• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can I upgrade Flash on a certified tablet after installing ICS?

Aug 23, 2012 Aug 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm in a bind here. I waited too long to buy a tablet and now Flash has been removed from Google Play. I could kick myself for that. Anyway, I did some research and found out Adobe has a list of certified devices that run Flash. Seeing how this list doesn't list any of the newer tablets running Tegra 3 (except the Acer A510 which has serious QC issues), I decided to get the Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9. I was told by Samsung, unfortunately, that Adobe Flash is not "pre-installed" on this tablet or any of their tablets in general. Again, I could kick myself a thousand times.

So, I've been looking at "refurbished" or "used" versions of this tablet and found several sellers that told me their 8.9's have Flash 10.1 installed already. From what I've read, the 8.9 is going to get an update for ICS 4.0.4 very soon.

Okay, here's what I'd like to know: These sellers installed Flash under "their" accounts when they downloaded it from Google Play. If I buy this tablet and then upgrade the OS to ICS, will I be able to download Flash under my account if I haven't downloaded Flash before even if it has Flash on the tablet already? I ask this because a few people who own the Galaxy Tab 10.1 found that Flash no longer worked for them after the upgrade, but they were able to download it again because they had downloaded Flash in the past.

Not only will I update this tablet to a new OS, I will also have to update Flash to version 11. I want the year's worth of updates which is why I'm getting a "certified" device.

Sorry for making a story out of my question but I wanted to supply the facts to you.

Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 24, 2012 Aug 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Cade,

The only Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9 tablets Adobe has Certified are those running Android 3.2 (Gingerbread). There is no Flash Player support for any other version on that Samsung device. I would suggest you contact Samsung and Google directly regarding your particulars.

Regards,

Greg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Aug 24, 2012 Aug 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I contacted Samsung by phone and chat and they could not give me a straight answer. I understand the 8.9 is only supported under Honeycomb 3.2. However, once they get the update to ICS, then they are "entitled" to Flash 11.1. What I need to know is, if I buy that tablet and it has Flash already installed on it, will I be able to download the update for Flash after the tablet has been upgraded to ICS?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 27, 2012 Aug 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is entirely determined by Samsung and Google, so there is no way Adobe can guarantee Flash Player will be supported on any other devices than what is listed on the certified devices list.

http://www.adobe.com/devnet-apps/flashruntimes/certified-devices.html

Regards,

Greg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But the Galaxy Tab 8.9 is on the list of "certified" devices.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Only the Android version 3.1 is officially supported. You are asking if Android version 4 is supported on the Tab 8.9 and only Samsung and Google can answer that specific question.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now I see what you're saying. I guess I'll have to live with older technology. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 31, 2012 Aug 31, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This obscene.

I just bought a Galaxy Tab 2 (ver 7.0) and discovered when I went to view my webpage with Flash generated content that Flash is not supported and that I cannot download the Flash Player for it.

I am trying to find an alternative player that will run the SWF and files, but I don't know which one to use and the ones I have tried have not worked.

The box specifically said "Compatible with Adobe Flash Player" which is why I got the Android tablet rather than an iPad.

Is this deceptive advertising or just stupidity on the part of someone.  (Is Adobe intentionally pissing people off causing the incompatibilty?)

Other than returning the Galaxy Tab, I don't know what to do since my primary objective was to run Flash aps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 31, 2012 Aug 31, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree. It probably is compatible but you didn't download Flash before August 15th when they removed it from Google Play. In order to get around this, I bought and "refurbished" galaxy tab 8.9 from ebay and asked before I bought it if it has Flash "preloaded". Return your 7" and do what I did. If you like that size, try the 7.0 plus or the awesome 7.7. Again, ask if it has Flash installed before laying down your cash.

Good luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 23, 2012 Oct 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 24, 2012 Oct 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cade (and everyone else),

The SOLUTION is to install the Dolphin Browser on your Galaxy Tab.  I emailed to my Gmail address the Flash Player Ap and opened Gmail with Dolphin.

I was then able to install the Flash Player Ap as an "unauthorized" ap.  It now works with Dolphin, Firefox, and Chrome.

Hope this helps other Flash users and developers.

Allan Hytowitz

Allan@Dyop.org 

(All of the current Dyopâ„¢ tests are done in flash.  The rotating home screen image can also be used to verify that your screen resolution is correctly set.  The Color test can screen for dyslexia.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 24, 2012 Oct 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Allan. I went ahead and installed ICS, taking a chance, and it worked fine. It's far from perfect but it gets the job done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines