Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

search and index functions don't work with merged projects

Aug 20, 2012 Aug 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Until this morning, the search and index functions in my RoboHelp project worked okay; I have one Main project into which I have merged more than three dozen sub-projects.  About an hour ago, I created a new sub-project and merged it into the Main project; now, it's as if the topics in my merged projects don't exist.

Any suggestions?

thanks,

Lon

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Aug 20, 2012 Aug 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

... just found another curiosity:  When attempting to add a topic to the Favorites tab, the .htm name appears in the "Current topic:" box at the bottom, as opposed to the topic name (i.e., name has under-scores between the words as well as the .htm suffix) -- this happens with the merged projects (except for the newly merged one from this morning -- its filenames appear in the Favorites box as they should).

does that help?

please help...

thanx,

Lon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 21, 2012 Aug 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let's deal with the first problem first and see what effect it has.

Did you add the new child to the parent's TOC?

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I suppose I did; after I merged the child into the parent (using the arrows to position it where I wanted it), then compiled, the child showed up right where it was supposed to.  I can open the book and access the topics just fine. 

Lon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So when you open the merge you see all the content, it is just the search and index not working. This must be merged CHMs as you are talking about a Favourites tab so maybe your other comment is relevant. My understanding of merged CHMs is that you do not want spaces in file names, that could be the problem.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 22, 2012 Aug 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I made a random check of several child projects (including the new one) and the parent topic; all are set to "Use underscores in filenames" (Tools-Options, General tab).

thanks for your continuing support with this problem...

Lon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know where else to go with this one, merged CHMs are not really my thing. Any ideas for the merged CHM folks?

Meantime there is some stuff on merged CHMs on my site at the end of the merged webhelp topic for Rh9.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wil this additional item help:  when I opened the .hhc file in Textpad, there was NO [MERGE FILES] section...

BTW:  I'm still using version 6...

thanx,

Lon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Egh? With nothing there, the merge should not be working at all. Try trashing the all the references in the parent and starting again. Backup first.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 23, 2012 Aug 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I goofed; I meant to say "when I open the .hhp file..." etc.

The .hhc file contains all the merged projects, with blocks of code as such:

<object type="text/sitemap">

<param name="Name" value="OnBase.chm::/OnBase.hhc">

<param name="Merge" value="OnBase.chm::/OnBase.hhc">

</object>

Lon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 23, 2012 Aug 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I read your post as meaning the HHP file because of the reference to Merge Files.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 28, 2012 Aug 28, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What about the idea of reverting to the older, working version (via backup tapes) and starting over?  Seems to be precious little info on line regarding RH6...

Also:  Would this be another instance of problems caused by having RH on the network? 

(yes, I'm still struggling with this)

lon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 28, 2012 Aug 28, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Try trashing the all the references in the parent and starting again."

Tried this; no go.

lr

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 29, 2012 Aug 29, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You are now telling us the source projects are on a network drive? You're on your own unless you have RoboHelp 10.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp