• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Resizing pixel art video without affecting the pixels with blur.

Explorer ,
Sep 05, 2012 Sep 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone,

First I would like to mention that I did searched for an answer to my issue on the forum but only found a thread by Rowby Goren from Jan 4, 2010, who asked a similar pixel resize question regarding to still images in CS4. He was answered to use Photoshop for this kind of task. My issue on the other hand is for handling a video that can only be edited in Premiere. I'm using CS6. My issue is as follows:

I work a lot with pixel art animation in 320x240 resolution. Usually I'm making a 320x240 scene of background and characters and the final result should be a doubled sized. So each pixel is actually 2 times larger. Just like old adventure games from the good old days that most of us remember. It works great with old style games creation engines however when I want to make a video with my pixel art creation in Premiere, I couldn't achieve an exact and clean doubled pixel when resizing the source by 200%. It always gets blurry. Does anyone knows if Premiere has any switch off option for scalling blur?

I have created an image that describes the issue. It's just a simple pixel art image that I picked up on google search. I saved and uploaded it as PNG for best quality, I just hope it won't get compressed after the upload. Any assitance will be appreciated!

Pixel Art Resize Issue.png

Thanks,

Gal Shemesh

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Feb 12, 2015 Feb 12, 2015

this is an old unanswered post but appears way up top on the google search engine. I bet I wasn't the only frustrated with this... SO HERE'S THE ANSWER:
Right click on your image layer, Quality < set to Draft. Done, your pixelart remains sharp as if you're using "Nearest Neighbor" in Photoshop or "Point" in Unity.

I really don't know why it's so hidden... Anyhow, don't forget to render in Draft Quality as well when done. Hope this helps someone out there!

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

any switch off option for scalling blur?

Scaling blur is not a 'feature' you can adjust.  When you scale video up, it get's blurry.  That's just how it is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jim, how are you doing? Thank you for the reply! But that's not quite correct though.

I've been creating computer games for many years by now and never encountered this issue before. When you scale up a digital image or video, the pixels should save their properties and not 'merge' with each other, but only double their size when scalling up by 200%. Most editing software today do the 'blurry' effect when scalling up or down an image because less and less people are working on pixel art noadays, and the blurry effect looks nice from a few meters away. Old editing tools on the other hand used to handle pixel arts quite well.

Take the Microsoft Paint that can be found in Windows XP for example. It used to handle pixel arts great when scalling up or down an image. But since Vista and OS 7 have arrived, the new Microsoft Paint has been 'improved' and now it does the same 'blurry' issue and can't handle scalling an exact pixel art image anymore. Try it for yourself on both XP and Vista/7 machines and be amazed with the difference.

I believe that there should be a way to turn off the blurring effect in Premiere for people like me who's work is still based on pixel arts (a feature request perhaps). Just like in Photoshop where you can switch off the 'antializing' feature in order to cut/paint areas in an image, without worring that the blurring effect will merge the pixels around your cut/paint area.

Then again any assistance will be appreciated!

Thanks,

Gal Shemesh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been creating computer games for many years by now and never encountered this issue before.

Computer games typically use vector graphics.  Video is rasterized.  BIG difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jim is correct video has a set amount of pixels. If you want vector based graphics you need to create them in adobe Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Even then, as soon as you bring it into PP, it'll be rasterized.  So scaling up will still cause it to degrade somewhat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 06, 2012 Sep 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jim and ComputerNovice25, thank you both for your replies.

I don't know how much you know about old style computer games from the '80s-'90s that were based on pixel art graphics, but it has nothing to do with vector graphic whatsoever. If they were then companies that are making re-makes for those games noadays wouldn't have to handle with all the graphics from almost scratch. They would only had to take the original graphics (if they were vector based I emphasize) and resize them to large resolutions. A good example for that are the old but yet great games 'Monkey Island 1' & 'Monkey Island 2' by LucasArts. The special edition of these games were created with vector tools in order to have much higher graphics resolution to attract the audience, however the original versions were entirely pixel art creation that was drew pixel by pixel.

As far as I know, vector graphics that usually create in Illustrator are based on mathematical calculation that creates an image. Say you draw a line from one point to another, the rest of the pixels between the first and last dots are calculated in such a way that it first makes the final file much smaller in size, but you'll also be able to scale the image up and down without loosing the overall quality of the image. So a character in 200x500 pixels size can be scaled up or down to whatever size you like and the image quality will remain as if you draw the character in the larger/smaller size. And that is due to the amazing vector pixels calculation technology. That can be seen in flash videos/games.

I'm working as I mentioned on pixel art style and therefore the vector technology is not for me. That is why I'm looking for a way to work in clean pixels without the blurry effect in few of the great softwares that lies in the Master Collection suite I purchased from Adobe, which are Premiere and perhaps After Effects. If there isn't any option to handle that then perhaps Adobe should consider a feature request to achieve that in the above tools.

And just for the big idea of what pixel art can be used for, see the image below in 100% and 200% sizes (was taken by google search). No vector tools have been used to create that image. It's a pixel by pixel creation. Click to see in full resolution.

Another Pixel Art Creation.png

If anyone else hears of a solution for my issue please let me know.

And Jim and ComputerNovice25, thanks again!

All the best,

Gal Shemesh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That graphic shows a degraded image, as you'd expect from scaling a rasterized image.  All you're missing is the aliasing.

If you want to double the size of your image, then you should create it that way in the original program, and not scale it inside of PP.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jim, I am aware of the fact that it's a degraded image that doesn't have any antializing effect on it. And that's what I'm trying to achieve in Premiere, although it's currently impossible. Until now I'm doing exactly what you suggested, which is to double the size in Photoshop or other tool that doesn't affect any antializing on the image and then I import it into Premiere. However this also makes a problem when you want to move objects on the screen as the imported images which are doubled size, won't show well on the 1:1 pixel grid when you move them around the screen. So let's say each move on the X axis to the left or right (which represents a move by 1 pixel) should be moved twice in order to meet the doubled sized images pixel grid.

Take a look on the picture I created to see what I mean. I've duplicated the box image and I'm trying to position each box one next to another in a 3d space look. The left boxes is the original image of the 2 boxes, and the right image is the doubled sized image that was created outside of Premiere. Please note that I've the entire screenshot twice larger so you could see the difference. And please ignore the fact that there is no antializing on the right image as I made this simulation in Photoshop so the pixels will be clean to show the problem.

Pixel Problem.png

So, if you aware of how a pixel grid looks like, check the left image. The position of the boxes on each other is the way it should be as each pixel from each box keeps the relation of a 1:1 pixel grid. However on the right image I first doubled the original box image to prevent 'blurring' effect when scalling up in Premiere, put it on a 1:1 pixel canvas (where the image has 2:2 pixel grid by now) just like how it will be in Premiere, and tried to position the boxes one next to another. See that there's a confusion between the pixels on the 1:1 grid as they got merged one INTO another without saving the relation of a doubled pixel grid. Where if there was any option to work in doubled sized pixles in Premiere, it would have look like this:

How it should look like.png

So importing a doubled size images into Premiere like you suggested is way hard to keep tracking the moving objects in the scene, as you must remember to move them twice the times to each direction. Which means that if you want to move an object from one side of the screen to the other side, you'll have to do it frame by frame in a move of 2 pixels by frame, rather then positioning it in one place, make a keyframe, and then go to where the movement should end and place another keyframe.

Hope now my issue is clear.

All the best,

Gal Shemesh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To be honest, not entirely.  But then I don't really do any anumation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's completely fine Jim. I believe that if someone who's familiar with 2d animations will pop by this thread, then he or she will be able to understand what I mean and why it's so important feature to have in Premiere or After Effects.

Anyway thanks a lot for trying to help me out man! I appreciate your knowledege and time.

In the meantime I'll stick with my workarounds. But I'll be waiting for more members to participate in this query...

Best regards,

Gal Shemesh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 12, 2015 Feb 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this is an old unanswered post but appears way up top on the google search engine. I bet I wasn't the only frustrated with this... SO HERE'S THE ANSWER:
Right click on your image layer, Quality < set to Draft. Done, your pixelart remains sharp as if you're using "Nearest Neighbor" in Photoshop or "Point" in Unity.

I really don't know why it's so hidden... Anyhow, don't forget to render in Draft Quality as well when done. Hope this helps someone out there!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 20, 2015 Feb 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there Fabrazz,

I haven't logged-in to Adobe's forum for a quite long time (maybe over a year) and thought to login in order to see if there's an update patch of some sort that fixes another issue I raised which used to work quite well on CS5.5 [Dragging the Out Keyframes of a Clip doesn't snap properly to the last frame and disappear (CS6)‌] and saw your reply from 1 week ago for this thread. So first THANKS FOR YOUR INPUT! I really don't know why I wasn't notified via email when someone replies to my threads. I'd better go check my account settings here.

Anyway I tried to follow the steps of yours but I can't seem to find the 'Quality' option when I'm right-clicking on an image layer in Premiere Pro CS6. Thought you might meant to do this in Photoshop so I went there just to make sure and looked for this option but it's not there either. Any screenshot for where this option is hidden you can provide? I'm just like you really don't know why it's so hidden.

Many thanks!

Gal Shemesh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 28, 2015 Jul 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi t

I've hit this post multiple times by the means of Google while working on a project using video game sprites and I have the final actual solution, given you have access to Adobe Aftereffects.

I suggest you just make the pixel art part of your video however you want inside Premiere Pro. When you're done, import the finished sequence into Aftereffects. Here you just drag the sequence into the timeline and set it's setting to vector, which will result in the preview displaying the pixels clearly. Then just export the video from Aftereffects, setting the render quality to draft and re-import it into Premiere to add any titles or whatever. I haven't experimented with any effects and I don't know for sure what the draft render quality will do to any other components you may want to use in your video, so I wouldn't recommend rendering those things at the same time.

I hope this helps!

Tokopimv

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 20, 2021 Mar 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Gal,

This is my first post and I realise it may be a bit weird replying to your post after so long, but I've been trying to solve this too. With regard to Fabrazz's answer, I couldn't figure out what he meant either but found it by accident in the "comp" panel then found it also by right clicking and select "Quality" then "Draft" the pixels are sharp!!! See screenshots. Why is this so hard, it's easy in Photoshop, you'd expect some continuity across the Adobe apps. I'm using After Effects 2021.

Take Care,

Guy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 25, 2021 Aug 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Guy,

Thanks for your reply. It really is an old post.

I'm afraid that there's a small misunderstanding - I was referring to Premiere Pro and not After Effects. In After Effects you are correct; there is a way as you described to preserve the sharp properties of the pixels. However, in Premiere Pro there is no such thing.

Anyway, as a workaround I always scale-up my work in Photoshop in the Nearest Neighbor image interpolation, so no scaling is needed in Premiere Pro. The problem is that your data becomes twice as big - not that it's a problem in terms of disk space since we're talking here on pixel-art which is most of the time small, but when you need to go and make changes to the artwork during editing it makes the process more tedious as you need to scale the artwork back down to it's original 1:1 ratio to making the changes fluently, and then to re-scale it back up to be twice as big or so...

I'm not sure how Premiere CC behaves and if this flaw was fixed since CS6, but I'm still using my permanent licensed CS6 even though it doesn't receive any more updates. I just don't like the annual plans altogether.

Best regards,

Gal Shemesh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 06, 2022 May 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My guy, you saved my butt!

THANK YOU for taking the time to reply.
You are the commenter we need, not the one we deserve.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 16, 2019 Sep 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another somewhat inelegant solution is to scale normally (resulting in undesireable interpolation), but then to apply the Mosaic effect to repixelize.  I've found that in order to do this you first need to scale up the source material in one sequence and then place that sequence in a second (with the same resolution).  The Mosaic effect can then be applied in the second sequence to the embedded first sequence resulting in sharp edges unaffected by the scaling resampling.

This definitely has side effects:

• Extra blurring / contrast decrease occurs
  • The edges of the source material get blurred

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 25, 2021 Aug 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Benjamin,

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, I'm aware of the Mosaic effect. Although it's a nice way to make video footage look roughly pixelated, it still has like you said its blur side-effect. It was not meant to be used on pixel art material.

Best regards,

Gal Shemesh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 26, 2023 Mar 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found a great way that works in Adobe Premiere Pro 2022.

Autokroma has this plugin called Vizual PixelPerfect.  You can get it here:

https://www.autokroma.com/blog/Vizual-PixelPerfect-Upscale-Pixel-Art-Nearest-Neighbors-Premiere-Pro

Once installed, go into "Effects -> Video Effects", and now there's "Autokroma -> Vizual PixelPerfect". Apply it to the clip, then in the Effect Controls, choose "Scale" and set it to whatever size (so, 9.00 was used in the example below) and I can change "Interpolation algo", but I've left it at "Nearest".

The result can be seen in this screenshot of the outputted 4K clip.  The original footage was an uncompressed 256 x 224 .AVI from EmuHawk, but now it has been scaled up by 9.  If you zoom right in with an image editor, you can see it's actually not PERFECT, there's like a pixel-width of distortion at most, maybe I missed a setting, but it's certainly the simplest solution that is good enough for my purposes, and is probably what you're looking for, if you or anyone else is still wondering all these years later.

AutokromaVizual-Example.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 04, 2023 Apr 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My guy, believe it or not, you helped me, just a few days after you posted this! Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 20, 2023 Oct 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are my savior. I signed in just for upvoting you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 10, 2024 Apr 10, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Bro you are a huge lifesaver, it worked with ease, I installed the plugin but it did nothing and there was no guide as to how to use it, I thought it was gonna show up as an extesnion or something, but this worked with ease. Ty very very much good sirr 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines