7 Replies Latest reply: Sep 5, 2012 11:24 AM by ibarrien RSS

Where are the Project files locally on Android

roberttk1967 Community Member

I had to copy all of the files off of my Galaxy Tab and reset it.  Now I want to move the Project files onto my new Galaxy Note 10.1 and I don't know where they are located in the Android file system.  Please help.

Thanks,

Robert

• 1. Re: Where are the Project files locally on Android
          Warunicorn MVP

Would like to know this myself as searching/browsing via a file manager didn't produce any results.

I suppose we could all just export them as PSD files or something similar but if they're brought back into PS Touch, they'll be flattened.  : /

• 2. Re: Where are the Project files locally on Android
            greule Adobe Employee

There is no easy way to access the PS Touch project files at Android file system level. I would recommend to sync your files to the Creative Cloud so that you can access them very easily from several devices.

-

Guido

• 3. Re: Where are the Project files locally on Android

That would be nice if I could but since i copied all the files off my

tablet and did a factory reset that won't work.  This is crazy if you can't

just go to a folder that has the files in it.  Why would these files be so

hidden?

Robert

• 4. Re: Where are the Project files locally on Android
                ibarrien Adobe Employee

Hi,

roberttk1967 wrote:

Why would these files be so hidden?

Robert

This is part of the way that Android and iOS work.

It is part of their security model to avoid other applications to access documents/data that they didn't create.

There are apps out there on Google Play that can handle backup/restore but I'm not sure how good they are on non rooted devices.

The easiest way to handle your problem is to follow greule's advice and use the automatic sync.
                If you try it out - do not delete the files on the origin before they have been completely synced to the destination device though.

Hope it helps,

Ignacio

• 5. Re: Where are the Project files locally on Android
                  TheoWerewolf

ibarrien wrote:

Hi,

roberttk1967 wrote:

Why would these files be so hidden?

Robert

This is part of the way that Android and iOS work.

It is part of their security model to avoid other applications to access documents/data that they didn't create.

There are apps out there on Google Play that can handle backup/restore but I'm not sure how good they are on non rooted devices.

The easiest way to handle your problem is to follow greule's advice and use the automatic sync.
                  If you try it out - do not delete the files on the origin before they have been completely synced to the destination device though.

Hope it helps,

Ignacio

I'm sorry - but while this is more or less correct for iOS, it's entirely incorrect for Android. .

All Android devices either have internal user storage that appears as an "SD" card (although it's not actually a card) or an external storage mechanism that typically is an actual SD or micro-SD card that is exposed as a storage device when the Android device is connected to a Windows system using a USB cable. Most modern Android devices also allow connecting external storage in the form of USB keys and even NTFS or FAT hard drives via their OTG USB port.

Android puts absolutely no restrictions on what apps can write to any of these. For example, the Camera app can let you choose to store all your photos on a removable storage card such as an external SD or microSD card.

There is simply no technical reason Photoshop Touch cannot let the use store their projects on the SD cards and have full access to it.

BTW, you kind of missed his actual problem. He can't actually sync anymore. Repeatedly asking him to do this is kind of pointless since it's not possible for him to do this. Especially when it shouldn't even be necessary to do it. Not everyone wants to put their work up on someone's servers. In short, the advice you're giving him is bad.

• 6. Re: Where are the Project files locally on Android

That is how I felt.  All the other programs allow access to user files, even where they are stored allot of times.  Never thought by just copying the contents of my entire device over to my hard drive on my computer I would lose valuable files I created and now don't have access to.  When I use photoshop on my computer I save the files and can copy them to a flash drive to take them to work for more editing, etc.  It is not like they need to protect these files, they are not proprietary and Android is not a closed system.  I just want my files, they have to be somewhere on there, even if I just have to copy over a folder I can't view it's contents, I would be ok with that.  I don't want to have to use "The Cloud" if I don't want to.

Robert

• 7. Re: Where are the Project files locally on Android
                      ibarrien Adobe Employee

Hi Robert,

I understand your situation.

Since you didn't find our advices helpful - please post it as a request in the Idea section about how you would like to have this handled.

Thanks,

Ignacio