16 Replies Latest reply: Aug 20, 2012 5:10 AM by BobLevine RSS

Anyone having issues with InDesign (CS5) and Suitcase Fusion 3 (Mac)?

Jodifish

I've run into a problem that I think might be caused by Suitcase Fusion 3 [Version 14.2.0 (319)], but I'm wondering if anyone here is having any issues with InDesign and Suitcase Fusion like I am?

Just about every time I launch an InDesign document or an Illustrator document (don't seem to have the issue in Photoshop, strangely enough) it pretty much crashes to the point where it's a force quit. Before anyone asks the question, this is what I've done - I've reformatted my hard disk (even writing 0s!), done a clean install of Lion (10.7.3), clean install of Creative Suite 5 (and updates), clean install of Suitcase (and updates)...you get the idea. I'm still ending up with crashing just about every time I open a document in these two apps.

As an experiment I downloaded a (fully functioning) trial version of FontAgent Pro (which I didn't like, btw) and didn't encounter any crashing at all in either application.

I've opened a ticket with Adobe to see if they have any details as to whether this is a known conflict or whatever (though I don't hold much hope for getting help from them since it's looking more like a Suitcase issue than a Creative Suite one).

Does anybody have any suggestions as to what I can do to try and resolve this?

I'm in the middle of producing two magazines and I really really don't need this! Lol

• 1. Re: Anyone having issues with InDesign (CS5) and Suitcase Fusion 3 (Mac)?
          Peter Spier ACP/MVPs

The suitcase Autoactivation plugin is known to cause problems for some users. Generally downloading the latest version for Extensis solves it, so either you haven't really got the latest, or there's something else going on.

Please follow the directions for getting hang and crash reports here: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4199358#4199358 and someone will be able to confirm if the problem is really suitcase.

• 2. Re: Anyone having issues with InDesign (CS5) and Suitcase Fusion 3 (Mac)?
            Tom Usrey Community Member

You say "it pretty much crashes to the point where it's a force quit." Is it crashing, or is hanging (where it seems like nothing is happening)?

We have the Extensis Universal Type Server and Client, and we get the "hang" if we have "Activate Fonts in Embedded Objects" active. You might check and see if that is an option in the Auto-activation Prefs in InDesign and Illustrator.

• 3. Re: Anyone having issues with InDesign (CS5) and Suitcase Fusion 3 (Mac)?
              jkidwell Community Member

Jodi,

Please contact our support team directly to chat through your issue. Support is always free.

http://www.extensis.com/support

Jim Kidwell

Extensis

• 4. Re: Anyone having issues with InDesign (CS5) and Suitcase Fusion 3 (Mac)?
                Jodifish Community Member

Well, it does both....it hangs and I force quit, it hangs and I force quit....I can go through this several times....and then the app will eventually crash, usually at the point where I'd like to bodily throw the whole machine out the window!

To be honest, I haven't taken a look at the crash logs...mainly because I don't really understand a lot of it. Will copy it next time and will look at the Activate Fonts in Embedded Objects and see if it's turned on.

• 5. Re: Anyone having issues with InDesign (CS5) and Suitcase Fusion 3 (Mac)?
                  SIcsempertyrannis Community Member

Peter, would you know if I can update directly from Suitcase Fusion 3 (14.0.2) to 14.2? Or would I have to update the program, incrementally, from one patch to the next? I am experiencing the problem that is being discussed here and evidently this machine that I am working on has not been kept up to date.

• 6. Re: Anyone having issues with InDesign (CS5) and Suitcase Fusion 3 (Mac)?
                    BobLevine UGM-MVPs

Just open the program and check for updates.

Bob

• 7. Re: Anyone having issues with InDesign (CS5) and Suitcase Fusion 3 (Mac)?

Wow! Im embarrassed! Thank-you, Bob!

• 8. Re: Anyone having issues with InDesign (CS5) and Suitcase Fusion 3 (Mac)?

He he he...sorry...software updates can be anywhere in software! I kind of like Adobe's separate app that manages the updates for each separate app...

Update for anyone interested...my problem is looking more and more like a Suitcase issue and am having discussions with their tech support. There are a lot of things they want me to do so they can look into the problem. If anyone is interested I'll put the information in here. I'm still talking to Adobe as well, but they're stance is that it's a third party plug in and not their problem - which is fair enough. They still want to go through stuff with me to, though what they're going to suggest I don't know.

Sorry, not really very helpful. But, as I said, if anyone wants the details on what Extensis want me to do, either post here or email (can you do that from within the forum?) and I'll be happy to put the information up.

Thanks for everyone's input so far.

• 9. Re: Anyone having issues with InDesign (CS5) and Suitcase Fusion 3 (Mac)?

Sure-I think it would be helpful to know what steps to take if it helps resolve your problem; others can then follow suit.

• 10. Re: Anyone having issues with InDesign (CS5) and Suitcase Fusion 3 (Mac)?

From the lovely people at Extensis tech support -

Thanks for the info. As you said, if this is happening when you have only manually activated fonts, then the auto-activation isn't coming into play which does lead me to think it is related to the plug-in generally and maybe the sleep issue, which you say you definitely have. So I've added you to the sleep issue tracking.

If you find yourself coming back from putting the computer to sleep and the apps with Suitcase plugins have hung, do this:

1)      Go to your spotlight and type in "activity"

2)      Launch "Activity Monitor"

3)      Highlight the name of the adobe/quark application that is hanging by clicking it.

4)      Click the "Sample Process" button at the top of the screen.

5)      Click the "Save" button.

6)      Click the "Save" button again and save the file to your desktop.

7)      This will generate a file such as " Sample of Adobe Illustrator CS5.txt"

8)      Repeat this process with any other application that is hanging.

9)      Highlight the "FMCore" process by clicking it.

10)  Click the "Sample Process" button at the top of the screen.

11)  Click the "Save" button.

12)  Click the "Save" button again and save the file to your desktop.

13)  This will generate a file named " Sample of FMCore.txt"

14)  Place these files along with the ".Plugins.txt" files created earlier into a new folder called "Plugins"

15)  Right click (control+click) to compress into a .zip file.  

Please attach this zip in reply to this mail.

When we are sure of a fix, we'll get back to you. In the meantime here are some workarounds:

Option 1:

1)      Back up your font sets by dragging them to the desktop

2)      Remove SF3 v14.2 by following the instructions here: 

http://www.extensis.com/en/support/kb_article.jsp?articleNumber=4020

3)      Download and re-install Suitcase Fusion 3 (version 14.0.6) from: 

http://dl.extensis.com/downloads/ST/EN/M/SuitcaseFusion3-M-1406-EN.zip

4)      Are there fonts and font sets in your old font vault you would like to recover?

If NO :

a)      Open SF3

b)      Simply drag and drop your original fonts into the SF3 "Font Library". This will copy the fonts into a new font vault.

If YES : Restore your old fontvault from the backup the removal tool created

a)      If you choose "Y" to KEEP your font vault earlier when you ran the removal script, on your desktop you will find a folder called "Extensis-Backup-today's date" that contains a backup of your previous suitcase fusion 3 fontvault.

b)      Move your old font vault from the "Extensis-Backup-today's date" folder on your desktop into this folder: 

/Users/[your username]/Library/Extensis/Suitcase Fusion/Suitcase Fusion.fontvault

c)       Launch SF3 from your dock. you should now see all your old fonts and font sets.

Option 2:

Remove our auto-activation plugins and activate your fonts manually in SF3 and/or add your adobe/quark apps to the SF3 > Preferences > General > Global Auto-Activation Options list. here's how:

1)      In SF3: choose Suitcase Fusion 3 > Manage Plugins

2)      Uncheck the boxes for adobe/quark apps; this will remove our auto-activation plugins

3)      Choose SF3 > Preferences > General

4)      Under "Global Auto-Activation Options", press the "+" button to add your adobe/quark apps

Please note that "global auto-activation" is less accurate than our plugin-based auto-activation. Double check your font usage in your design app to confirm the correct font was loaded after opening a document.

• 11. Re: Anyone having issues with InDesign (CS5) and Suitcase Fusion 3 (Mac)?
                              mpc999 Community Member

Have you ever weighed the cost of the time you've lost versus the cost of buying Linotype Font Explorer Pro? You could put all this behind you.

I used to run a production department and saw Suitcase break repeatedly with what seemed like every Mac OS update. Extensis is great at recognizing this and getting after a fix, but in the meantime I've got work to do. Since moving to Linotype, we've had zero problems.

• 12. Re: Anyone having issues with InDesign (CS5) and Suitcase Fusion 3 (Mac)?
                                javier.barrera

I've had the same issues as you using Adobe CS5, Suitcase Fusion 14.2.0, and Lion 10.7.3. All programs and my OS have the latest updates. I've had the same freezing issues on my late 2008 MacBook Pro (4GB RAM, Core 2 Duo) as well as my Late 2010 iMac (12GB RAM, i7). I did a clean install on both machines for Lion. The freezing occurs in Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign.

I contacted Extensis, and submitted my crash reports as they sugguest. Apparently the only way to fix the issue is to revert back to Fusion 14.0.6. Option 2 didn't work on either machine. Until now, I've been a Fusion evangelist, however it appears that I may need to look into Linotype's Font Explorer X. The last response I got from Extensis was on Februray 16th, 2011, and they still say that they are unable to re-produce the freezing in-house. Again, I do love Suitcase Fusion - especially its support for Google Webfonts and WebINK - however having lost files that I forget to save and leave running in the background, its causing me to lose money and time.

• 13. Re: Anyone having issues with InDesign (CS5) and Suitcase Fusion 3 (Mac)?
                                  jkidwell Community Member

Sorry for the inconvenience. We continue to investigate the issue and will provide info as it becomes available. Please continue to contact us so that we can narrow in on the issue. Once we determine the cause we will issue an update. Thanks for your patience.

Jim Kidwell

Extensis

• 14. Re: Anyone having issues with InDesign (CS5) and Suitcase Fusion 3 (Mac)?
                                    posterns Community Member

I've been having the same problem--constantly. Did the uninstall according to the instructions above, but I was unable to copy my backup font vault into the new Library location (get an error message that it can't be replaced (perhaps because the backed up version is from a newer file version than the vault that gets created) -- don't have the errro message handy. I copied most of my files back in and that seems to have helped some, but now Acrobat has been giving me problems.

May have to look at font explorer.

Jeff

• 15. Re: Anyone having issues with InDesign (CS5) and Suitcase Fusion 3 (Mac)?
                                      James Garnham Community Member

Most of these problems above are a problem with the plugin, it's been there for a long while as far as I know and it is very annoying. I have found that, logging out ( I know?!) and logging back in with the user account that is having the problem solves it. Don't ask me how?! Come on Extensis...please fix this. I have seen these errors all around the internet for months if not years.

• 16. Re: Anyone having issues with InDesign (CS5) and Suitcase Fusion 3 (Mac)?
                                        BobLevine UGM-MVPs

Suitcase Fusion 4 is available. I've been using it on Mac and Windows for CS5, CS 5.5 and CS6 since its release and have had zero problems to date. It's a very nice upgrade and worth considering.

Bob