• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

11.4 MSI Not installing via Group Policy

Community Beginner ,
Aug 23, 2012 Aug 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have been able to install 11.2 and 11.3 by GPO by using the msi file wiith few problems.  However, 11.4 msi isn't working using the exact methods that worked with previous versions.

Error says it is "NOT MARKED FOR INSTALLATION."

How can this be solved?

We would like to push 11.4 out ASAP before more users respond to the update prompt for 11.4 and install it manually and then inadvertantly install tool bars and extra browsers that are set to install by default when a user installs it.  We had planned to deploy only 11.3 and then have it silently update to all future updates automatically with no user intervention, but 11.4 has thrown a wrench in that plan.

Also, will 11.4 start updating 11.3 to 11.4 silently next week?  I read that these unwanted manual installation prompts to users with mms,cfg settings set to automatically install are supposed to stop happening 7 days after the release of 11.4.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 23, 2012 Aug 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We're in the process of investigating this error but need help from community members.  Would you be willing to generate debug logs for us?  If so, please see the instructions below:

Perform the following steps on an impacted system

1. Download the appropriate "Debugging Tools for Windows" MSI installer which is available from:

** For 32 Bit systems: http://msdl.microsoft.com/download/symbols/debuggers/dbg_x86_6.11.1.40 4.msi

** For 64 Bit systems: http://msdl.microsoft.com/download/symbols/debuggers/dbg_amd64_6.11.1. 404.msi

Click on Run

Click on Next

Click on "I agree" for the EULA

Click on Next

Select the radio button for "Custom"

Click on Browse and change the default install path to C:\DEBUGGERS

Click on Next

Click on Install

Click on Finish

2. Download the appropriate TTTSetup MSI installer:

3. Copy the appropriate TTTSetup MSI installer to c:\debuggers

Double click on the MSI installer to execute

Click on "Next"

Click on "I accept" for the EULA

Click on "Next"

Ensure the install location reads C:\Debuggers\ttt\

Click on "Next"

Click on "Install"

4. Launch task manager and ensure that there are no running instances of msiexec.exe. If there are, end the running instances. This will help us isolate the msiexec.exe process(es) that are associated with the Flash Player MSI.

5. Launch the Flash Player 11 MSI installer but do not click on the Install button just yet.

6. Locate the msiexec.exe process(es) that appear in task manager after launching the Flash Player MSI. Take note of the PID(s) for msiexec.exe (you will need it later)

- If you do not see a PID column in Task Manager, you can add it from the task manager View pulldown menu (View->Select Columns)

7. Create the following folder C:\iDNAtrace

8. Open a command prompt and navigate to C:\Debuggers\ttt (cd C:\Debuggers\ttt)

- If you have two running instances of msiexec.exe, you will need to perform steps 8 - 10 in two separate command prompts in order to capture all MSI activity (one for each PID).

- If you are on Windows 7, you will need to launch the command prompt with the "Run As Administrator" command. To do this, click on Start, type cmd in the search field, right click on cmd.exe.

9. Type "TTtracer.exe -Initialize" without the quotation marks and then Press Enter.

10. Type "TTtracer.exe –dumpfull –maxfile 1024 –ring –out c:\iDNAtrace –attach PID” without the quotation marks, Press Enter. <Replace "PID" with the process ID for msiexec.exe from step 5 above>

11. click on the Flash Player 11 MSI Install button. When the Flash Player 11 MSI displays the error message, click on "Exit App" on the iDNA window on the desktop. This will create the .out and .run trace files in the C:\iDNAtrace folder

Please send the .run and .out files to ccampbel@adobe.com for further analysis.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 29, 2012 Aug 29, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same problem here on 2 win7x64 workstations (other 5 win7x64 went through normally, haven't check dozens of winxp yet) ... so far I am unable to install 11.4 flash player even afer using FPuninstaller and deleteing the contents of windows\system32\macromed\flash and windows\syswow64\macromed\flash.

will send you debugs soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I followed your instructions and there were 3 msiexec instances that appeared upon start of install_flash_player_11.active_x.msi

the resultant .out and .run files take 464MB of space all together (112MB when zipped) ... kinda tad too big for an email ... sending you a link to your email, so you can download debugs from our webserver.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks!  Please let me know when you send it so I can verify that I received it.

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 30, 2012 Aug 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Chris. I sent out the email yesterday at 4pm (Eastern time), let me know if you had downloaded the zipped package already from our webserver so I can remove it. thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

founds 2 more failed installations of flash player 11.4 (32-bit this time), reported by install_flash_player_11_plugin.msi, on windows xp sp3 workstations.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you email me again, I can't seem to find anything in my inbox about this.  ccampbel@adobe.com

Thanks,

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris Campbell wrote:

Could you email me again, I can't seem to find anything in my inbox about this.  ccampbel@adobe.com

Thanks,

Chris

sent out a forward a second ago.

EDIT:

sent you a copy via PM too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 04, 2012 Sep 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I have a working solution, but it's manual and not officially supported...

Actually I have used the same method to recover from massive flash player corruption in my company after 10.3 was released. The official Flash Player Uninstaller alone won't solve the problem if that is what you tried. Anyways, here are steps I take and it works every time for me on any Windows OS.

1. Download the latest Flash Player Uninstaller from below link:

http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/uninstall-flash-player-windows.html#main_Download_the_Adobe_F...

2. Download the Windows Installer CleanUp tool (MSICUU2.exe) which for some reason is no longer officially available for download from Microsoft (it was until May 2009), e.g. from below link (in article follow the link to MajorGeeks servers):

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/microsoft-retires-windows-installer-cleanup-utility

USE THIS UTILITY ON YOUR OWN RISK (I personally never had a single problem with it)

3. Close all browser windows and background programs that might use Flash (e.g. Yahoo messenger, Skype, etc.)

4. go to Control Panel and try uninstalling all instances of Flash Player you can see (don't worry if some of them throw errors upon uninstall attempt)

5. Run Flash Player Uninstaller tool and let it finish

6. Run Windows Installer CleanUp and forcefully remove all instances of Flash Player that were not possible to remove "normally" or were not even visible through Add/Remove Programs (or Programs and Features in Windows 7)

8. Delete the Folder "Flash" under both locations (second location for x64 systems only):

c:\windows\system32\macromed\

c:\windows\syswow64\macromed\

9. Restart the computer and enjoy a hassle free installation of Flash Player once more

web1c wrote:

We have been able to install 11.2 and 11.3 by GPO by using the msi file wiith few problems.  However, 11.4 msi isn't working using the exact methods that worked with previous versions.

Error says it is "NOT MARKED FOR INSTALLATION."

How can this be solved?

We would like to push 11.4 out ASAP before more users respond to the update prompt for 11.4 and install it manually and then inadvertantly install tool bars and extra browsers that are set to install by default when a user installs it.  We had planned to deploy only 11.3 and then have it silently update to all future updates automatically with no user intervention, but 11.4 has thrown a wrench in that plan.

Also, will 11.4 start updating 11.3 to 11.4 silently next week?  I read that these unwanted manual installation prompts to users with mms,cfg settings set to automatically install are supposed to stop happening 7 days after the release of 11.4.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 04, 2012 Sep 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

!@#% wrote:

2. Download the Windows Installer CleanUp tool (MSICUU2.exe) which for some reason is no longer officially available for download from Microsoft

The reason why Microsoft has replaced it with Microsoft Fixit is that the cleanup tool tended to corrupt some Office 2007 components.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 05, 2012 Sep 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yeah, I think I read something about it on MS website which formerly hosted this tool

It happens tho that our company doesn't run MS Office at all (we use OpenOffice.org instead), so I never observed any trouble with that tool.

Pat Willener wrote:

!@#% wrote:

2. Download the Windows Installer CleanUp tool (MSICUU2.exe) which for some reason is no longer officially available for download from Microsoft

The reason why Microsoft has replaced it with Microsoft Fixit is that the cleanup tool tended to corrupt some Office 2007 components.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 19, 2012 Sep 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We also install Adobe Flash Player via group policy in our LAN. I noticed this problem (Bug 3293566) with upgrade from 11.3 to 11.4.402.278 on some Windows 7 systems where the users with admin priviledges manually initiated the upgrade offered by Adobe Flash Player Update service.

To solve the problem I used advice from this blog: in the Registry you have to remove keys corresponding to Adobe Flash Player under the HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\Installer\Products key and then restart Windows.

-- rpr.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 01, 2014 Apr 01, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Take a look at these nice-looked, easy inctructions with screenshots for deployment software via gpo http://messenger.softros.com/help/domain-install.html for Windows server 2012

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines