8 Replies Latest reply: Aug 20, 2012 3:57 PM by endermetics Branched to a new discussion. RSS

How turn on brace matching all the time?

hrh gracie Community Member

I"m sure this is answered in here somewhere but I can't figure out what search will find it.......

I've got Dreamweaver CS4 and I can't find the preference to turn on the matching for braces and

parentheses and all such ALL THE TIME.  I know it's gotta be in there somewhere 'cause even

free editors like Komodo do this, but I'm missing it.......

Can somebody point me to how to do this?

• 1. Re: How turn on brace matching all the time?
          Zabeth69 Community Member

Edit > Preferences > Code Rewriting will get you "Fix invalidly nested and unclosed tags."

Beth

• 2. Re: How turn on brace matching all the time?
            David_Powers ACP

hrh gracie wrote:

I've got Dreamweaver CS4 and I can't find the preference to turn on the matching for braces and

parentheses and all such ALL THE TIME.

There isn't one. Yes, I know it's odd. People have requested it frequently, but Dreamweaver doesn't autocomplete or highlight matching braces and parentheses. If you want it added to Dreamweaver, make your voice heard by submitting a feature request through the form at http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform.

• 3. Re: How turn on brace matching all the time?
              hrh gracie Community Member

Wow...  I don't want to sound like a complete flaming idiot, but YOU'VE GOT TO BE KIDDING?  I'm definitely NOT an expert in

using Dreamweaver since in the past I always wrote html using Ultraedit or Komodo or some such.  But with php I thought I'd

try the "PREMIUM DEVELOPMENT ENVIRONMENT"......

There's no debugger

As near as I can figure, the Live View doesn't work worth <bleep>

You can't have the software match braces and such...

The editing capabilities aren't even up to what's in Ultraedit.  Or Komodo.

This is a lot like editing Basic code back in 1975, using print statements to try to find logic errors...

I'm SURE Dreamweaver has MANY invaluable features that make it well worth the ridiculous price Adobe

is charging for it, but from here it sure looks like a very expensive loser.

• 4. Re: How turn on brace matching all the time?
                {sitewide}

"PREMIUM DEVELOPMENT ENVIRONMENT" ???? Not sure who sold you that line. Dreamweaver is good for what it is. Thanks for the rant, but sounds like you need an editor that holds your hand when you code or design.....or should I say holds your hand more then the death grip Dreamweaver offers. Every program is different and to be honest the one major draw back with dreamweaver is that is makes for some lazy coders because it not only holds your hand during development , but it sits with you in class and does all your homework.

My suggestion is to give it a try and see how it flows. Letting go of the hand is not all that bad.

• 5. Re: How turn on brace matching all the time?
                  David_Powers ACP

hrh gracie wrote:

with php I thought I'd

try the "PREMIUM DEVELOPMENT ENVIRONMENT"......

Dreamweaver is a web design and development IDE. It has support for PHP, ASP, and ColdFusion, but is not a dedicated server-side development tool. To use Live View with PHP, install a local testing environment (see http://www.adobe.com/devnet/dreamweaver/articles/setting_up_php.html).

However, if you want a full-fledged PHP development environment, try Zend Studio for Eclipse or PhpED. However, neither of them has the level of support for HTML, CSS, and JavaScript that you'll find in Dreamweaver. Each tool has its strengths and weaknesses. Use the one that best fits your needs.

• 6. Re: How turn on brace matching all the time?
                    endermetics

I don't think it's a matter of hand holding here. Matching braces, the capability to jump from an open brace to its matching closing brace and vice versa is an extremely useful tool. It has nothing to do with holding hands my friend. Unless you're the type of guy who likes monochromatic monitors without any syntax highlighting, and think copy and paste is being pampered to death, then I wouldn't call brace matching and jumping "holding hands". It's an extremely effective tool, especially when you're dealing with code blocks that are hundreds of lines in length.
                    In my opinion - gimme all the bells and whistles you can. The faster and more productive I am, the more money I make. So if it's holding hands, then hold my hand baby! Cuz that cuddly soft hand is what pries those heavy rusty flood gates open!

• 7. Re: How turn on brace matching all the time?
                      Jon Fritz II MVP

endermetics wrote:

In my opinion - gimme all the bells and whistles you can.

That's just it, maybe they can't. In today's world of sue first and ask questions later, it's very possible, I dare say "likely", that Adobe simply can't copy that functionality due to patent issues. Adobe itself has been known to go on a couple of "you stole that" crusades against companies viewed as infringing on Adobe interface/functionality/proprietary-what's-a-ma-hoosit patents.

Can you imagine the "cha-ching" sounders going off in the heads of the lawyers for any company if they were to find a patented function or process from their software being used by Adobe?

I say request away on the wish form, but I wouldn't expect it to pop into any software without an acquisition or merger first.

• 8. Re: How turn on brace matching all the time?
                        endermetics Community Member

Definitely a good point. Software patents are killing 'user friendly'.

However, if it was I, I would cut every corner and poke through every hole to meet the demands of my users. They could even use an arbitrary "code" in the background that only represents the bracket, and ONLY if the user desires to do so. Then match this arbitrary what-not instead of the actual bracket.
                        But I hear ya man. However, being that almost every editor/IDE out there does bracket matching except dreamweaver, INCLUDING even Flash Professional, Flashbuilder(I know, built on eclipse, but still, the others aren't), and Adobe ExtendScript - all adobe, do bracket and curly brace matching. So, that's odd.
                        I would actually be curious to know the exact reason why, of all the Adobe editors, Dreamweaver does not have this capability. It's a pretty basic and common feature across IDEs and editors.

Interesting and curious ...