5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 5, 2012 11:12 AM by groove25

Is this a bug? Stroke does not display for rectangles?

mediafred Level 1

Working in a room full of new iMacs with CS6, I used the rectangle tool to draw shapes on screen and the shapes would not completely display. It was almsost like other shapes were covering parts of the shapes so for example only 2 of 4 lines on a rectangle would show, sometimes only 3 lines would show, etc. I tried changing the stroke from size 1 to 2 and sometimes that helped, sometimes closing the file and opening a new one helped, and other times nothing helped, even making the stroke a size 4 or 5. This problem occurred on multiple iMacs.

Is there a setting or preference that may be causing this? Is this a known problem?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Is this a bug? Stroke does not display for rectangles?
          groove25 Level 4

I gotta ask: Are you checking the Zoom level? For whatever reason, the default is often less than 100%, and this will definitely affect the rendering of vectors—not in the document, but on screen. I use the ⌘+ shortcut to quickly change to 100% zoom.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Is this a bug? Stroke does not display for rectangles?
            mediafred Level 1

Yup, I changed to various levels of zoom and that didn't fix it.

• 3. Re: Is this a bug? Stroke does not display for rectangles?
              groove25 Level 4

Just to be clear: 100% zoom is the way to go, for accurate rendering.

Have you tried viewing one of the Fireworks PNGs in Mac's Preview application? Preview is usually the default application for viewing any PNG, so double clicking on a Fireworks PNG will open it in Preview, and you can check whether the rectangles look correct or not. You could also try exporting the file into another format.

• 4. Re: Is this a bug? Stroke does not display for rectangles?
                mediafred Level 1

I just tried on a 1-yr old Macbook Pro and it did have the same problem. It seems as you suggested, the problem is when the document is not being viewed at 100%. This seems a bit strange, I know I don't have this problem in AI and it definitely makes it difficult to work when I have to zoom out. I don't see how this can not be considered a bug. I will try to find some way to report it to Adobe. Thanks for your help.1.png2.png3.png4.png

• 5. Re: Is this a bug? Stroke does not display for rectangles?
                  groove25 Level 4

Yeah, it's not a bug, but I do consider it a major weakness in Fireworks screen rendering behavior. Unlike AI, Fireworks is constantly in "Pixel Preview" mode, and it's locked into Nearest Neighbor zoom rendering—possibly the crudest of rendering algorithms. This might have been fine in the early days of web design, or even several years ago, but if you're using the app to design graphics for a high-resolution device (e.g. a retina display) on a standard resolution monitor, and you'd like to view the graphic at near the actual size (e.g. 60%), the results look awful.

I think this could be fixed by offering an additional View option (e.g. Improved Rendering) that would use a different rendering algorithm, such as Bicubic or even a mixture of Bicubic Smoother/Bicubic Sharper.

I created a post about this issue quite a few months back; however, I may not have submitted a feature request, because I was still using Fireworks 8 at the time and wasn't sure if CS5 had addressed the problem:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4335629

You can submit a feature request to Adobe regarding this issue using their official online reporting form:

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

There is at least one workaround: If you define an object as a Symbol and then resize the instance on the canvas, it will be rendered using the algorithm specified in FW's Preferences (under General > Interpolation). I think this works anyway; it's been a while since I tried it.