15 Replies Latest reply: Aug 26, 2012 7:03 PM by Tom Adobe RSS

After testing... don't use it...

Tom Adobe Community Member

My opinion after a long testing on Mac OS X,  Dreamweaver FTP for CS5, CS5.5 and CS6 (with 12.01.5842 update), don't use it, is very slow, replace it with Fetch for that task. And the algorithm of find and replace of all this versions of Dreamweaver are not reliable and make errors when need to replace code, don't use it, replace it with BBEdit.

Please, let me know if other users have the same problem.

Seems to be the Adobe's Team can't fix this essential tools.

Thanks.

Tom

• 1. Re: After testing... don't use it...
          MurraySummers ACP/MVPs

Show us examples of errors made in Find and Replace please.  It's not nice to make such bald-faced assertions without substantiation.  I have been using DW since DW2 (not DW CS2 which never existed) and have never seen a mistake made in Find and Replace that couldn't be ascribed to operator error.

• 2. Re: After testing... don't use it...
            Jon Fritz II MVP

<makingapoint>The Mac OS has problems, don't use it, you should switch to Linux.</makingapoint>

It's kind of silly to post things like that without adding all the the pertinent information about the actual problems and all of the attempted solutions you've tried. I'm not saying DW can't or doesn't have bugs, I am saying many issues can be attributed to corrupt files, bad installs and/or user errors and without the above mentioned information, your statement "don't use it, replace it..." lacks credibility (even if you are Mr. Adobe as you user name suggests).

• 3. Re: After testing... don't use it...

Mr. Adobe Jon Fritz, your comment is silly. Don't see the comparision in my comment? It's Dreamweaver FTP versus FETCH and replace/Find of Dreamweaver versus BBEdit Find/Replace. After testing is better to work like that and I give my opinion... that's it. For example, in a replace in the entire site, DW don't replace correctly and BBEdit do it OK. And for Mr. Murray, the Find/Replace is not good on DW compare to BBEDit and don't work properly like BBEDit, I don't have the same result.

• 4. Re: After testing... don't use it...
                John Waller MVP

Tom Adobe wrote:
                the Find/Replace is not good on DW compare to BBEDit and don't work properly like BBEDit, I don't have the same result.

Thanks for reporting this.

Can you provide us with a reproducible example - exact steps are usually best - where we can all clearly see that DW's Find & Replace does not work properly? If we all follow the same steps then we should all get the same result.

Then we can report it to Adobe and they will fix it.

• 5. Re: After testing... don't use it...

Hi John

Yesterday I was working on a site and add a snippet to all pages. Try with Dreamweaver Find/Replace with Entire Current Local Site option. There was some pages that DW omit in the process, this don't ocurrs with BBEdit. Give me time, I'll prepare an example. But keep in mind that I don't trust on DW with Find/Replace, specially with Entire Current Local Site option. Don't test regular expressions option yet.

• 6. Re: After testing... don't use it...
                    John Waller MVP

Tom Adobe wrote:

Yesterday I was working on a site and add a snippet to all pages. Try with Dreamweaver Find/Replace with Entire Current Local Site option. There was some pages that DW omit in the process,

Which pages? How many? Was there anything different about those pages?

• 7. Re: After testing... don't use it...

Hi John

Keep in mind that I have tons of webpages in this site to check all sucessfully to get a conclusion of the quality of Dreamweaver Find/Replace algorythm but here is one example. You need my site to reproduce the issue in your computer and can't upload it for obvious reasons.

DW fails to change this on some pages:

Find: <script src="../../scripts/jquery/js/AccordionSet.js"></script> - Replace: <script src="../../scripts/jquery/js/AccordionSet.js"></script><script src="../../../scripts/up.js"></script>.

For better readable design it have the same spaces in all pages not included in this post. This block of code are a part or other that was replace it before, that means all the block are uniform and there is no reason to omit this webpage in the find/replace process.

DW and MAMP PRO are configured correctly

When find more I'll notice to you.

Regards,

Tom

• 8. Re: After testing... don't use it...
                        MurraySummers ACP/MVPs

Make a test page with that code on it.  Try your Find on that page.  Does DW miss it?  Does DW miss it every time on your real page or only some of the times?

Honestly, in the ~13 years I have been using DW, I've never seen it miss something like this.

• 9. Re: After testing... don't use it...

Mr. Murray... 13 years? you know that are problems with Find/replace here

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1009071

I'm not the only user that don't trust on this feature.

• 10. Re: After testing... don't use it...
                            MurraySummers ACP/MVPs

Yes, 13 years.  The thread you linked has nothing to do with the symptoms you have described.

• 11. Re: After testing... don't use it...
                              Nancy O. MVP

The only reported problem with Find/Replace in CS6 that I'm aware of is with "selected text."  All other Find/Replace features work fine for me. 

Nancy O.

• 12. Re: After testing... don't use it...
                                Al Sparber Community Member

Just to add, the FTP in the last few versions of Dreamweaver, including

CS6, is very good - and extremely convenient. It's never going to have

the full feature set of a dedicated FTP client, but a dedicated FTP

client is never going to have the Dreamweaver-centric features included

in Dreamweaver's FTP implementation. The key to using it efficiently is

to ensure you always have a 1:1 relationship between the local

Dreamweaver defined site and the server. If you ever want to keep

multiple sites within a "master" local site, that is also possible with

a bit of logical thinking. Simply make a duplicate of your master local

site, with its root being a sub-folder of the master. Then in your Site

Manager, set the server path to the same sub-folder. Trust me, for

day-to-day file and folder management, Dreamweaver's FTP can be far more

useful and efficient than any third-party tool.

I use Filezilla - but only when I need to access parts of my server

above the web root for secure management of database and backend systems.

--

Al Sparber - PVII

http://www.projectseven.com

The Finest Dreamweaver Menus | Galleries | Widgets

Since 1998

• 13. Re: After testing... don't use it...

Thank you for your reply, Al Sparber. I'll try your advice on CS6, but if you are on a mac, try Fetch (fetchsoftworks.com) it's amazing faster than Dreamweaver FTP "tortoise". Working with a lot of sites, the workflow of using DW FTP is for me a pain and I don't use it anymore on DW before CS6 (don't try deeply on CS6 but some speed testing I do are not attractive). Did you test the speed of Fetch versus DW FTP? In my opinion, Fetch defeat DW FTP and is my choice because is faster. Ok, need to do it manually with Fetch, but for me, speed is the most important requirement on this workflow.

• 14. Re: After testing... don't use it...
                                    MurraySummers ACP/MVPs

Sometimes, function is much more important than speed, particularly now that DW's FTP is multithreaded.  But suit yourself....

• 15. Re: After testing... don't use it...

Ok, Murray, let me give you my experience and opinion of disadvantage and advantage of using DW.

Advantages: First, DW have GUI to help on writing code and make my life more easy. Linking things, applying styles and all the GUI are a paradise and is very fast. Obviously the "soul" of DW to update any link when something changes or move a file to another directory and other features, etc. etc. etc. makes this application irreplaceable to work on sites, specially, when you work on a lot of site like me.

Disadvantages: Like links on a chain, if only one chain link breaks, entire chain serves no more. This analogy can be apply to a workflow but in a partial way because can replace the "break link" with third-party stuff. There're two essential weak points for me on DW the FTP that multithreaded don't increase the speed optimally (keep in mind that I run DW on a high end Mac Pro with 32 GB of RAM on 64 bit mode) and the reason why I named DW FTP "tortoise" in comparision with Fetch application, this one is a "hare". The other point, VERY ANNOYING for me on CS6 and predecessors is the 15 to 20 seconds of WASTE TIME, ALWAYS to open the first file, for this reason, when working with a lot of files open, is faster to close one by one 20 files except ONE than close everything with a click and try to open the first file again because appears the multicolor circle and need to wait again... It's faster to switch to another site than waiting to open the first file and this was tested with a fresh installed Mac OS X on DW CS6 and using Mamp Pro (configuration correctly and Discover Dynamically-Related files automatically features is not an speed delay). I resolve this to switch from DW to BBEdit for non-needed GUI updates on the site using to open it a BBEdit project, and beleive me... again like Aesop's fable of the hare and the tortoise but in INVERSE mode... the "hare" BBEdit won the race in this case. My intention is to use DW only but in "hare mode"... not the "tortoise" that is by defaut and Adobe doesn't fix it. Can be fix the waste time of the first file when is open it?