6 Replies Latest reply: Oct 17, 2011 7:45 PM by aosis404 RSS

FL Viewer available for Japan handsets?

asmilie2b3
      Hello to the forum.

I'm trying to find out if Adobe releases the Flash Lite viewer for Japan handsets (that don't have it pre installed). I need to get a Nokia S series phone able to view FL 2.0 content for testing. However there is no listing of the viewer in the adobe.co.jp website, or in their store. When I try to purchase form the US site, it is geographically specific and will not accept my purchase details!!
        • 1. Re: FL Viewer available for Japan handsets?
          imodejon Community Member
          Hello,
          If you are not in japan, you will not be able to buy the FL2 sis app. As for Japan, there are a few other phones by KDDI AU that can view flashlite 2.0. The only way that you can do this is by going to usa to purchase this player or contact adobe japan directly. But do be careful, if your carrier is Vodafone or Softbank Japan, even if you purchase the Flash lite 2.0 sis app it will NOT let you install it on the phone. you will need to take apart the sis file and re-code the sis file and then install it again. There arent many people that can do this (i dont know either). There are not that many Nokia users here in Japan and recommend you stick to the Japanese phones in Japan.
          I hope that this has helped you in some way.
          • 2. Re: FL Viewer available for Japan handsets?
            asmilie2b3 Community Member
            imodejon,

Thank yo uvery much for the reply and info. It confirms my suspicions.
            I am in Japan, and using a Nokia phone personally, but also have a Sharp (Vodafone model) which I use to test. For the Nokia I managed through an affiliate firm in Australia to purchase an FL 2.0 viewer for Symbian OS, and I did need to UnSIS it to install on the phone. However after install when it loads I receive an incorrect license message, even though the phone code I sent them was ok. Something intentially stopping it? I don't know.
            Since then though I saw that Adobe will be releasing 2.0 viewer free in early december. So maybe issue solved then.

cheers
            Bruce
            • 3. Re: FL Viewer available for Japan handsets?
              imodejon Community Member
              My apologies for the later reply.
              It seems that the Asian (including Australia) Nokias are restricted to only accept nokia-approved phones. I also have the Softbank and AU phone that accepts FL2, but ONLY actionscript 1.0. Adobe hyped up the AS2, but i didnt get hyped up when i tested this.
              I find it much easier to export Flash Version 5, 6, 7 than with FL2. And there are some functions that are still not able to view on the phones. 4-way navigation is only allowed with Softbank phones when Softbank is screwing things up with the users and this carrier has the least members of users in Japan. It seems that there must be some guidelines to which codes are incompatible for certain phones and carriers. but there are none.
              It is best to wait, i think, until the phones are pre-installed on the phones.
              I dont know about you, but i need some explanations here on what FL2 can actually do. The only way that it seems that we can find out is by testing all of the FL2 compatible phones using different versions of flash.
              Well, at least flash got better on the phones...
              • 4. FL Viewer available for Japan handsets?
                asmilie2b3 Community Member
                imodejon

Not a problem at all on the late reply, and thanks for it. Good to have someone to bounce this off.

I was a bit lost on your point:

> It seems that the Asian (including Australia) Nokias are restricted to only
                > accept nokia-approved phones.

I assume you mean that there is a restriction on the FL viewer, in terms of Asia. It certainly does feel that way, but nothing solid to back it up.

Anyway, I have progressed from getting it to work on Nokia. Developing an app in FL 2.0 for Japan market and testing only on a Nokia would be silly. So with our currently alpha/prototype I did some checking on FL 2.0 enabled devices. Just as a reference of info below is a list I accumulated from searching online of devices in Japan supporting FL 2.0.
                What you mentioned though imodejon concerns me with regards to the supported functions. Especially the 4 button support. For our up we plan to use at least the up and down buttons. Would you know if they are supported on AU and Docomo devices?

Here is the list of phones that support FL 2.0 in Japan
                >>
                >> W45T、W43CA、W43H、W43S、W43K、W42SA
                >> 810SH、811SH、910SH、810T、811T、910T
                >> Nokia 6260, 6620, 6630, 6670, 6680, 6681, 6682, N70, N90

> It seems that there must be some guidelines to which codes are incompatible
                > for certain phones and carriers. but there are none.
                > It is best to wait, i think, until the phones are pre-installed on the phones.

This is exactly the standpoint we are at. We might be able to make our "viewer" app in FL 1.1 but it seems it will be many times extra work, and then it would need to be built ground up for 2.0. When will 2.0 become standard pre-install in Japan, after Adobe releases 2.0 free to developers OEM pricing be changed? It's a waiting game...

Also, we need actionscript 2.0 for the "viewer" application we plan. If you are correct that actionscript 2.0 is not supported well, that is bad news. Is that only in the AU and Softbank models you have, or do you think that is accross the board in all Softbank and AU models with FL 2.0 in Japan?

> I dont know about you, but i need some explanations here on what FL2
                > can actually do. The only way that it seems that we can find out is by testing
                > all of the FL2 compatible phones using different versions of flash.

I hear you, I also would love to have a resource on FL2 support in Japan. Even just to know what version of Flash is supported when the carriers print a catalogue. All they say is "Flash Player". All are the same. Is it 1.0, 1.1 or 2.0? No mention. Really it is frustrating, as going around to all the carrier shops as I have asking the staff if I could try a phone to see if my app works, none of the staff of course know what Flash Player is. When I ask them what version it is, I either get a blank look and don't other me, or if I find a nice person they will go out back and bring me a piece of paper with handwritten notes which they obviously had to call the tech center for considering the many minutes they were gone.
                Unless flash becomes less transparent to the user, or some other reason it may be a while to see the information on a regular updated bases ....

Bruce

• 5. Re: FL Viewer available for Japan handsets?
                  celinam Community Member

it worked for our handset from JP

• 6. Re: FL Viewer available for Japan handsets?
                    aosis404 Community Member

Hello,

If you are not in japan, you will not be able to buy the FL2 sis app. As for Japan, there are a few other phones by KDDI AU that can view flashlite 2.0. The only way that you can do this is by going to usa to purchase this player or contact adobe japan directly. But do be careful, if your carrier is Vodafone or Softbank Japan, even if you purchase the Flash lite 2.0 sis app it will NOT let you install it on the phone. you will need to take apart the sis file and re-code the sis file and then install it again. There arent many people that can do this (i dont know either). There are not that many Nokia users here in Japan and recommend you stick to the Japanese phones in Japan.

I hope that this has helped you in some way.