• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Existing type layer replaced by text with other type layer's text upon changing text properties

New Here ,
Jun 06, 2012 Jun 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, this is weird.

I have a type layer with some text in it (a headline, let's say). I click on the layer, I click on the Character Panel, and first thing I see is the color in the Panel is not the color of the font in the layer.

I then click on any Panel property, and the text in this layer is replaced by text from another layer in my document ( a paragraph layer, let's say), but the color is not the same as the layer the text came from.

Seems like a glitch, but I don't know how else to diagnose it.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
replies 124 Replies 124
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version of photoshop and operating system?

A screenshot might help us better understand what's happening.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

- Having the same problems, Looks like there might have been the same problems or similar in the "Beta Version of CS6" and the problem has been carried over to the Release Version.

- Certainly makes it very hard to work / productivity goes out the window

- Just like the Beta once it appears in CS6 and you try opening it in CS5 it carries the problem across

Using - CS6 Extended (Mac)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 07, 2012 Jun 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is PS from CS6 on Windows 7.

There's not much to show, but it's the act of editing a text layer property which causes the switch.  It's intermittent.

It seems like this is not an entirely unknown issue, but it is a bug.

type-error.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Added to this issue: I just changed my document's image size (Image > Image Size...) and upon refresh almost all my type layers reverted to some other ttpe layers text!

Now that's a bug!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

- Can someone give us an idea (ball park) of when this might be rectified (e.g. it might not be until our next dot release) or are we better of using CS5 if we are plannig using text layers in photoshop

Ta

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 13, 2012 Jun 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By the way, one interesting thing I see that prompts a question: Up to now I had thought that the problem had been reported only by people saving PSD files from Macs, yet I see in the screen grabs shown that D.Estabrook is on a PC...  Was a Mac ever involved in editing that PSD file, D.Estabrook?

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My file has only been edited on my workstation (I'm on Win7 x64 as noted above). One other factor that may relate the two platforms: Suitcase Fusion font manager. Perhaps something related to font activation for Adobe Suite applications? I run Suitcase Fusion 4 and the cartoon fonts were in temporary status, which I later set to permanent status.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has the file ever gone back and forth between CS5 and CS6?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think so before the text layer problem cropped up. I'm editing the file now in CS5, but I've been working almost exclusively with PS CS6 since I installed the public preview. I can't be certain, however.

The Suitcase Fusion update says that PS CS6 doesn't allow automatic font activation - as opposed to the rest of the Suite. The update claims CS6 compatibility with this update, with PS CS6 auto font activation in a future revision.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've see it on my setup without Suitcase.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BJN3,

When you said you're "editing the file now in CS5", are you saying you took a file that was failing in CS6, and opened it in CS5 and not seeing the problem?

With regard to resizing (and related to the question I just asked), let me comment a bit on what people are seeing.

When you open a PSD with text layers, the file contains rasterized versions of the text layers, and that's what you see; you're not seeing the "actual" text, you're seeing a raster image of the text. Until something triggers a re-rasterization of a text layer, that will remain unchanged.

When you click the text to edit a text layer, or you resize the document, the text layer must be re-rasterized, and that's when the bogus text will appear. In all liklihood, the text within the text layer was corrupt in the file when you opened it, but you don't see it until you perform some action that triggers a redraw. This is why Chris commented that the corruption probably occured long before you actually see the problem.

We are working to identify the cause of this problem, but at this point we cannot reproduce the steps that cause it, or know when it happens, so the more information you can provide us, the better. We apologize for this, and do want to get this resolved as quickly as possible.

Paul

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I made a duplicate file to work on in CS5 and saved the failing one in case Adobe Support wanted a copy.

The corrupted file exhibits the same buggy behavior in CS5.

To be able to work on the file, I went ahead and started editing each text layer, then I moved them around and resized them per the original layout. I haven't experienced this problem except via CS6, so I'm doing the production work in CS5 in hope that I can finish it up without a recurrence of the problem.

-BJ

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We need to get a copy of the failing file, and the older non-failing file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jun 14, 2012 Jun 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Chris,

I have earlier versions of the illustration. One has three text layers that are still behaving (58 MB). Another earlier version with six text layers (71 MB) exhibits the problem, but this file triggers this message when I open it:

Text layer update notice.jpg

If I click No, the layers look okay but they do the musical chair thing on a per-layer basis if I edit a layer. If I click Update, the file opens with all the text jumped to the next layer's location coordinates and relative font size.

The most recent (71 MB) file with the broken layer behavior doesn't trigger the above message. It opens with the text looking fine, but editing the layer shows the cross-linked layer text problem. Perhaps that message is supressed because I clicked no and resaved the file? I don't know for certain if I did that, just a guess.

I can provide any or all of the above files, let me know how you like large files delivered.

And for any of the files with the latent cross-linked layer problem, resizing the image causes the same changes to all the layers as editing them individually will.

Thanks,

BJ

PS: I can rasterize the layers with latent cross-link behavior and they rasterize as displayed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Again, we need the good (before opening in CS6) and after (corrupts when changed) files.

You can mail them to ccox (at) adobe (dot) com and I'll forward them to the type engineers.

If they're too big to email, contact me and we'll work something out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm pretty sure that my files don't have a snapshot of the magic moment. In spare moments I'm trying to capture the moment in amber, building a new file with text layers, doing what I do, and saving a new file each time I do something. No luck sighting the Textsquatch yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mostly I need the file from BEFORE you see the corruption.  Once the data is corrupt, it's too late for us to figure out how it got corrupted.

The duplicate file used in CS5 should help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 15, 2012 Jun 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm also having this problem, I have an untouched CS5 file if needed (33 MB)

Creative Cloud

iMac 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5, 12 GB RAM

OSX 10.7.4

One font with error and in use in PS document at time "Grenoble" (see screeshot below)

File being used with MediaLabs Sitegrinder 3.5.6 s_319

Screen Shot 2012-06-15 at 10.37.03 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure, send it my way. (or email so we can work out how to get it to me via Dropbox, Google Drive, yousendit, etc.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok Chris, I'd need your email.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See post #23.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sending now via largefilesasap.com

I'm off to the bar to cure my very frustrated brain

Till then I'm back to using CS5

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wish a bar could cure all the problems I'm tracking...

But it does sound like it might at least help on a Friday afternoon.

Thanks for the files!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The file was always on a PC and always in CS6.

-Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines