25 Replies Latest reply: Sep 1, 2012 7:23 AM by MurraySummers RSS

Dreamweaver files upload with zero filesize

djw153

Hi,

I have created a site using Dreamweaver CS6 and have come to upload it. I entered the FTP details and set it going. (Incidentally, is there a way you can get only files that are actually used in the site to upload, rather than everything you have in the site folder?) However, it seemed to be going very slowly, so I switched over to FileZilla, which I have previously found to be quite quick. Here, the connection appears to timeout so the upload is attempted repeatedly, and when it gives up retrying the selected file shows on the server but with a file size of 0.

Several emails to the hosting company, and a bit of trial-and-error later, it seems that it is only files that come under the umbrella of this Dreamweaver site which will not upload properly. If I select a random file from my desktop, it will upload to the same server, indicating there is nothing wrong with my username/password, ports etc.

Why would it be that only my Dreamweaver files will not upload? It is not limited to html files. jpg files won't upload either. Even jpg's which are not linked to but still in the site folder will not upload!

Any insight would be greatly appreciated, as I would like to put this project to bed!

Many thanks,

David

• 1. Re: Dreamweaver files upload with zero filesize
          cs6_noob

Until one of the experts comes along, is it set to 'passive' upload in the server settings? I used to have problems with upload til i changed that.

• 2. Re: Dreamweaver files upload with zero filesize
            MurraySummers CommunityMVP

Incidentally, is there a way you can get only files that are actually used in the site to upload, rather than everything you have in the site folder?

Select all of the files that are part of the site, and upload them with dependent files enabled.  Tricks like this are one of the reasons that I always name my files in a given site with a prefix, e.g.,

a_filename.php, a_filename2.php, etc.

That way, they all sort as a block of files, making it easy to select and upload.

A file size of zero is often encountered on free hosting sites when you have exceeded your storage allocation.  Might that be the case here?

Passive/active FTP would have nothing to do with this.

• 3. Re: Dreamweaver files upload with zero filesize
              djw153 Community Member

A file size of zero is often encountered on free hosting sites when you have exceeded your storage allocation.  Might that be the case here?

In short, no. It's on a (new for this job) paid host, with nothing else on the server. Files outside of this DW site upload fine; the test file I keep using is a jpg approx 1.5MB.

• 4. Re: Dreamweaver files upload with zero filesize

Let me review the facts. 

Can you upload these files to this site with DW (albeit slowly)?

Can you upload files to other sites with DW and if so, is the result different?

FileZilla is not able to upload any files that come from DW at all?

If you put an external file that you *can* upload with FileZilla into a DW site, can you then upload it with DW?  Or with FileZilla?

• 5. Re: Dreamweaver files upload with zero filesize
                  Nancy O. CommunityMVP

If you can't upload with Filezilla then something else is going on. 

Are you working within a defined site in DW?

Do the site files reside on your local hard drive or an external drive?

Which operating system do you use?

Nancy O.

• 6. Re: Dreamweaver files upload with zero filesize
                    djw153 Community Member

Can you upload these files to this site with DW (albeit slowly)?

No. With DW or FZ, to this server, the result is the same. DW just sits there saying 0 of 1 completed (or words to that effect) (since I established this is faulty I've only being trying single files, not the whole site.)

Can you upload files to other sites with DW and if so, is the result different?

Yes. If I enter details for another server DW and FZ will upload this site's files with no issue whatsoever.

FileZilla is not able to upload any files that come from DW at all?

No. FZ will upload this site's files created in DW to the second server.

If you put an external file that you *can* upload with FileZilla into a DW site, can you then upload it with DW?  Or with FileZilla?

I copied index.html from the site folder onto the desktop, FZ still didn't want to know. I copied the random photo.jpg into the site folder, and that stopped uploading too. However, now whether from the desktop or the site folder, this jpg (and also another, which happened to be sat next to it on the desktop) now stop uploading at 262,144 bytes. Obviously the html files are much smaller at around 7-10kB so it can't be a max file size thing, and anyway a 1.5MB jpg was no problem yesterday.

Are you working within a defined site in DW?

Yes.

Do the site files reside on your local hard drive or an external drive?

Local hard drive.

Which operating system do you use?

Yesterday, Mac OS X 10.7; today 10.8.

• 7. Re: Dreamweaver files upload with zero filesize
                      djw153 Community Member

I've been investigating this further this afternoon. My findings are as follows:

Nothing will upload to this hosting company's servers, whether it be DW files, or random jpg's from my desktop. I have several accounts with this company, all of which I have had no issue with in the past, using this computer but from another network. All of the accounts I have at this company are displaying this behaviour currently. I can log in and see the directory listing, can delete files, create folders etc, but cannot upload. None of the accounts are over their quota for data transfer, storage etc.

I run another site for a different client, who arranges his own hosting. I can connect to his server, and upload these DW files or anything I like with no issue at all.

My father operates his website from his computer (naturally) and using the same internet connection as I am currently. His site is also hosted with the same company. Using FZ on his computer, I get the exact same situation, even using his login, which has previously worked fine. Using any of my logins results in zero uploads. His computer will also connect to my other client's server and upload with no issue.

This leaves me thinking that our IP has been blocked by this company. The support chap I have been emailing can login using the same credentials as me, and can add files to the server just fine.

Would you agree with my conclusion here? Or do you think something different?

• 8. Re: Dreamweaver files upload with zero filesize

Sounds like you have done some good detective work.  The problem now is - you are able to connect, but not to upload.  So it doesn't sound like they have blocked your IP, right?

• 9. Re: Dreamweaver files upload with zero filesize
                          djw153 Community Member

No, I guess you're right.

It's just odd, I've used them before, and haven't changed anything in the meantime! I know I upgraded my OS yesterday, but I don't think that's the issue. FWIW my dad's computer is running 10.6.

• 10. Re: Dreamweaver files upload with zero filesize
                            cs6_noob Community Member

To test your theory, can't you upload through a proxy?

• 11. Re: Dreamweaver files upload with zero filesize
                              djw153 Community Member

To test your theory, can't you upload through a proxy?

You may have to elaborate...

• 12. Re: Dreamweaver files upload with zero filesize

If you think your IP has been blocked, then going through a proxy server should get round this. Whether you can upload through a proxy, i don't know for sure.

• 13. Re: Dreamweaver files upload with zero filesize
                                  djw153 Community Member

I've just had it confirmed to me by their support that my IP has not been blocked. To quote their email: "...any block that we'd apply would stop you connecting all together."

• 14. Re: Dreamweaver files upload with zero filesize

Don't suppose you're on wireless and can try a neighbours connection?

• 15. Re: Dreamweaver files upload with zero filesize
                                      Jon Fritz II CommunityMVP

Is the computer you are having issues with hard wired to the internet, or are you connecting wirelessly?

I had some issues similar to this with an old Netgear wireless router. I could connect and modify files, but when I attempted to upload anything, the process got hosed. When I connected the computer to the modem directly everything cleared up. I replaced the router and everything was fine from then on. I then conducted a little "Office Space" style therapy with a hammer on the old router.

• 16. Re: Dreamweaver files upload with zero filesize
                                        djw153 Community Member

I have my wireless switched on, and I also have an ethernet cable plugged in the back of the machine. Which one is actually providing the internet I'm not 100%. All my neighbours networks are locked - they're a savvy bunch! I shall try switching wireless off and see if that helps. However, when I've connected successfully in the past that has been wireless.

I'm off to my girlfriend's now, I shall try her connection while I'm there!

I shall keep you posted!

• 17. Re: Dreamweaver files upload with zero filesize

Are you running a local firewall?

• 18. Re: Dreamweaver files upload with zero filesize

Make sure to plug directly into the modem so you can bypass the router and rule it out completely.

• 19. Re: Dreamweaver files upload with zero filesize
                                              djw153 Community Member

Are you running a local firewall?

Not so far as I know, no.

Make sure to plug directly into the modem so you can bypass the router and rule it out completely.

I've a feeling the modem and router are the same box in our setup.

In other news, I have just run FZ on my girlfriend's laptop, and the entire site has been uploaded without a hitch, straight off, no problem whatsoever. So the problem lies somewhere on our computers, or on the network.

• 20. Re: Dreamweaver files upload with zero filesize

I'd be checking your router firewall settings, although you'd think it would stop all ftp action regardless of site, unless they're hosted on a different server and the router is blocking ftp connections to that somehow

• 21. Re: Dreamweaver files upload with zero filesize
                                                  djw153 Community Member

Right, I've been through most of what you guys have said.

I've switched wireless off and used just the wired connection, and vice versa, and neither confirguration will yield a result on the server in question; both will upload fine on the other client's server.

There are no other open wireless networks in range that I can connect to, however, I have pushed my iPhone's internet out over wifi and connected to that on the computer. Guess what? I can connect to either server and upload whatever I wish. So the problem is our network it would seem.

I should explain that the line goes into the router/modem, and several computers are connected via ethernet. Another of the ethernet connections goes into an Airport Express; therefore our wireless is simply an extension of our wired connection.

I have logged into the router, and there is nothing set in the firewall; all outgoing traffic is allowed and all incoming is blocked. I can see nothing elsewhere that would suggest this one particular server has been blocked, although I should say networks are not my forte.

So I'm our of ideas again. Is it possible that the ISP has blocked connections to this company's servers? And therefore would override our firewall settings further down the line. I'm dubious of this, though, as both my dad and I get our email through this hosting company and have never had any issue in connecting to those servers.

• 22. Re: Dreamweaver files upload with zero filesize

What is your FTP Log saying about this whole situation?

In Site > Advanced > FTP Log

• 23. Re: Dreamweaver files upload with zero filesize

Ok, try unplugging everything from the router except for the pc you're trying to upload from. Can even switch cable to another ethernet port as a "I dont know why, but might aswell try it" sort of thing. It should assign a different ip address, but not sure what else it will do.........

Then i guess it's some long winded calls to your isp and server host to work out what's going on, as one of them must be blocking something.

• 24. Re: Dreamweaver files upload with zero filesize
                                                        djw153 Community Member

Then i guess it's some long winded calls to your isp and server host to work out what's going on, as one of them must be blocking something.

Well, we made the calls, and unsurprisingly neither could find a fault at their end, nor did they have much clue on how to rememdy the situation.

I googled my symptoms and found another forum where somebody had almost the identical problem, just using a different host and ISP. The solution that worked for them was doing a factory restore on their router. So I did the same. Initially it didn't work, but after a couple of resets it worked! At worst, this solution has only been intermittent - all of a sudden uploads will fail again, but another reset gets them on their way again - at best the uploads are fast and as they should be. But at least I've made it work

Should I be chucking out the router and looking for a new one, do you think?

Thanks to all who have replied for all your help and suggestions in trying to get this to work, it's appreciated.

• 25. Re: Dreamweaver files upload with zero filesize

Should I be chucking out the router and looking for a new one, do you think?

Dare I say "BINGO"?