9 Replies Latest reply: Aug 29, 2012 6:14 PM by patruns98 RSS

Print size problems

patruns98 Community Member

Hopefully someone has come across this problem.

I worked on creating a 8.5 in by 11in PSD file that looks on the screen perfect. I have my workspace set to View Print size & I have the rulers opened to verify my file fits on a 8.5 x 11 letter size for printing.

All looks good until I print it... it constantly scales to 3.5 in. by 2.5 in. ???

I checked my Image size & page size ... all are set to 8.5 x 11. I checked my printer's settings all appears to be OK.

I can print other files @ correct size... ???

Am I  missing something ???    Please help... I need this file printed ASAP.

Thank you... Pat

p.s. I'm still running P.S. CS4  But have not had this problem before.       

• 1. Re: Print size problems
          Noel Carboni Community Member

In the Print dialog there are some options for scaling in the section called Scaled Print Size.  Is Scale To Fit Media unchecked, and is the Scale setting 100%?

PrintDialogScaling.png

-Noel

• 2. Re: Print size problems

Thank You Noel, But yes... I do have the Scale to Fit Media unchecked and also at 100%

I must REALLY need a brain check up.... this is REALLY Frustrating!!!    But Thank You. Pat 

• 3. Re: Print size problems
              gener7 CommunityMVP

Since you have to get this printed,have you tried doing it from another application that can take a psd file?

About the only thing that would make sense is if your file is layered and PS is printing an item that is that small size. In that case you could make a flattened copy and try again.

• 4. Re: Print size problems

If you're willing, please put up some screenshots showing, your Photoshop application, your Image Size panel, your Canvas Size panel, your Print dialog (blank out the image content if you need).  Maybe someone will be able to spot something.  We've been having good luck with screenshots today.  Gene (gener7) has just a while ago put up a great quote from Compucious:  "A screenshot is worth a thousand questions". 

-Noel

• 5. Re: Print size problems
                  gener7 CommunityMVP

Or in the words of an old ATT Long Distance commerial, "The next best thing to being there."

• 6. Re: Print size problems

You Gals/Guys are the best... I'll attempt to put in my screen shots in here... Hopefully they are readable... THANK YOU! AGAIN.
                      PSD_Print_Dialog.jpgPSD_Size_Canvas_shot.jpgPSD_Size_Forum.jpg

• 7. Re: Print size problems

I think I see a possible clue...  Your canvas is showing as 17.778 x 14.222 inches, even though your document size is only 8.5 x 11.  I'm not sure what's up with that.  What does the Canvas Size dialog show when you uncheck [  ] Relative?

You might try this:  Call up the Crop Tool, drag it around the edge of the green part, but while the Crop Tool operation is active and before committing the crop look up in the Options Bar and make sure (*) Delete button is selected.  Then complete the crop.

I find it handy to have things read out in pixels rather than inches.  This is accomplished by a Preferences setting in the Units & Rulers section, changing Rulers: to Pixels.  But that's entirely up to you. 

I wonder how Image Size and Canvas Size can differ like that.  Maybe I'm zoning out this evening, but I can't think of how that can be.  It's been a long day.

-Noel

• 8. Re: Print size problems
                        gener7 CommunityMVP

If Relative is unchecked,then it just might be safe to enter the 8.5 x 11 size in the the Canvas Size Width and Height boxes.

Yes clipping will occur,just proceed.

Gene

• 9. Re: Print size problems

Thank you again Noel.... I just tried your insightful suggestion... But I still got a printed 3.5 page.     AAAAAGGGHHHH!

But you are correct... long day... I'm going to go have a Beer on my deck & look at the Stars.