• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why does Flash have such frequent updates?

Aug 22, 2012 Aug 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm a tech at a high school, and we reload the computers every summer (over 200).  It is extremely frustrating that the computer image we setup less than 2 months ago and reloaded these computers with, had the latest version of Flash at that time. Now we are starting to hear from staff, that they are seeing messages that they need to update the Flash version. 

What is SO critically important about having the bleeding edge version of Flash on the computer?  Is there really that much difference betweeen version 11.3.300.271 and 11.4.402.265, that a website would require this minor update to play their content? 

Think about the different browsers. You typically don't see any message referencing "Your browser needs to be updated", until you are more than two full versions behind the current. Even then, the browser will still work, and you usually receive a message that you might experience less than full functionality without a browser upgrade.

I just thought of a revolutionary idea!  Maybe Adobe could write Flash in such a way, that an ever-so-slightly less than the absolute most current version would still work on a website that otherwise would hassle you with the unbending requirement to have the absolute bleeding edge version.  ESPECIALLY, since Adobe seems to release a new update about every 3.300271 days. 

Hey Adobe, are you listening?  I find it almost impossible to believe that I would be the only one to be so frustrated by this hyper-obsolescence.

I do thank you for the opportunity to share my frustration, and that you might actually consider the suggestions, but I'm finding it hard to be thankful for much else about this.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not about whether a browser renders the page. It's nothing to do with obsolescence. The frequent updates aren't for functionality, they are for security.

It's similar to the Windows security updates which are at least monthly, and more frequent for critical issues. Many of these are internet explorer updates. Don't confuse the little updates with the big version upgrades (e.g. IE8 to IE9). Other browsers too have frequent security updates.

So, as a tech you should indeed be trackng every tiny update as rapidly as possible, to avoid exposure to malicious attacks, which are often barely days behind the fix.

(Not an Adobe reply. You might consider posting Flash questions in the forums for Flash, rather than Acrobat.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By the way... if you aren't equipped to deal with these frequent updates, you should be considering allowing Flash to auto-update. This new-ish feature I found most welcome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 23, 2012 Aug 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One more note. As an manager of multiple systems perhaps you are already using enterprise deployment tools to manage updates etc. If so, you may be able to integrate Flash into these tools so you can maintain the same level of preparedness against threats. http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flashplayer/enterprise_deployment.html

On the other hand you might take the view that the greatest threat to the security of computers in a school comes from those who sit at them... depends whether these are student-side or back office.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 24, 2012 Aug 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FlashReaderIsFrustrating wrote:

What is SO critically important about having the bleeding edge version of Flash on the computer? 

Help yourself > http://www.adobe.com/support/security/bulletins/apsb12-19.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 12, 2013 Feb 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FlashreaderisFrustrating is right.  I have many machines where I have to update them all the time.  Automatic updates are not a solution since any update to a machine is a risk and can change its behaviour.  (All of a sudden a flash that worked now fails.  How can you back out of an automatic update and don't even know if it happened.  Adobe needs to stop and fix the software correctly and securly and provide updates (i.e.  quarterly).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 12, 2013 Feb 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I assume that you also do not apply the monthly Microsoft Security Updates?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines