• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Chrome install fails

New Here ,
Aug 24, 2012 Aug 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I try to install ADE via Chrome on a Windows machine the installer fails.

When will Adobe be repairing this?

Why not just let us click on an .EXE file? Why do it different?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 28, 2012 Aug 28, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can try downloading it using a different browser.

or let me know the error that you get while downloading it using Chrome.

http://www.adobe.com/products/digitaleditions/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would be best if you attempt to install via chrome...its impossible and a supported browser.

I work for a major publishing firm and a huge portion of our traffic is from chrome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's Ok Greg, you can use any browser to do that be it chrome or firefox. May i know what happens when you try to download ADE using Chrome?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you click in install you get an error that it failed and to retry.

I called and someone at adobe Support also confirmed this when thy tried it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried to do the same and it worked just fine. May i know the version of Chrome you are using?

Try resetting the Chrome settings and check.(Go to - Options - Personal Stuff - Users - Delete User)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 29, 2012 Aug 29, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chrome: 21.0.1180.83 m  on Windows. Are you on Windows?

I don't have an "Options". I have settings, but nowhere in there is an option for "Personal Stuff".

Here's the error message.

Adobe - Digital Editions.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well I was going to say that you can download a standalone installer from this website http://www.adobe.com/devnet/digitalpublishing.html - but I just noticed that the entire page is no longer available.  Hopefully it will come back soon.

You may want to try the 1.8 public beta which is at http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/digitaleditions1-8.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jim, yes it was no longer available, but I did a google search and I found it. The only issue (back to why I'm so hard pressed to get this working) is that the terms and conditions do not allow "us" (my publishing company) distribute the standalone files.

You can only put them on an intranet.

I have done a ton of research otherwise and think I may have found a solution...although its a terrible ux.

in chrome://plugins disable builtin flash plugin

install adobe.com's flash plugin

The standalone flash plugin allows chrome to install from the ADE flash badge.

This is not a resolution for my purposes. Adobe needs to fix this or allow us to install from an .EXE/.ZIP download. Not sure why we all need to suffer through the unnecessary and convoluted "Badge" experience.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well speaking as a user, on your website I would much rather see raw links (to the .acsm file and to the adobe web site for installers), than for you to suggest that I try to make flash work appropriately.  Telling me to disable an essential part of chrome's security would make me question doing business with you at all.

It's no different than say PDF - you can't redistribute Adobe Reader, but you can point at the download page.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hear you Jim. But if you go to the Adobe website to install ADE to read my acsm file, you will be told by Adobe that Chrome works, but you will continually fail when attempting to install it.

So eventually you could potentially come back to me, and say, I bought your product, but I cannot read it. Give me a refund.

And the other biggest concern of users beyond installing the necessary software, is getting it to your reading device. Adobe doesn't offer that support either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, one other thing...

When you go to Adobe reader's download page, you get an .exe file.

http://get.adobe.com/reader/?promoid=HRZAC

When you go to Adobe Digital addition's page you get a flash installer badge.

http://www.adobe.com/products/digitaleditions/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wasn't suggessting that you send your customers to the main DE product page - I was suggesting that if your users are having trouble, you could have two deep links as helpful alternatives on your website.

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/entitlement/index.cfm?e=digitaleditions

or

http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/digitaleditions1-8.html

However, please continue to press to get the flash downloader removed, as I also dislike it. I'm just not willing to hold my breath for it to happen - just look at how long it's taken them to get an update to 1.7 out.

(and just to make sure - I no longer work for Adobe)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jim. I'm very close to sending them to the first link.

This will kill 3 birds:

1. they need to create the Adobe ID, which is necessary for our users.

2. they get a normal .exe or .zip file avoiding the flash issue

3. they get updated on new versions (if and when that happens)

My only concern is its a pretty painful experience to go through.

But the top 3 may end up outweighing the ux.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines