Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Provide feedback button in quiz score slide

Aug 20, 2012 Aug 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi we have created a training using adobe captivate 6.  We have kept a final quiz containing 5 questions.  At the end there is a score slide.  In case of passing of the quiz we want a button called feedback to appear. The button needs to be hyperlinked to a url.  How can we do this?

TOPICS
Quizzing and LMS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 20, 2012 Aug 20, 2012

In Captivate 6 you can use a shape, while checking the option 'Use as button' in its properties panel. One of the possible actions for such a shape button is to open an URL. There are even shape buttons in the Button category (like 'i') that are already set up to be a button and have that action.

Make this shape button invisible by unchecking the visibility in output in its Properties panel. Since you want to have it appearing when entering the Score slide, you'll have to use a conditional advanc

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Needless to say that in case of failure we dont want the button to appear.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Captivate 6 you can use a shape, while checking the option 'Use as button' in its properties panel. One of the possible actions for such a shape button is to open an URL. There are even shape buttons in the Button category (like 'i') that are already set up to be a button and have that action.

Make this shape button invisible by unchecking the visibility in output in its Properties panel. Since you want to have it appearing when entering the Score slide, you'll have to use a conditional advanced action that will be triggered On Enter for the Score slide. You can use a condition based on the system variable cpQuizInfoPassFail. Something like this:

IF cpQuizInfoPassFail is equal to 1

THEN Show Shapebutton     (enter the label of the button)

ELSE Continue

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Lilybiri,  I tried doing that.  However, it didnt work

I did the following:

IF cpQuizInfoPassFail is equal to cpQuizInfoPassPercent

AND Show Feedback (label of Smart shape button)

Else Continue

How do i get 'Then'?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And what i will i keep in the Quiz Preferences>Pass or Fail>If Passing Grade

???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

cpQuizInfoPassPercent has the required percentage for passing, whereas cpQuizInfoPassFail can have only two possible values: 0 if failed, 1 if passed.  So your condition will never result in true. The explanation of the system variables appears in the Variables dialog box, check them out.

I'm using the normal language of conditions: THEN is in the same view of the dialog box for actions, second portion, whereas for Else you have to click on the Else button.

The Pass/Fail actions for the Quiz you specify in the Quiz Preferences will only be done when the user clicks on the Continue button on the score slide. Because you asked for the button when entering the score slide, I proposed this work flow.

Some functionalities are extended in CP6, will certainly blog about it to compare with what I wrote for previous versions here:

http://lilybiri.posterous.com/question-question-slides-in-captivate

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i get your point about the cpQuizInfoPassPercent.

Still dont about THEN.  I only get two options "And"(all conditions are true),  "Or"(any of the conditions are true.

In Quiz Preferences Pass/Fail actions is set to "No Action".

So now my script reads

If cpQuizInfoPassFail greater or equal to cpQuizInfoQuizPassPercent

AND Actions Show Feedback

Else Continue

Still not working

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, I switched to IE because in Chrome I cannot paste any images. Here are the screenshots of the advanced action I created as an example, with indication of the different parts: IF, THEN, ELSE. Apparently you do not understand yet the possible values of cqQuizInfoPassFail, please take over my IF condition.

IFTHEN.png

THEN.png

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right. great that clarifies. I did this, made the button invisible.

Still didnt work man.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you attach the action to the event On Enter for the score slide?

TriggerAction.png

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes done this.  What about the button itself? I uncheck visibility

And it remains hidden otherwise in the timeline?or visible?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It worked my man. Cheers..!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fine, BTW not a man, but a woman

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oops sincere aplogies lily (Right??)..sorry. Well let me also say thanks for all the time that you have helped me. You are a real life saver.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok so now thats out of the way.

The next thing that we want to achieve in the training course is the participants name.  We would like the participant to enter their name at the beginning of the course. Then we want their name to appear in the quiz score slide. (We want to do this in order to avoid cheating.. the idea is that people email the final screenshots of their quiz scores along with their names) How can we do this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 28, 2012 Aug 28, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey lilybiri (or anyone else for that matter).  So like last time i managed to create a button on the quiz result slide.  The purpose was to link that button to a external url.  We created an .exe and it worked like a charm.

However, we created a .swf of the same file. Opened it in chrome. However, here the button on the final quiz result slide does not redirect to the external url. Nothing happens on clicking the button.  How do we fix that??

Super Urgent - Someone please!! Thanks in advance

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 28, 2012 Aug 28, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you are testing this button action after publishing to some local hard drive or LAN folder, you will need to add that folder location to your Flash Global Security settings as a Trusted Location, otherwise it won't work.  Alternatively, upload the published files to a web server and test by accessing the HTM file in a browser using an HTTP:// address of some kind.  That way the Flash security won't be an issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have to uncheck Visible in Output in the Properties panel (see screenshot, highlighted in yellow).

The visibility option in the Timeline (red oval) is only useful while editing, to make some objcts on the stage unvisible. It has no effect whatsoever on the visibility of the object when previewing or after publishing.

How did you preview? Do not use Slide preview, please, that is only for synchronizing, but doesn't generate a SWF. Use Preview in Browser or Preview Project.

Visibility.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources