• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't open pdf files posted in Facebook

Community Beginner ,
Aug 27, 2012 Aug 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Instead of getting a dialogue box with the option to save the file I get redirected to a blank page. https://attachment.fbsbx.com/file_download.php?id=392022847530027&uid=1283073931&ext=1346122360&hash...

I have updated Adobe reader and Firefox. I have also tried disabling my anti virus, pop up blocker and firewall with no luck. This happens with both my PC (Windows Vista) and Mac. I have tried 3 different browsers as well.  I haven't had problems opening pdf files from other sites and other members of my FB group have been able to open the files successfully. Please help.

TOPICS
General troubleshooting , View PDF

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The easiest to handle problems with online PDF files is to right-click on the link, then select Save Target As / Save Link As.

P.S. I didn't know that people can now upload PDF files to Facebook.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That doesn't work either. It will save an empty file. Capture.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 28, 2012 Aug 28, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It appears that you are not being given a direct link to download the pdf file, but the site is running a script (.php) to handle downloading the file in question. When this happens there is no interaction from Reader until the script properly runs. Since there is no file you can download yet, saving as target will not work. The script has to run to provide you with the download. Are you running any extension that prevents the running of scripts? What happens if you try Safari or Internet Explorer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I get the same problem with Safari and IE.  I have tied on 3 different computers in my house (2 PC, 1 Mac) and get the same problem. i even tried on my work computer and couldn't open the files.

How do I determine if I am running an etension that prevents running of scripts?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It isn't just pdf files. I am also unable to open word and excel files that have been uploaded to my Facebook group.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will try to upload a PDF to FB, then do some testing.  But from your last statement it does not seem to be a Reader problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like it is as difficult to upload documents to FB as it is for you to download them; I have given up...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 29, 2012 Aug 29, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So it's not just me then.  I tried to open files using my work computer and had the same problems.  I just can't figure out how others in the group are able to open the files.  I think I'm giving up too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I would ask the FB page owners how to open the PDF and other files.  Just post your question on the page.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for trying to help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would have a look around at http://www.facebook.com/help/ for answers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines