7 Replies Latest reply: Sep 5, 2012 11:14 PM by pwillener RSS

RunDLL or sp.dll problem

For the last few months, whenever I restart my computer, I get the following  message:

"RunDLL" is in the top border of the window.

The body of the error message says "There was a problem starting C;\Users\MyName\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\sp.dll The specified module could not be found".

I am running Windows 7 Home Premium on a Dell Inspiron laptop with 4 GB memory.

Does anyone know how to solve this problem? I was thinking about deleting Adobe from the computer and then re-downloading it, but I am not sure if that is necessary or advisable.

• 1. Re: RunDLL or sp.dll problem
          Test Screen Name MVP

I am very concerned that this might not be an Adobe file at all, but a virus or similar hiding in an Adobe folder. However...the message seems to actually say that the file sp.dll doesn't exist. That might be a good sign. Have you had an antivirus (or antispyware) fix anything at the time this started?

Uninstalling Adobe Reader isn't likely to make the slightest difference, I don't think it's involved.

• 2. Re: RunDLL or sp.dll problem
            JMattero Community Member

My Antivirus is Windows Defender which, I believe runs in the background all of the time. I have not tried running a manual scan of any type. In looking for a solution, I ran sfc /scannow from a command prompt, which scanned and reported that it did not find any problems. Any other ideas?

• 3. Re: RunDLL or sp.dll problem
              Test Screen Name MVP

Well, as I said it is possible that the virus is already gone. The message seems to clearly show that a file is not there - just that whatever removed the virus left this (harmless?) effect behind.

• 4. Re: RunDLL or sp.dll problem
                Test Screen Name MVP

By the way, if you are satisified the virus is gone you can just stop whatever is trying to run it. Maybe this will work... From a run box type 'msconfig' and select the Startup Tab. You can uncheck the applications you wish to stop from loading with windows

• 5. Re: RunDLL or sp.dll problem

I went back to Windows Defender, and did a quick scan, and it showed everything is normal. I then looked at the HISTORY tab of defender, and it reports that 3 Trojans were removed, win32/Alureon.FO, win64/Alureon.gen!K and win64/Alureon.gen!K . All of these were successfully removed and occurred on different dates all in early August. Does that help you diagnose anything?

• 6. Re: RunDLL or sp.dll problem

I did a little more poking around using msconfig. In the startup folder is one entry that says the following (all on one line)

C:\Windows\sysWOW64\rundll32.exe "C:\User\JeffMattero\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\sp.dll", Service Main

I did not change the checkbox on that yet.

Does that help?

• 7. Re: RunDLL or sp.dll problem
                      pwillener ACP/MVPs

Yes, that is exactly what is causing that error popup during Windows startup.  Delete or disable it.