Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Consolidate FlashHelp/WebHelp

Aug 31, 2012 Aug 31, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been asked by my developers if there is any way to consolidate the output from RoboHelp in FlashHelp or WebHelp into one file? Apparently, their stance is that one file is easier/takes less time to install than several smaller files. Or, if there's a way to zip the files, but still access them for help as they "normally would."

My guess is that no, there is no way to do that and still have the output function as a mini-website.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Rich

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Indeed there is. The output is called Microsoft HTML Help and the file extension is .CHM. But the issue is that CHM files don't function on networks unless you jump through hoops. And if you placed the CHM on a web server, it would have to be downloaded and unblocked by the end user before it could be used.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7, 8 or 9 within the day!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, Rick...

Yep, I understand that about Microsoft HTML. However, my understanding is that CHMs are at the bottom of the list when comparing capabilities or feature lists of the various outputs. My understanding, although I've been unable to find a capability or feature comparison of the various output types, is that, from most capable to least, the list is FlashHelp, WebHelp, Microsoft HTML. Is that not the case? My desire is to bring a clean, modern look to the help modules I develop, with features that extend and enhance the user experience. My history and experience with CHMs are that they are somewhat dull and less capable.

Also, the issue you mentioned about server accessibility would be a problem sometime down the line too.

Thanks!

Rich

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RH10 has a new feature that allows you to skin a CHM with a WebHelp skin - that might jazz it up for you. It all really depends on where it's going to be put - workstation, server, webserver, etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree that the ability to deploy CHM with a skin is cool. Wish I'd thought of it!

Keep in mind that the same limitations mentioned earlier would exist. Basically what the "Skinned CHM" is, is a CHM container with WebHelp output files inside. The main frame of the CHM window will still be the same. I haven't been able to test this thoroughly. My copy of RoboHelp is having issues so I can't even get into version 10 to play.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 03, 2012 Sep 03, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure I would put FlashHelp at the top of the pile because at some locations Flash will not be permitted. Makes things awkward that.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 04, 2012 Sep 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter, that is exactly the issue we're running into; some locations don't have the capability to get FlashPlayer.

On that note, is there a resource somewhere that give specifics regarding the differences between FlashHelp and WebHelp? That is, are there features/capabilities that FlashHelp has which WebHelp does not?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 04, 2012 Sep 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If not all users can get FlashPlayer, aren't any differences academic?

I don't think FlashHelp has any functionality that WebHelp does not. It just has a more sexy dress on.

I would put a bit of slap on WebHelp and run with that as it is more versatile.

Not aware of any online comparison.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Normally the developers just include the entire folder as part of their build process; even if you zipped it, they would still have to un-zip it when installed. Have you looked at other 1-file systems like CHM or locally-installed AIRHelp?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LOL, I totally spaced AIR Help. Probably because I don't really consider it to be a "one file deployment". Certainly one file that you distribute is created, but that file cannot be used until the AIR runtime has been installed. Then you have to perform an actual install of the package. Then there's the pesky Digital Certificate that's involved.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That can all be wrapped up in the developer's installer - you apply for & get the license to distribute the run-time (free); you make up your own certificate (free); the developer's installer handles it all silently (in our case at least). Easy-peasy-lemon-squeezy!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp