Expand my Community achievements bar.

submit by email - two related questions

Level 1

Windows 7 Ultimate

MS Outlook 2007

LiveCycle Designer ES 8.2

Reader X

I'm very new to LiveCycle & have just created my first form with a "submit by email" button which sends the data from the form as an xml file.

I can see how sending as xml would make sense if the idea was to use the form to collect data from lots of sources that needed collating (e.g. a survey) but

1. What if it's something like a job application form, so I'd need to see each one seperately? So, how do I set the email button to send a copy of the completed form itself, as a pdf?
  2. If I do need to collate data, what do i do with the xml file - how do i get multiple xml files from different people to import into.........what, a spreadsheet, a database, something else.....?

Thanks,

Boris

6 Replies

Level 10

Hi,

for both tasks you need at least Acrobat.

For 1) because you want to submit the whole PDF, which requires additional rights applied to the form, so users with Reader are able to save changes to the PDF.

For 2) Acrobat has a distribute form workflow, you can use to automate the collection of form data.

Do you have Acrobat or only Reader?

Level 1

I've got Acrobat Pro 9 Extended, I forgot to mention that!

Level 1

Thanks @radzmar,

they've helped clarify things, though I might need to ask further questions as I'm not sure if my second question is explained there.

Boris

Employee

Hi Boris,

In Addition to Radzmar Post you can try the below mentioned steps to send the completed form as PDF and not XML

1. You'll need to change your email submit to a plain old "Button",
  2. In the Object tab specify the Control Type as "Submit". This will give you a Submit tab.
  3. Then on the Submit tab set the Submit to URL field to be mailto:mailaddress.
  4. In the Submit As dropdown select PDF.

If you want recipients using Reader to save form data, you'll need to make sure the PDF is Reader-enabled in Acrobat

Hope it helps

~Pranav

Level 1

Thanks to both of you: radzmar for pointing me to good background/theoretical info, and pranav for nice simple instructions!