6 Replies Latest reply: Sep 6, 2012 1:36 AM by kiratsinhjadeja RSS

Quicktime Codecs/Compressors and After Effects?

kiratsinhjadeja

Hi,

I have AE CS4, updated.Win XP SP 3 and 560ti Nvidia.

I have a few questions regarding quicktime and after effects.

I mostly render using quicktime and photo-jpeg as the compressor.But in the timelapse I shot, it is not giving me precise colors and the final movie is low on contrast.
      I tried animation codec, awesome but file size too large.I am rendering for stock footage where 1GB is maximum file size limit.

My questions:

1 - Will updating Quicktime update the compressor menu list under quicktime format in after effects render settings?Will updating also add new compressors, if any?

2 - Where does quicktime store encoders/compressors if installed on C drive?

3 - I saw many recommending DNxHD codec.I downloaded it.What next?Is it a quicktime compressor, i.e. to be used with quicktime as we use h.264, animation and photo-jpeg?

4 - How do I add DNxHD codec to After Effects for use in renders?

5 - Could you recommend the best lossless quicktime compressor which gives not so big file size as animation does?

Currently I see 11 compressors in format options under quicktime.Are there more?I have the latest k-lite codec pack installed if that matters.

Thank you.
      Would be greatful if you can explain, it will help me get clear on this.

Thank you.And sorry if it is a very basic question.

• 1. Re: Quicktime Codecs/Compressors and After Effects?
          Mylenium MVP

1 - Will updating Quicktime update the compressor menu list under quicktime format in after effects render settings

Yes.

Will updating also add new compressors, if any?

No. There simply are no more built into QT.

2 - Where does quicktime store encoders/compressors if installed on C drive?

In its program directory or the relevant QT sub-directory inside the Windows folder.

3 - I saw many recommending DNxHD codec.I downloaded it.What next?Is it a quicktime compressor, i.e. to be used with quicktime as we use h.264, animation and photo-jpeg?

Yes, it is. And that also answers question 4.

5 - Could you recommend the best lossless quicktime compressor which gives not so big file size as animation does?

The PNG CoDec and then most third-party CoDecs like DNxHD or the Blackmagic ones. Still, the latter would be pointless, sonce not all people will ahve access to such CoDecs or will not want to install them.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Quicktime Codecs/Compressors and After Effects?
            Dave LaRonde Community Member

A couple of additional answers would be helpful: what do you have to deliver?  What will be the final use of your animation file?

We could then point you in a better direction.

• 3. Re: Quicktime Codecs/Compressors and After Effects?
              kiratsinhjadeja Community Member

Hi, thanks for the replies.

It is a timelapse footage and not animation file.I meant animation codec under quicktime format gives me the best results.I tried h.264 and photo-jpeg, but the final video looks flat and low on contrast.I have done some color grading and only animation and png renders it correctly.

But the problem is that the file size is pretty huge.I also see banding in photo-jpeg and h.264 renders.

I want to upload the timelapse to pond5 for sale.But photo-jpeg just gives me flat colors and flat contrast.

Can you suggest a compression that maintains colors plus gives a size under 1GB?

Photo-Jpeg render frame:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/42878955/1%20Photo%20-%20Jpeg.JPG

Animation render frame:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/42878955/2%20Animation.JPG

You can see how flat photo-jpeg looks.Also hasn't rendered the colors and contrast properly.

Along with this, can you help me install DNxHD codec?I downloaded it and it has 2 folders, Source and TestFrames.What next?

• 4. Re: Quicktime Codecs/Compressors and After Effects?
                Mylenium MVP

Umm, seriously, what are you looking for? There is no magic CoDec that fixes your crooked footage. If it comes out flat, then apply adjustments and use color management to ensure consistent color rendering. If it has banding, apply a hint of noise. There is simply no CoDec that will do miracles while meeting their requiremnts. and I don't see an issue. Pretty much all stuff they sell comes in Photo-JPEG, PNG o0r H.264 flavors. The issue is on your end.

Mylenium

• 5. Re: Quicktime Codecs/Compressors and After Effects?

Hi, thank you.

Okay, I understand.Banding is only visible in photo-jpeg render, not otherwise.And I haven't shot the footage, but jpeg 2k jpeg sequences downsized to 1920.But I get true colors without any color management when using animation and png codec.Though I choose best quality for photo-jpeg, I don't get true colors.Why so?What can I do?

• 6. Re: Quicktime Codecs/Compressors and After Effects?

Hi,

Thank you for all your help.I thought I will share the solution I came across on the web:

For the loss of contrast and colors I was talking in the quicktime Photo-Jpeg, h.264 render, please see here to to solve it without recompressing again:

http://www.videocopilot.net/blog/2008/06/fix-quicktime-gamma-shift/

As for the codec DNxHD, I installed it and loved it!It preserves the colors, 10 bit 220 render (16 bits composition), and the same file size, almost, as that of a quicktime photo-jpeg 8 bit render.No banding, nothing.Very nice codec for the file size.Thought would share the solution and experience.