• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CHM

New Here ,
Aug 27, 2012 Aug 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the purpose of creating a chm, if you have map individual htm file to the application. Is it not possible to attach chm directly to the help button??

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes you can just open the help file and let the user find their way to the topic that relates to the screen they are in. The more helpful way is to provide context sensitive help so that if the user is in Screen A they get the help for Screen A and if they are in Screen B they get the help for Screen B.

That's the same for any help, not just CHMs.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I fully do agree to the concept of context sensitive help.

Since I do not have a software developing back ground. I do want to understand as described below:

Help button is viewed irrespective of the page that is opened in an application. So without mapping every htm page to the respective page, How can a CHM file be integrated with the application to show the help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I would like to add my two cents to this disscussion.

for Any SSL (output format) in RoboHelp, CSH is not generated untill you map the topic you want to use as CSH to the a map ID which is used by the developer of the application as CSH help.

In RoboHelp in the Project setup pod there is method to autocreate map ID with all the topic in the project or use another external heder to define your mapping.

you just need to do it once and gets picked up by any output format you generate.

Hope this will help

Regards

Ashish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 28, 2012 Aug 28, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have a look at these pages - http://www.grainge.org/pages/authoring/calling_webhelp/calling_webhelp.htm

http://www.wvanweelden.eu/articles/context-sensitivity-webhelp-and-flashhelp

http://www.adobe.com/devnet-archive/robohelp/articles/context_help.html

they all talk about WebHelp, but the principles are the same for CHMs too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 28, 2012 Aug 28, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

So finally it does come down to mapping each topic irrespective of the output.

Thanks everyone, that sorts out my query.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp