Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to set up a Bleed and Trim area

New Here ,
Aug 20, 2012 Aug 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I'm very new to Indesign and still can't get my head around Bleed & Trim. Please advise me how to set up what i'm being asked here;

Ad Spec.jpg

how to i input that into here;

Indesign.jpg

Many thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 20, 2012 Aug 20, 2012

The document size is 286x210 and the bleed is 3mm on all four sides. Turn off facing pages.

If you’re going to use InDesign this is going to be the least of your stumbling blocks.

I’ll give you my typical newbie advice.

First, buy Sandee Cohen’s Visual Quick Start Guide. It’s the best beginner book on the planet: http://amzn.to/ORQqtT

Secondly, check out the videos on Lynda.com. Here’s a link for a free one week trial: http://bit.ly/fcGpiI

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The document size is 286x210 and the bleed is 3mm on all four sides. Turn off facing pages.

If you’re going to use InDesign this is going to be the least of your stumbling blocks.

I’ll give you my typical newbie advice.

First, buy Sandee Cohen’s Visual Quick Start Guide. It’s the best beginner book on the planet: http://amzn.to/ORQqtT

Secondly, check out the videos on Lynda.com. Here’s a link for a free one week trial: http://bit.ly/fcGpiI

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wonderful. Thank you. I just bought the book!

I've set thatup and it looks like this;

Indesign.jpg

My only other issue is the "Type Area" they're requesting...how do i do that??

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Set your margins to 16mm all around (or put guides in those postions if you want wider margins). Not sure what this page is for, but they are telling you, badly, that the types hould not extend beyond these points.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for you help. Much appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trim Size = width and height in the New Document dialog box.

286 x 210

The bleed is an extension of the page where anything that needs to be printed to the edge of a page needs to go into bleed area to allow safe trimming.

This is 292 x 216

292-286= 6

216-210 = 6

This is on both left and right and top and bottom - divide the results by 2

So your bleed should 3 mm on all sides.

Type area is the margins, this is where all the material that doesn't need to extend to the edge of the page needs to go. Anything outside this area may look bad when the final pages are trimmed.

Your Trim Area is 286 x 210 and the required type area is 254 x 178

That would mean you set your margins to

(286 - 254)/2 = 16 mm top and bottom

(210 - 178)/2= 16mm left and right.

But this depends on if this is a book? If it's a book it's not a good idea to have even margins - as it will look lobsided when printed and bound.

I'd talk to your printers about what Margins would be optimal for the layout - if you're not sure yourself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's brilliant - exactly what i needed!! Gonna print that out and keep it safe. Just what i've spent all day googling to find.

Its for an advert in a magazine by the way...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Keep the margins even. You have no way of knowing if they'll put the ad on a left or right page.  And keep any important image details inside the type area, too, or you'll risk losing them in the binding.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, so i've got a 286x210 document with a 3mm bleed on each side & 16mm margin on each side. I'm good to go right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeh you should be good to go.

Anything that needs to go to the edge of the page needs to extend to the bleed line (red line)

Anything like text or anything that is not going to the edge of the page sits in the margins, 16mm away from the edge of the page.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If i wanted the edges of something (i.e. a banner) to get cropped but not go right to the edge of the page, would i just make the banner overlap the margins?...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can put objects outside the margins, but you want to stop anything that doesn't bleed far enough away from the page edge so it looks deliberate rather than like something that was supposed to bleed, but doesn't.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I see, Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seem like quite large margins, so you're probably safe. And the designer has 3mm to move the advert left or right depending on the position in the magazine if needs be.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines