• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign CS6 crashing and losing preferences

Community Beginner ,
Jul 10, 2012 Jul 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had some terrible crashing in InDesign CS6 (and Acrobat). At least 2-3 times per day. When InDesign crashes, I lose my preferences and some of my workspace settings. Any fix for this?

Any fix for the crashing? It's inconsistent on when it crashes (saving, exporting, etc) and I've re-loaded the entire suite again. I'm running OSX Lion...

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 10, 2012 Jul 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps you are also being hit by this: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4548354

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 18, 2012 Jul 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I followed along with the disscussion on InDesign crashing. Seems most of the these were laptop and Air issues. One of the preference files helped me with my crashing issue.

However, every now & then I still crash because of my error. The problem is, regardless of why the program crashes, each time it does, I totally lose my preferences. My workspaces stay intact, however some of the palette settings go to deafult (fonts, colors, etc).

I have probably reset my preferences over 50 times since I've had the program and I'm ready to pull my hair out! Any solution for this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 18, 2012 Jul 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should try to figure out WHY your prefs keep going south. That's not normal.

And in the meantime, after you get things set up, make a bhackup copy of the prefs files and store it someplace safe so you can relaod them easily. See Replace Your Preferences

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 19, 2012 Jul 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

That's why I'm asking on this forum. I have no idea WHY this is happening with the prefs.

RE: Troubleshooting:

• I can't find this folder to replace the prefs either (stops at cache - there's no InDesign stuff in the Cache folder):

Hard Drive/Users/<USER>/Library/Caches/Adobe InDesign/<Version #>/<Language>

• I've done "Cmd + Ctrl + Opt + Shift (Mac)" several times, nothing changes, still resetting prefs, still losing them on crashes.
  • I've even competely uninstalled and re-installed the entire Adobe package.

Stephanie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Most of the stuff that you are losing is stored in the InDesign Defaults file, not the SavedData file (that one saves the open recent list and the last state of a lot of stuff, but not the basic options you set in the prefs, or your document and print presets, which ARE saved in inDesign Defaults), so if that's the only one you can find, you'll at least get most things, and letting ID rewrite SavedData on close is not a big deal.

That said, I wish I could tell you why you aren't seeing any InDesign stuff in youtr cache, but I can't, and I'm a Windows user so not as up on Mac idiosyncracies as I probably should be.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And the next time you get a crash, please post it on pastebin.com and put a link to it here. Maybe we can figure out what the cause of the crash is.

With absolutely no information toi go on I'll go out on a limb and suggest it very well could be font related. It won't hurt to run a font utility to look for damaged fonts, nor will it hurt to clear the font caches. Do you run a font manager?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Peter,

I don't have anything for fonts besides FontBook. Where do I find the font caches?

I'll post my next crash for you when it happens...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 23, 2012 Jul 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's one for Acrobat that keeps occurring... crashes on opening every time.

http://pastebin.com/PNGyiRmA

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 23, 2012 Jul 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 25, 2012 Jul 25, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Although I have no answer as to why your ID keeps crashing, you can do this to restore your settings.

Frist try resetting your preference as you did by restarting ID, then set your preferences again, then quit ID.

Then go to the below directories and make a copy of the file "InDesign SavedData" and store it somewhere else.

Users/[user]/Library/Caches/Adobe InDesign/Version [version]/InDesign SavedData

If you happen to crash again and lose your settings, quit ID then replace the file in the above directory with your backup.

Hope that helps.

Message was edited by: j3n0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 26, 2012 Jul 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's where ID crashes whenever I try to change a color from spot to process...

http://pastebin.com/2nT7hNCj

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

j3n0 -

I've tried to find these InDesign files... I'm not seeing what everyone else is. As you can see below, there is no ID information in my cache. I even did a full computer search & nothing... there is no "InDesign SavedData"

cache.png

user.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They will be in your MacHD/Users/<yourusername>/Library/ folder but with OS10.7, the user Library folder is now a hidden folder. See here

http://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/global/access-hidden-user-library-files.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stephanie,

Google how to show hidden files on OS X...

Did you try the link I posted above for fixing a crash in 10.7.4?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter -

Yes, I just followed the link now. I haven't had the issue wth the blank dialogue boxes, it just crashes. We'll see if this works.

Also, when I google show hidden files, I get the version of instructions with the "kill all". I tried this a while back & it didn't work. The link suggested by Larry above worked perfectly (thanks Larry).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stephanie,

You need to go to the User Library, not the System, Library. To go there in Finder, press option then select "Go" menu, that will show the user Library folder and then you can to the respective folders.

For your crashing issue, always check for any updates by going to Indesign then from the Help > Updates

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 27, 2012 Jul 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I followed everyone's instructions and now on <computer and InDesign> start up I get this message. NEVER seen this before...

Quit.png

And here's the nitty-gritty:

http://pastebin.com/fMt72VaY

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A couple of things. When I asked if you had tried the work-around for crashing above you said you weren't seeing blank dialogs, but I don't know if you actually downloaded and installed the files. I'm not sure you would notice the dialogs if you have the problem - they apparently flash by very fast before the crash.

It's possible, given the new error message, that you have some corrupt data in the recovery folder and ID is now in a vicious cycle of crashing when it tries to recover the bad file. The recovery folder is also hidden, but should be in the same place you found InDesign SavedData. Please rename it to _InDesign Recovery and see if ID will start.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After the crash on start-up, I reopened and so far it's working fine.

I did all the steps yesterday for the dialogue box crash, that's why I though maybe that caused something weird when I started up this morning...

So do I still need to do the _InDesign Recovery if the program's working so far?

I'm sure you can tell... but I'm NOT an IT person what-so-ever, so I just wanted to say thanks for all your patience in helping me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it stopped crashing, I think you can leave the recovery folder alone for now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

j3n0 wrote:

Hi,

Although I have no answer as to why your ID keeps crashing, you can do this to restore your settings.

Frist try resetting your preference as you did by restarting ID, then set your preferences again, then quit ID.

Then go to the below directories and make a copy of the file "InDesign SavedData" and store it somewhere else.

Users/[user]/Library/Caches/Adobe InDesign/Version [version]/InDesign SavedData

If you happen to crash again and lose your settings, quit ID then replace the file in the above directory with your backup.

Hope that helps.

Message was edited by: j3n0

I did this yesterday and following my crash this morning, I reloaded the data file - didn't work, had to reset all my prefs again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stephanie, I think I already mentioned that the Saved Data file is only one-half of the preferences set, and not the half that holds the things you keep resetting. Complete instructions are at Replace Your Preferences

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 13, 2012 Aug 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, so I followed the instructions to a tee on the "Replace Your Preferences". This didn't work for me. I think I'm just going to give up on this & go back to CS5.5. The 6 version is the pits - I'm just wasting way too much time trouble-shooting Adobe's problems.

Thanks anyway, everyone!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines