• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How can I install a Flash update without installing McAfee?

New Here ,
Aug 28, 2012 Aug 28, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried twice to install and have cancelled both times because it seemed that McAfee was installing. I have Norton installed and am happy with it. I don't object to Adobe's encouraging the use of a competing product, but I do insist on the freedom to decline, and I didn't see a way of doing it.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Aug 28, 2012 Aug 28, 2012

Cynodontia, there is not co-relation between Flash Player and Mcafee. Once you install Flash Player, you get an additional option to install Mcafee. You can simply, uncheck that checkbox and install Flash Player without installing Mcafee.

Hope that Helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 28, 2012 Aug 28, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cynodontia, there is not co-relation between Flash Player and Mcafee. Once you install Flash Player, you get an additional option to install Mcafee. You can simply, uncheck that checkbox and install Flash Player without installing Mcafee.

Hope that Helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 03, 2012 Oct 03, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not quite right. McAfee is an  application completely unrelated to Flash and utterly unecessary for its operation, yet it is distributed with Flash Player.

Its installation is NOT optional: Installation is enabled by default. The only thing optional about it is to take a specific action and opt OUT of the installation.

I think the three questions that are properly relevant are:

Why is unrelated and unnecessary software being distributed with Flash player in the first place?

Why is its installation enabled by default?

Why is the software so awful that it has to be distributed in this way, rather than it being simply offered as a truly optional opt-IN addtion or, even better, simply offered separately on its OWN merit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 03, 2012 Oct 03, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@AnotherAGladys - The answer is simply that Adobe offsets the ongoing development costs of Flash Player, which is made available for free, by offering users the option to download software from select Adobe partners.  I understand that this is a controversial change for some users and I'll make sure to represent your concerns to our management team.

The simplest and most straight forward alternative is to uncheck the checkbox. It’s an opt out situation, not opt in and I also understand your position on that.

If a user has selected the “Allow Adobe to install updates (recommended)” update mechanism, then they will only be prompted for updates on major releases.  All zero day security updates will be installed silently, without any interaction from the user.  Also note that the user can simply decline the major update, in which case we will update Flash Player silently after 30 days.  No third party software will be involved.

Thanks,

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 04, 2012 Oct 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris.

That only answers the first of those quesitons, which is that Adobe foists this rubbish on its users because gets a kickback for every instance of the parasiteware that is installed.

You also make the obvious oint that one can take specific action to avoid the malware.

What your reply does not say is:

Why is its installation enabled by default?

Why is the software so awful that it has to be distributed in this way, rather than it being simply offered as a truly optional opt-IN addtion or, even better, simply offered separately on its OWN merit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 04, 2012 Oct 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm one of several of the users who have not seen the chechbox to disable McAfee installation.

Please help us blind dummies by being very explicit.

I'm using AR 10.1.4 on Win7

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 08, 2012 Oct 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, no check box for me either. I only had option to download and install Flash, McAfee showed up installing itself, I had to manually track it down and use the included uninstall option. I'm begining to rethink the usefullness, necessity of Flash player in the future???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 09, 2012 Nov 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Luckily HTML5 is becoming more and more common so we won't have to deal with this 1990's style virusey marketing crap anymore, we won't even need flash!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is absolutely incorrect. There is no "checkbox" to "un-check". You sir, are a liar.

I will never install Flash again until there is an opt-out. Period.

Flash's relevancy on the web is insignificant anyway, as evidenced by your pulling such shady tactics to attempt to pay for development. People buying Flash CS6 & Flash Builder should pay for the development of Flash Player, but not as many people are buying those these days, are they?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@coale.brian - There should most definitely be a checkbox shown.  We've actually added code in the last month or two to make sure that you see this page first, even if you directly try to go to our final download page.  Please see the highlighted area in the screenshot below.

11-9-2012 4-54-10 PM.png

How did you receive notification of the update?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see on this page that there is a checkbox:

http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

However, @Chris Campbell, the screenshot shown above is referring to installing Chrome and Google Toolbar.  Is that the correct screenshot?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're correct, in the case of McAfee, it should look like this:

11-9-2012 5-15-35 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 10, 2012 Nov 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Every damn month I'm having to field questions from my mother as to whether she should install this extra rubbish or not. Now I find that it has been installed automatically as part of the latest security update, and so I face a 60 mile trip and god alone knows how many hours removing this installation from her PC.

It's disgusting that such a major player in the IT industry should resort to underhand practices like this, just to make a few measly bucks. As a former Flash developer I rue the day you ever got your hands on Macromedia and, for the first time, I'm endorsing the late Steve Job's contempt for your software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 12, 2012 Nov 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use Firefox and have just been prompted to download the update program for the Flash plugin - this installs both the Flash plugin and MacAfee Security Scan Plus and gives absolutely no option not to install the MacAfee software - in fact it gives no options at all. I am disgusted at this underhand behaviour.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're laboring under the assumption that I actually went to seek Flash out and install it via your download page. What actually happened was I started my computer, and a large dark grey box popped up (not a browser) saying I needed to update flash. There were no check boxes, no opt-out, no notice that anything other than Flash was going to be installed. Yet, when the install started, the Flash installer immediately began installing McAfee without my consent. I immediately uninstalled it, just as I'm sure 99% of everyone else does, but that's still 5 minutes of my life I will never get back. Also, programs like McAfee are notorious for leaving junk files and registry entries behind, and I like to run a clean computer. Also, putting the "opt-out" on the download page, rather than the installer itself, is intentionally misleading. Most people won't be expecting to have to make that decision before they download the installer, and if they've already downloaded the installer, it likely won't occur to them that they need to go back to the web page, un-check the box, and re-download the installer. This whole thing is weak on the part of both Adobe & McAfee: McAfee for falsely boosting their 'units dowloaded' & 'units installed' numbers, and Adobe for using the same tactics warez-type sites and unreputible software makers use to 'cook the books' so to speak. Adobe should be collectively ashamed of itself for steeping to such lows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 10, 2012 Nov 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same for me.

I need to use Revo Uninstaller to completely remove McAfee.

I use Kaspersky and do not need nor want another antivirus on my machine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On the last couple of updates, there is NO opt-out checkbox for McAffee. I get an update notification with an update downloader link. Once that's launched, there's simply a download timeline status for the Flash and McAffee that start automatically after launching the executable updated download.

I'm unistalling McAffee yet again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@coal.brian - The page in my screenshot is the page you are presented with after clicking the download button from the large gray "update" dialog you were presented.  Clicking the button launches the browser, which in turn has two pages that are displayed.  The first being the one that I used in the screenshot, the second being the download page (see below)

11-12-2012 10-42-01 AM.png

As I mentioned in an earlier post, we've added code to the second page (download) so that if you were to go there first, we automatically redirect you back to the first page (opt out) so that you have the opportunity to decline the software option.

If anyone would like to test this out, simply restart your browser and go to this download URL (note that this is the URL from the screenshot in this post):  https://get3.adobe.com/flashplayer/download/?installer=Flash_Player_11_for_Other_Browsers&os=Windows...

If it works as designed, you will instead be silently redirected to the opt out page (see my earlier screenshot in this thread.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 02, 2012 Dec 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Chris, I love how you keep calling me a liar over and over again. I know what I saw, and your insistance upon repeatedly showing me a screenshot of a page the installer never took me to is not going to change the facts. I also have no intention on wasting my valuable time trying to 'reproduce' anything. Your development team should already be very familiar with the installer they created, and if they are not, then you need a new one. A quick Google search shows multitudes of people who have had the same issue, many from this very forum, and all of whom are being shown that same tired screenshot and lack of respect by the Adobe team. Might I also add that having an opt-out check box that is 'opted-in' by default and placed on the page in an intentionally obscure manner is not much of an improvement.

Also, please note that I am not some Adobe Flash/Acrobat Reader freebee user. I am a professional who has been using Adobe products from PageMaker all the way up to CS6 for well over a decade. You have my money already. So this isn't just lowering my opinion of Flash, but of ALL Adobe products I use on a daily basis to do my business. I have been an avid brand evangelist for years, so this is disappointing to say the least. 'The higher you rise' i guess...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 05, 2012 Dec 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@coale.brian - I haven't called you a liar, but I apologize if you've inferred that from my responses.

I realize that you do not want to spend any additional time on this subject, but if anyone else can help me reproduce this issue, I'm willing to drop what I'm doing to see this occur.  Shoot an email to ccampbel@adobe.com and we can go from there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only real way to fix this is to have the extra software an opt-in choice. Make the, "Click Here To Get This Amazing Additional Software Package", button as big as you want. But do not force it on me. Opt-In is the only way for Adobe to be respectful to their clients and audience.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@sjfaust - I understand your position on making this an "opt in" instead of "opt out" choice and have relayed this to the team.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just thought of something that could make Opt-In a more attractive option for Adobe. Some of the more recent advertising strategies allow ad skipping. This works because they then charge the business buying the ad more for each ad that was not skipped. Those people like the message enough to watch the ad. Adobe should charge more for opt-in installations because those people wanted the software and may pay the upgrade next year.

Please pass this thought along to the proper department.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 25, 2013 Feb 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sjfaust wrote:

Just thought of something that could make Opt-In a more attractive option for Adobe. Some of the more recent advertising strategies allow ad skipping. This works because they then charge the business buying the ad more for each ad that was not skipped. Those people like the message enough to watch the ad. Adobe should charge more for opt-in installations because those people wanted the software and may pay the upgrade next year.

Please pass this thought along to the proper department.

I will pass this along.  Thank you for the suggestion.

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 26, 2013 Feb 26, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Flash support:

It just happened AGAIN!

I just got ANOTHER Flash update that included an Opt-In request to install unrequested software.

Your said that this shouldn't be happening on updates.

You asked how to reproduce the issue.

I screen captured each step this time.

Here we go...

1 - Booted my computer and got this popup:

FlashUpdateScreen1.JPG

2 - Pressed the "Download" button (to allow your software to update).

3 - I got this web page:

FlashUpdateScreen2.JPG

Notice that the option to install the unrequested software is already checked!!

(hand drawn letters, black arrow, and frustrated red lines were added by me (to indicate my displeasure)).

3 - I unchecked the option to install the unrequested software.

4 - After clicking "Update now" and running the update after it finished downloading, I got this:

FlashUpdateScreen3.JPG

5 - After pressing the "Finish" button, this web page opened:

FlashUpdateScreen4.JPG

(Notice the one star rating I gave this experience.)

Is the opt-in for the unrequested software expected behavior for this update or is there a bug in your update web page?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines