• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Select multiple separate lines in Indesign

New Here ,
Aug 24, 2012 Aug 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to know how to select multiple separate lines of text? For example, selecting the a few words of the first and last line of a paragraph and applying a style? I am trying to apply the same function as cmd+mouse would do in Microsoft Office WORD. Thank you for your help!!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No InDesign does not allow non-contigious text selections.

You can apply the paragraph style to first pararaph.

Then use the Eye Dropper tool http://help.adobe.com/en_US/indesign/cs/using/WSa285fff53dea4f8617383751001ea8cb3f-6e68a.html

to apply the same formatting to different text.

If you double click the Eye Dropper tool you will get options on exactly what can and can't be sampled.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much for your help!

I have been using the eye drop tool but was trying to find if there was actually a another way of doing the multiple selection of text.

Cheers,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

InDesign's nested line style feature can apply character styles to designated lines within a paragraph. So you could specify a character style to automatically apply to the first line of any paragraph. However, because there's no option to specify the last line, you'd need to create paragraph styles with line styles that apply the character style None to a number of lines after the first, then repeat the line style. In other words, you'd need one paragraph with a line style for two-line, three-line, four-line, etc. paragraphs.

If your text doesn't reflow often, you could define a nested style that applies a character style up to an End Nested Style character that you insert manually at the end of the first line, and at the end of the line before the last line, and define the character style to run up to the first End Nested Style character, then None up to the next (last) End Nested Style character, then apply the desired last-line character style through the end of the paragraph.

Search Google for terms like "InDesign end nested style line style" and similar terms without quotes for more info.

HTH

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

AaJose wrote:

I would like to know how to select multiple separate lines of text? For example, selecting the a few words of the first and last line of a paragraph and applying a style? I am trying to apply the same function as cmd+mouse would do in Microsoft Office WORD. Thank you for your help!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines