Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RH10 - Printed Documentation Issues.

New Here ,
Aug 31, 2012 Aug 31, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

I'm new to RH10. I've started a new Technical Authoring role having taken 6 years out of the role... In my previous roles I've walked into the company and the styles and templeate were already set up and I just got on with the authoring part of the role. However, this time I'm starting from scratch, so am requiring some help.

I've used Robohelp in the past and decided this was the software to go along with. However, it's quite a bit different to how I remember it!

Currently I am using a trial of Robohelp 10. I have created a test project and managed to generate a Microsoft HTML Help file. I'm now trying to generate this into a printed document. Issues I'm having are:

• Firstly I seem to have a line of text which is set as Conditional Build Tag of Online only showing in my printed document. There are other Onliine only bits that are not showing, but this particular line I just cannot seem to remove from the printed document. Any suggestions on how to deal with this? I have removed the conditional tag and re added it.
  • The company's brand is to use Tahoma font. However, I'm finding that when I print the document it comes out in grey, even though I've set the font colour to be automatic. I've even tried to swap this to being black, but I still seem to get grey print. Is this down to the font type I'm using or could there be an issue with the generation?
  • I've set my Heading 1 style to be centred for the title page and still it prints out left alligned. Am I missing something with the style?
  • Finally, each of my topics are coming out printed on a new page, even though I have not selected the 'Start each topic on new page' check box when setting up the generation options. Can you point me in the right direction to adjust this please.

I'm sure that mose of these are user error and probably down to my rusty authoring. But hoping that help on these will help me to move forward and loosen up the rustyness!!!

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 03, 2012 Sep 03, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Online Conditional Build Tag: You may want to check what Conditional Build Tag expression is being used in the Printed Documentation single source layout? This controls the content that is included. However be aware that content in a topic (or a topic itself) can have more than one tag assigned to it. I think this will be a case of going back to the topics that have the online tag and doing some investigation. You can easily identify the topics with a CBT by right clicking on a tag in the Conditional Build Tag pod and selecting Properties.
  2. This could be down to the Word styles you are using in the template and how they are mapped to the RH Styles. Check out the following link for an excellent tutorial on producing printed documentation. http://www.grainge.org/pages/authoring/printing/printing.htm
  3. See point 2.
  4. Again this is style related. It sounds like you have a Word style mapped with the pagination option selected. See point 2.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 04, 2012 Sep 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many thanks. You've pointed me in the right direction and this has helped fix most of my problems. One remaining problem I am having is to do with my Heading styles. I'm thinking it is to do with the same issue with point 2, so going to dig further. Just wanted to express my gratitude.

Cheers!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 04, 2012 Sep 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make sure the heading in Rh is a straight H2 tag and in Word that Heading 2 really is a heading. So many times I have seen people call a paragraph style MyHeading2 or suchlike. That does not make it what Rh expects as a heading or what Word serves up as one.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 05, 2012 Sep 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for your feedback.

Not sure what I did in the end as shortly after I posted my last comment it corrected itself!!

Many thanks for all your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp