towards fixing the problem in earlier versions (10.x and 9.x) as well and expects to deliver a solution by Q1 2013.

For more information, please see our KB do

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds a serious bug. Please do report it, bugs aren't fixed if nobody tells Adobe. If you can share a problem file it may interest others in the community.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, I am trying right now to post a bug report to Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can definitely confirm this behaviour - I don't know if it's JPEG2000 related, but I am seeing the exact same "insufficient data for an image" error for most of our scanned letters and invoices.

PDFs are scanned and OCR'd using Abbyy Finereader 11. Everything just worked fine with 10.1.3, then 10.1.4 came along and broke it completely.

Every other viewer I tried (including Preview on the Mac, iPhone and iPad running IOS 5.1.1, Sumatra PDF and Acrobat Reader 10.1.2 on the Windows side) renders and prints the PDFs just fine, just Acrobat X Pro chokes on them. This is pretty horrible for us and I can only hope that this is a bug and not some intended change or something. I filed a bug report with Adobe, but god knows whether they'll respond or not. For now I can only downgrade some machines back to 10.1.3 and hope for the best. 😕

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the confirmation and the additional information concerning alternativ viewers. This indicates that your images and files are correctly formed. I think that we are not the only ones.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same happening here since the update yesterday (Acrobat Pro X). This is pretty serious. Checked it on other computers: 10.1.3 and below, as well as 3rd party readers work without any problem. This is very urgent!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bad news.

I'd encourage everyone effected to, separately, report this to Adobe.  A big company like Adobe can be slow to respond to problems, but there are people who count problems: it could result in a quicker fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How & where do I report this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks; I reported it now. Any easy way to revert to 10.1.3?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I reported it too:

******BUG******

Concise problem statement: With Version 10.1.4. Acrobat newly does not decode embedded jpeg2000 images correctly which have been created from third parties, be it Scansoftware, Converters, OCR-Abby Finereader or others. With 10.1.3 everything worked fine. There is some panic reaction in the english forum, I can tell you.

Steps to reproduce bug:

1.Download: /examplefile.pdf....

2.Open it with Acrobat 10.1.4 Zoom in to 150%, try to print, try to export the images in any other format.

3. Open it with 10.1.3, zoom in to 150%, try to print, try to export the images in any other format. 

Results: With 10.1.4. it does not work anymore.

Expected results: It should work like 10.1.3

Thank you very much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 19, 2012 Aug 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi arnold ETH,

How can I download this examplefile.pdf?

Can you share it across via some file sharing server (say acrobat.com)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The correct link has been sent with the cited description "With Version 10.1.4. Acrobat newly does not decode embedded jpeg2000 images correctly which have been created from third parties, be it Scansoftware, Converters, OCR-Abby Finereader or others." of the bug to Adobe support. I will try to procure another example download tonight 2100 GMT. Thank you for your patience: I am not at my desk right now, sorry.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here. I'm currently not at work but that problem is so widespread that you can easily

go to archive.org. There are thousands of files that are affected. As an example

see:

http://archive.org/details/onlatinlanguage01varruoft

Click on PDF and open or download and you will see. You can also go directly to

http://archive.org/download/onlatinlanguage01varruoft/onlatinlanguage01varruoft.pdf

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your examples on archive.org: The pdf contains jpeg2000 images (JPXDecode). As far as I can see, no problem to decode with 10.1.3., but for 10.1.4 problems start with zooming into 300% going back to 200%. and trying to extract the images in whatever format !!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for providing those timely examples - I am also not at work today, so can't upload examples myself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 20, 2012 Aug 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I speculate this is the same problem as here http://forums.adobe.com/message/4633344#4633344 and here (for Acrobat 9) http://forums.adobe.com/message/4633096#4633096.

I speculate this is an overenthusiastic format checker in a security patch.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 20, 2012 Aug 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another example: https://acrobat.com/#d=zuqVu*jY*gYIQ-R9-FJACQ shows you a version of https://acrobat.com/#d=1blaLcFPbb1YtodAThb3uw  (see Entry 14, above). I extracted the image (with Acrobat 10.1.3) sucessfully as tiff-file and converted it (with tiff-to-pdf) to a pdf with an image in ZIP-compression. In 10.1.4 this pdf with ZIP-compression does not cause any trouble. Naturally it's not a solution to convert all the jpeg2000 compressed pdfs to ZIP-compressed pdfs. But it's a confirmation of the fact, that the focus of the problem is to seen in decoding jpeg2000-images. Good luck to everybody.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I uploaded a pdf-Portfolio with examples in Acrobat.com. The Portfolio contains

1. a pdf generated directly by a scanner-software embedding jpeg2000-images with gentle jpeg2000-compression. The scanner is professional (costs more than 100 K$)
  2. a pdf/a 2b version file from the scanned pdf (1.). The pdf/a conversion was - by the way -  not done using Acrobat-Preflight, cause the process pdf/a 2b of Acrobat Preflight changes the greyscale images to RGB (why?).
  3. a pdf/a 2b with lossless jpeg2000 conversion of an uncompressed tif previously exported by Acrobat 10.1.3 (without problems) out of example 1. Also this pdf/a 2b is not created with Adobe Acrobat, cause batch clipping of tif-subfolders to one pdf for each folder is - unfortunately - not part yet of my Acrobat-Skills. I am still forced to use another tool for that one.

Reproduce bug: Open the file with Adobe Acrobat 10.1.4.: Zoom the image to 150%, try to print, try to export the image as tif. Note: all the files or images are decoded correctly by 10.1.3., so that zooming, printing, exporting is working just fine.

URL: https://acrobat.com/#d=1blaLcFPbb1YtodAThb3uw

The document is now shared to public viewing.

Help us: I guess that Billions of documents are stored with jpeg2000-compression, which is as far as I am concerned - a reasonable strategy for a good balance between storage costs and image quality. To read them and work on them, I personally still prefer Adobe products. Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 21, 2012 Aug 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello valamik: Accessible documents are available here:

1) Description see Entry 14 of this discussion (https://acrobat.com/#d=1blaLcFPbb1YtodAThb3uw)

2) Description see Entry 18 of this discussion (https://acrobat.com/#d=zuqVu*jY*gYIQ-R9-FJACQ)

3) New example: This pdf was the same as the first example in https://acrobat.com/#d=1blaLcFPbb1YtodAThb3uw, but it was converted with Acrobat Preflight 10.1.3 into pdf/a 2b (https://acrobat.com/#d=3mm3G5OQ-6ePhHLipLtarg). This works fine in 10.1.4, which prooves, that the original embedded jpeg200 image is decodable (not corrupt) and that adobe-treated jpeg2000 seem to pass the decoding without problems in 10.1.4. Of course it is impossible to treat all the pdf with embedded jpeg2000 images this way to solve the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 23, 2012 Aug 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The bug is now officially acknowledged by Adobe I guess.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 08, 2012 Oct 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

http://blogs.adobe.com/dmcmahon/2012/08/21/acrobat-insufficient-data-for-an-image-error-after-updati...

Last update allowed on Sept. 8th. Closed for editing.

No further updates, no solution.

Shame on Adobe!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 11, 2012 Oct 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe is aware of the problem. In other threads as on the blog, they say they are working on it. What do you expect Adobe to say until it has the problem fixed and scheduled to be in an update. Except for Security issues Adobe generally doesn't rush out fixes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 13, 2012 Dec 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Acrobat engineering would like to inform users facing this issue that the latest Reader XI release (available for download from http://get.adobe.com/reader) fixes this problem. Users are requested to download the latest version at the earliest to avoid encountering this error going forward. As mentioned earlier, the team is working actively towards fixing the problem in earlier versions (10.x and 9.x) as well and expects to deliver a solution by Q1 2013.

For more information, please see our KB document for this issue:http://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/insufficient-data-image.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 23, 2013 May 23, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This has not been resolved.  Please see my post in http://forums.adobe.com/message/4736019.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines