22 Replies Latest reply on Sep 1, 2012 6:20 AM by rob day

Colour shifted in iPad vs MacPro/MacBook Pro 17

CaramelMacchiato Level 1

I had created CMYK file in Adobe Illustrator CS6 for business card/logo, etc. I placed the Ai file into InDesign CS6 business card document (two pages).

Then output the InDesign business card document as high quality print PDF. Just out of my curious, I opened the CMYK print file on my iPad 2, and noticed quickly that the colour shifted sightly on iPad 2 as opposed on MacBook Pro 17 unibody and Mac Pro - 12 core.

I suspect that it has a lot to do with CMYK color management setting on InDesign's preflight export to PDF?

Just tell me what exactly did I do wrong? Am I assuming the color shift is because of CMYK is not interpreted properly on iPad, only RGB, correct?

Thanks for some help and feedback. And please confirm this if I am assume wrong or right. And tell me why I think wrong. Or if I am right, or both ways? So I can troubleshoot in the right approach.

Look forward to hear some perspective. Have a good one.

Best, Brian

• 1. Re: Colour shifted in iPad vs MacPro/MacBook Pro 17
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

I suspect it has a lot more to do with color management, or lack therof, in the various viewers on those devices and whther or not the screens are all calibrated and profiled.

• 2. Re: Colour shifted in iPad vs MacPro/MacBook Pro 17
            Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

(1) There is no color management available on any mobile device I'm aware of.

(2) Anything intended for viewing on screen should stay in RGB because that's the native color space of monitors, tablet screens, etc.

• 3. Re: Colour shifted in iPad vs MacPro/MacBook Pro 17
              CaramelMacchiato Level 1

I have calibrated and profiled on those two monitors that are connected to MacPro, as well as MacBook Pro. All of my workflow requires me to do a thoroughly calibrate regularly. However I realize that I did not clarify or mention that I had calibrated.

Yes, correct and I agree with you, Peter.

• 4. Re: Colour shifted in iPad vs MacPro/MacBook Pro 17
                CaramelMacchiato Level 1

Steve,

That is what I had suspected about devices that use RGB. I also realized that I put lot of time invested in this project so I become a little tired and obviously need a short break like coffee or cappuccino.

I will take a look at this once more and confirm back.

I don't know why I tested print CMYK PDF on iPad but I also realize that it is a good way to spot this before someone ask me this question why is this happening. I want to be prompt and quick to respond. But it is good to know that I thought that CMYK is not ideally suitable for any devices such as iPad or iPhone. I don't know about other smartphone and tablets for the ability to interpret CMYK Icc profile. I don't think so.

So from now on, two types of PDF, one is for web and the other separate PDF only for printing.

Not only that, but I love to test everything just to make sure that it looks good as expected.

Anyway, thanks for your input and feedback.

Have a gorgeous day!

Best, Brian

• 5. Re: Colour shifted in iPad vs MacPro/MacBook Pro 17

I would expect an accurate display onthe clibrated monitors, but the other devices are not really intended for more than casual viewing, and I wouldn't expect any more color consistency on them than you would see from set to set in a large array of TV sets at the electronic store.

• 6. Re: Colour shifted in iPad vs MacPro/MacBook Pro 17

Forgot to add that you cannot EVER control what users see on their screens, so there's not much reason to worry about it. Color management is really a concept aimed at getting consistent and reilable output from calibrated and profiled monitors onto a printed page (and even that will look different under different lighting conditions).

• 7. Re: Colour shifted in iPad vs MacPro/MacBook Pro 17
                      rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

There is a difference in the way a PDF displays in a browser on an OS with color management and an iOS device where there's none.

Dov pointed out awhile back that PDFs in a desktop browser are fully color managed, so a PDF/X-4 with the same CMYK image saved with different embedded profiles will display correctly.

Here the same CMYK image with US Sheetfed and US SWOP displays differently—at least on OSX browsers. When I look at the same PDF on a iOS device the two images clearly are not displayed via the profiles and look the same:

http://www.zenodesign.com/forum/X-4.pdf

1 person found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: Colour shifted in iPad vs MacPro/MacBook Pro 17
                        CaramelMacchiato Level 1

Rob,

Thanks for precise and obvious explanation. This is what I had suspected earlier. But wasn't sure 100%. Good to know that it is not just me.

I suspect that there are other Adobe InDesign customers might have run into similar issue as you and I have. So, it is good discussion with perspective for all others to see and benefit.

Have a fabulous day!

Thanks!

Brian

• 9. Re: Colour shifted in iPad vs MacPro/MacBook Pro 17
                          CaramelMacchiato Level 1

Peter,

As others and yourself and myself already know how complicated is with colour management, and how this related specifically to the question and situation I had encountered. I didn't say that I want to test PDF on whole array of TV at some store. Your analogy and comment has not been very helpful, just saying.

I was specifically asking the simple question and get to the point related to smartphone/tablet devices as well as browsers on MacPro and MacBook Pro. I didn't say about TV per se. So don't hold your breath on that one.

As for no control over colour management setting on other people's computer monitors, it is certainly very true. I agree with you on that one. But just no need to say much further where it serves no